News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I have to go to St. Joseph’s Health Centre (located on The Queensway between Parkside Drive & Roncesvalles Avenue) on Tuesday. Luckily(?), I know that the 504C bus will take me to Glendale Avenue on The Queensway from the Dundas West Station. But the TTC website does not show a map for that on 504 streetcar (had to Google search for one, PDF link ) . The current website map shows the old 504 route, when it should be showing the diversions.

20220904_504_diversions-1.jpg

However, I will be giving myself an extra 30 minutes, in case of customer and operational problems that the management has or will not rectify.

Wish they could put in a pedestrian crossing on Parkside Drive at The Queensway.
1670272753976-png.443024

PS. This is where Parkside Drive & Indian Road met at a fork in the road before they built The Queensway.
Arrived at Dundas West Station and waited 24 minutes for the 504C bus to take me to Roncesvalles & Queen (where I walked to St. Joseph's, because the eastbound Glendale stop was out-of-service). Along the way, noticed BUNCHES of 504C buses heading for the stations, almost one every 1 to 3 minutes apart.

Chief Executive Officer Richard J. Leary has a failing grade on his performance review. ( 𝐅 )

"Not weather, there's a van perched on the tracks."​

There's this new invention called a "tow truck". Instead of calling a bus, call a tow truck to move it.

Needs to be fined $100 for each and every passenger and operator on board each and every streetcar that the auto is blocking.

There's this new invention called a "tow truck". Instead of calling a bus, call a tow truck to move it.
I like NYC’s solution of mounting cameras on buses and automatically fining people in the bus lane. 14th St doesn’t have separation, but the wide publicity around the move and aggressive enforcement has really changed behavior. Buses really do motor down now.

I have to agree with W.K. Lis though: highly unlikely that would get instituted here, since Toronto is still quite car-centric.

I like NYC’s solution of mounting cameras on buses and automatically fining people in the bus lane. 14th St doesn’t have separation, but the wide publicity around the move and aggressive enforcement has really changed behavior. Buses really do motor down now.

I have to agree with W.K. Lis though: highly unlikely that would get instituted here, since Toronto is still quite car-centric.

Not just that Toronto is car centric, most people do not know how to drive properly. It mystifies me how people manage to get a license sometimes.

As the saying goes, common sense is not so common and it shows when people drive.

Earlier today, someone with a weapon was involved in an altercation with Toronto Police at High Park.

From what I understand, TPS drew their weapons but did not discharge them. SIU DOES NOT appear to be involved at the time of writing.

This will impact your commute this evening.

20221208_154014.jpg

Earlier today, someone with a weapon was involved in an altercation with Toronto Police at High Park.

From what I understand, TPS drew their weapons but did not discharge them. SIU DOES NOT appear to be involved at the time of writing.

View attachment 443819
Two women stabbed. One has passed away.

Bring back institutions.

That vast majority are being held hostage by the unhinged minority. It’s insanity for those taking public transit or otherwise live in the city.

View attachment 443819

Likely another nutter off their meds, probably already known to police as an EDP. I’m tired of the loons in this city. Time to bring back the padded cells. But we‘ve seen this path all to well before…. Found NCR, institutionalized for perhaps 24-36 months, then halfway house, then back on the street.

Likely another nutter off their meds, probably already known to police as an EDP. I’m tired of the loons in this city. Time to bring back the padded cells. But we‘ve seen this path all to well before…. Found NCR, institutionalized for perhaps 24-36 months, then halfway house, then back on the street.
Or we could, as a society, actually pay for mental health. Perhaps it's an and. I'm sure that some people need institutional care they can not receive. But mental health care is really important

Or we could, as a society, actually pay for mental health. Perhaps it's an and. I'm sure that some people need institutional care they can not receive. But mental health care is really important
Absolutely, and mental health funding needs to include if absolutely necessary for public safety, preemptive institutionalization of the potentially dangerous insane. But not every crazed bugger stabbing, incinerating and pushing women onto the tracks on the TTC is an otherwise normal person who’s broken; some people are just bad.

Last edited:
Another attack against women. My heart goes out to the victim's and their families of this sickening and UNNECESSARY violence. And also to those on the train who had to witness it.

This is why people drive, or avoid taking the TTC altogether. i said this just the other day on this very thread, the TTC needs to strengthen security!!!

I find the focus on strengthening TTC security to be largely missing the forest for the trees.

What big picture good is being achieved by kicking all the violent folk off the transit system if they're still able to roam the streets afterwards? A transit system is a reflection of the city in which it runs. New York's subway was a hellhole in the 70s and 80s because New York itself was a crime ridden cesspool. We need a top down strategy that deals with crime city-wide, otherwise you will be perfectly safe on the subway, but you'll be whacked over the head when you step outside.

But not every crazed bugger stabbing, incinerating and pushing women onto the tracks on the TTC is an otherwise normal person who’s broken; some people are just bad.
At the same time, I'm using a TTC a lot less since the pandemic started - but at the same time I'm seeing MORE crazy on the streetcar, and especially the subway, than I used to. I mean there was always some crazy (by which I mean clearly off their meds, rather than just rudeness).

Meanwhile the homeless on the street have been rising for about a decade, after having actually dropped off somewhat in the late 00s (at least anecdotally). It's quite clear we need more emergency housing, more low income housing, more income support, and more mental health capacity.

Perhaps there's a few that really need institutionalization. But much of this could be fixed by dealing with the root causes. And even if all I suggest doesn't help a particular individual never get to the stage they are stabbing people; then at least it would be easier to spot those that might really further attention.

Back