News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It gets worse, they were found in a condo stairwell and slashed a cop with a machete
To be very clear - and this matters - they swung a machete at a cop, i.e. to my knowledge the cop was not slashed.

Clearly a very stupid move.

Unfortunately for the teen and the force, the teen later ended up with injuries post detainment, and the SIU is investigating.

Meanwhile...

Atlanta​

From link.

3A3FE16A-C273-40B4-A578-E5AC3920CBBE-thumb-autox1333-33084.jpeg

Turns out that, flying out from Pearson on Thursday evening, I left behind rapidly dropping temperatures and freezing rain that, frankly, should have caused a snow day in Kitchener-Waterloo. Fortunately, Erin called one on her own. I arrived in Atlanta to temperatures in the upper teens, not needing a coat.

I did, however, appear to pull that wash of cold air down after me. Through most of Friday, the temperature in Atlanta dropped like a stone, and the winds picked up tremendously. By evening, it was close to freezing, and the wind chill was putting it below zero. Not something I suspect Atlantans are comfortable with. So I guess I should apologize. Good thing I packed that coat.

After a breakfast of chicken and waffles, I spent the day exploring Atlanta's Metro system, who locals refer to as "Marta". The system as a whole goes by the acronym MARTA, but when I asked for directions to the subway or the metro at the Airport, the person in the uniform asked me, "do you mean the Marta?" So, yes.

The system clearly has its roots in the eighties. Construction started in 1975, with the first segment opening in 1979. It reached the Airport in 1988. There are four lines, meeting downtown at an interchange that Toronto could only dream of called Five Points. They spread out of downtown in a cross, before branching off to go west, northwest, north, northeast, east and south. They cover most of the quadrants of the city within its Beltway.

I also have the impression that it was built primarily with an eye for tourists, and with an eye to nabbing the Olympics (which it hosted in 1996). Apparently, there was a neat bit of staging municipal officials accomplished where guests from the IOC were shepherded out of a conference room in a government office tower, taken down the elevator, and out into a station where a train just happened to pull up to meet them (it had been parked in a siding, waiting for the municipal officials' call). Supposedly, this presentation was a particular highlight for the IOC officials, and a big reason the Olympics went to Atlanta in 1996.

And once the Olympics were achieved, that was it. Well, almost. A small two-station extension followed in 2001, but no extensions have been added to the Metro since, and I'm sorry to say that the system feels a bit underfunded. The stations are clean, but haven't been updated for years, and the same seems to go for the equipment.

Riders could do with some love in the form of more frequent service. The four lines combine into two-line combos through the downtown which offer better-than five minute frequencies, but in the branches where each line operates individually, the trains come every ten minutes, at best. Outside of rush hours people have to wait up to twenty minutes for trains at some stations.

You can tell that people depend on this system. The train from the airport as I arrived late at night was packed, as was a bus I used at the beginning of the afternoon rush hour, but in both cases, some passengers had to wait twenty minutes for the service to arrive. They deserve better, but many in Atlanta acknowledge that the city has been revamped to address the needs of the car. Other than the investment in the Metro around the Atlanta Olympics and continued tourism trade, public transit is left as an afterthought for citizens who have no alternatives.

Still, I was pleased to have a chance to ride, as there are some impressive things to take in about the system. Five Points station is exactly what Toronto's Bloor-Yonge should be (I know; hindsight is 20-20), with side and island platforms used so trains an open doors on all sides on all lines, speeding up boarding and detraining. Asthetically, Peachtree Centre is a marvel, blasted so deep underground, it takes three minutes to get from the street to the platform by escalator (Atlanta is surprisingly hilly -- the next station, Five Points, is practically at the surface).

And then there's the Green Line which, unlike the other three lines, operates with two-car trains as opposed to the standard six. It's trains are dwarfed by the lengthy platforms it shares with the Blue Line, before the line breaks off on a single station extension before reaching Bankhead, the cutest little station in a beautiful natural area that's only long enough to handle those two-car trains. I do wonder what the plan is, here: are they intending to extend the Green Line northwest, keeping the stations small to save money? Bankhead opened in 1992, however, and nothing has been added to the Green Line since.

There's a lot to like about Atlanta's Metro system, but it could use a little love. Sadly, given the political climate of Georgia, I doubt it's going to get it from the state.

I boarded Amtrak's Crescent, which arrived roughly on time at Atlanta's Peachtree station. Today is a travel day, taking in the sights of North Carolina and Virginia before ploughing up the Northeast Corridor to Newark. Hopefully, it will give me the chance and some inspiration to do some writing.

Another disturbing incident, man pushed onto the tracks. You just don't know what psycho is lurking around the station. I always have a plan on subway platforms. I never stand by the edge and I lean against the pillars if possible, so no one can get behind me.

