News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It starts with riders who will use transits over cars. Also, traffic fines are higher than ours and if you don't pay X fine by X date, you may not see your car for a well until that fine is paid.

Quality of service goes a long way getting more riders.

A number of cities and countries are offer lower fares to get people to not only use transit, but the intercity trains as well.
Ok whatever complaining about it here does nothing to change anything except annoy people who have to read about it all of the time. I get that you and some other people think that they do everything better in Europe but not everyone wants to hear about it all of the time.

Ok whatever complaining about it here does nothing to change anything except annoy people who have to read about it all of the time. I get that you and some other people think that they do everything better in Europe but not everyone wants to hear about it all of the time.
Um, you realize "Toronto is not Europe", in response to a post complaining about Toronto's absence on a list of European cities, is very, VERY different from the non argument of "Toronto is not Europe" in response to suggestions that we do things more like Europe, right?

You know what annoys me? The complete and total lack of imagination and problem solving ingrained in every corner of this city.

If Toronto innovated more and defended itself against comparisons to Europe less, we might not see so many of those comparisons to begin with.

Um, you realize "Toronto is not Europe", in response to a post complaining about Toronto's absence on a list of European cities, is very, VERY different from the non argument of "Toronto is not Europe" in response to suggestions that we do things more like Europe, righ
Why does it matter to you. It's a silly argument either way.
You know what annoys me? The complete and total lack of imagination and problem solving ingrained in every corner of this city.
Maybe it's because people are stuck in the ideas that somewhere else does it better and they don't want to think about another way of doing things. The everything is better somewhere else argument is meaningless.
If Toronto innovated more and defended itself against comparisons to Europe less, we might not see so many of those comparisons to begin with.
Nope because someone will always see something better and say that that's better which is why we need to stop with the everything in Europe is better stuff. It's a boring argument that says absolutely nothing other than offers an opinion that gives no actual ideas.

Not Europe again

There's nothing wrong with constructive comparisons to other systems where we examine specific ideas and policies and see how they work out, having due regard for different contexts.

There is something wrong w/raising Europe (or anywhere else) for the sake of doing so, or for self-flagellation.

Other people's kinks are none of my business, and I'd be happy to keep it that way.

Complaining that Toronto is not on a list of European cities is odd; Toronto is located on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

But there does seem to be a reflex from some people (looking at you, @EastYorkTTCFan) where whenever a solution is mentioned that doesn't originate from here, they get defensive.

At one point, somebody (can't remember who) said that elevated rail was impossible because we'd have to design new pillar designs. I mentioned the possibility of stealing from Vancouver, which got a defensive response from multiple forum users.

When there is a specific problem which has been solved elsewhere, it is not harmful to take inspiration and adapt it to our own use, whether that be Helsinki, Tokyo, Ottawa, or Schenectady, NY. But these ideas should stand on their own merit, because they are more efficient or produce a better experience, or whatever.

John Tory for example uses the subway to get to and from work each workday. However, not buses or streetcars, so doesn't see the bunching.

Doug Ford on the other hand uses his gas-gussying SUV to park in his private parking spot at Queen's Park. Which is why he's keeping the gasoline tax cut into next year, it benefits himself.
FhdY4L6WQAIdiXF
I don’t understand the hate on cutting the gas tax, the hst increase on gas prices has outweighed it and the cut does help people

I don’t understand the hate on cutting the gas tax, the hst increase on gas prices has outweighed it and the cut does help people

The Gas tax cut is offensive insofar as, its expensive, costing the government a great deal of money, meanwhile we see hospitals starved of resources and social assistance rates increasing below inflation when they were already anemic.

That same reasoning would work for opposing corporate tax reduction, personal income tax reduction, sales tax reduction etc.

When you don't have enough money for important priorities giving away more seems foolish.

The second problem with the gas tax reduction is that it isn't particularly good at combating inflation, or its worst effects. Inflation, gratuitous price hikes aside, is a function of demand exceeding supply. So you don't want to give people who have money to spend, more money; that simply gooses inflation.

What you want is two things, first to help those in greatest need, who literally don't have enough for the basics, that would surely start with people who can't afford a car............... but you also want to reward savings and penalize conspicuous consumption, particularly in sectors that are experiencing inordinate inflation.

Finally, you want to avoid negative implications from any policy move, where practical. Lowering the cost of filling a gas tank, by nature, makes driving more attractive, particularly of ICE-based cars (as opposed to electric).

It would be more logical to take the exact same sum of money and temporarily lower transit fares as this would reduce costs disproportionately for lower income earners, is less likely to drive needless consumption, promotes ecologically sustainable behavior and combats the cost of inflation.

Put simply, its bad public policy. ( said a by a car owner, and driver)

Last edited:
The Gas tax cut is offensive insofar as, its expensive, costing the government a great deal of money, meanwhile we see hospitals starved of resources and social assistance rates increasing below inflation when they were already anemic.

That same reasoning would work for opposing corporate tax reduction, personal income tax reduction, sales tax reduction etc.

When you don't have enough money for important priorities giving away more seems foolish.

The second problem with the gas tax reduction is that it isn't particularly good at combating inflation, or its worst effects. Inflation, gratuitous price hikes aside, is a function of demand exceeding supply. So you don't want to give people who have money to spend, more money; that simply gooses inflation.

What you want is two things, first to help those in greatest need, who literally don't have enough for the basics, that would surely start with people who can't afford a car............... but you also want to reward savings and penalize conspicuous consumption, particularly in sectors that are experiencing inordinate inflation.

Finally, you want to avoid negative implications from any policy move, where practical. Lowering the cost of filling a gas tank, by nature, makes driving more attractive, particularly of ICE-based cars (as opposed to electric).

It would be more logical to take the exact same sum of money and temporarily lower transit fares as this would reduce costs disproportionately for lower income earners, is less likely to drive needless consumption, promotes ecologically sustainable behavior and combats the cost of inflation.

Put simply, its bad public policy. ( said a by a car owner, and driver)
The provincial gasoline tax was supposed to pay for the building and MAINTENANCE of the provincial highways (400 series, not the Gardiner nor Don Valley). Without that gasoline tax, the building and maintenance funds has to come from general revenue (sales tax, income tax, etc.). As more electric vehicles are coming, we'll have to use general revenue as the source. Which is also why tolls should be an alternative, if you use it then pay to use it.

Last edited:
This is sickening. The TTC needs to strengthen security, or people will stop taking transit for good.

I've been using the TTC for many many years, and quite honestly I dont think i've seen the level of crazy been as high as what we're seeing now.

To be honest I cant blame the TTC because there's only so much they can do, but what do we expect to happen when: rental costs are out of control, food prices are nuts, lack of shelter space, etc. Of course i'm simplying the issues, but it's pretty complex. With regards to this specific incident(s), the guy is just an idiot and most likely none of the above applies.

I have to go to St. Joseph’s Health Centre (located on The Queensway between Parkside Drive & Roncesvalles Avenue) on Tuesday. Luckily(?), I know that the 504C bus will take me to Glendale Avenue on The Queensway from the Dundas West Station. But the TTC website does not show a map for that on 504 streetcar (had to Google search for one, PDF link ) . The current website map shows the old 504 route, when it should be showing the diversions.

20220904_504_diversions-1.jpg

However, I will be giving myself an extra 30 minutes, in case of customer and operational problems that the management has or will not rectify.

Wish they could put in a pedestrian crossing on Parkside Drive at The Queensway.
1670272753976-png.443024

PS. This is where Parkside Drive & Indian Road met at a fork in the road before they built The Queensway.

Attachments

• 1670272753447.png
    1670272753447.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

Back