Racist nutcase has been arrested.

Board Meeting - February 28, 2023

From link.

Meeting Info​

Date:Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Start Time:10:00 a.m. – Public Session
Location:Committee Room 2, 100 Queen Street West & Virtual Meeting (Hybrid)

Presentations/Reports/Other Business​

Item 1: Chief Executive Officer’s Report – February 2023 (For Information)

Item 2: Approved Minutes of the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) General Monthly Meeting for November 24, 2022 (For Information)​

Item 3: Community Safety Issues and Response (For Action)​

Item 4: Fare Modernization Update (Confidential Attachment – this report contains information that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals and information about a position, plan, procedure, criteria or instruction to be applied to any negotiations carried on, or to be carried on, by or on behalf of the TTC) (For Action)​

Item 5: Resumption of Ticketing (For Action)​

Item 6: 2023 Service Adjustments – Phase 1 (For Action)​

Item 7: Transit Network Expansion Update (For Action)​

Item 8: Gateway Market Canada Inc. and Tobmar Investments International Inc. (For Action)​

Item 9: TTC Customer Car Parking Lot Lease Renewal (For Action)​

Item 10: Dundas West Second Exit/Entrance and Metrolinx Bloor GO/UP Express Interconnection (Confidential Attachment - this report contains information about a trade secret or scientific, technical, commercial, financial or labour relations information, supplied in confidence to the City or local board, which, if disclosed, could reasonably be expected to prejudice significantly the competitive position or interfere significantly with the contractual or other negotiations of a person, group of persons, or organization) (For Action)​

Item 11: Declaration of Surplus Property - Main Street Station (For Action)​

Item 12: Procurement Authorization – Supply of 88 Cargo Vans for Non-Revenue Fleet (For Action)​

Item 13: Appointment to TTC Pension Plan Board of Directors (For Action)​

I was surprised the TTC is still selling tokens. (From CEO Report)

Update on new PRESTO readers, end of token sales to third-party retailers

In February, the TTC informed our customers and third-party retail partners that the final day customers will be able to purchase TTC tokens at shops across the city will be March 24, 2023. TTC customers should switch to PRESTO after this date. The TTC ended the sale of tickets at third-party retailers last July, and stopped selling tickets and tokens at stations at the end of 2019 in our continued progress towards a modernized fare payment system. New PRESTO card readers are being installed across the system that will support open payment when it is introduced on the TTC later this year. As more payment options become available on PRESTO, there is less of a need to continue to sell legacy fare products. The rollout of the new PRESTO card readers is well underway. The Wheel-Trans fleet was equipped with new readers at the end of last year. The remaining fleet of buses and streetcars is scheduled to be completed by the end of March. All fare gates will also be updated with new card readers to enable open payment by June. TTC customers are still able to pay their fare with any unused tokens or tickets they have as no end date has been set for their acceptance by the TTC. Customers can switch to PRESTO at any time by purchasing and loading a card with money or a monthly pass at fare vending machines at all TTC stations; Shoppers Drug Mart locations; online at prestocard.ca; on the PRESTO app or at the TTC’s Customer Service Centre at 1900 Yonge St., above Davisville Station.

When Queen is closed to traffic @ Yonge - starting in mid-2023? - the plan was for the 501 to be diverted via Adelaide. As one might expect it is screwed up and there will be busses for 20 months! From CEO Report

The TTC committed to deliver the first part of this project, the tracks on Adelaide Street from Charlotte Street to York Street. This track work was substantially completed in late 2022. The TTC is still refining the detailed design of the infrastructure with the City and Metrolinx, including elements related to utility relocation, stop locations, and streetscape and traffic signal design. Construction on the remaining portion of the work was to start in Q2 2022. However, the amount and complexity of utility conflicts and relocations that have been identified through site surveys has surpassed previous expectations and has delayed the start of the construction of the streetcar tracks for the diversion. Currently, the TTC, Metrolinx, City of Toronto and various utility owners are working very closely to resolve all of the utility conflicts and relocations as expediently as possible. Metrolinx has identified that the potential delay to complete the streetcar detour work will result in approximately 20 months of shuttle bus service commencing in early May 2023. The TTC is still working closely with Metrolinx and the City on exploring options to optimize the construction schedule of the Adelaide civil and streetcar track construction work to reduce the duration of shuttle bus service.

The TTC has finished their part of the tracks, this seems to be Metrolinx and the utilities what a surprise!

When Queen is closed to traffic @ Yonge - starting in mid-2023? - the plan was for the 501 to be diverted via Adelaide. As one might expect it is screwed up and there will be busses for 20 months! From CEO Report

The TTC committed to deliver the first part of this project, the tracks on Adelaide Street from Charlotte Street to York Street. This track work was substantially completed in late 2022. The TTC is still refining the detailed design of the infrastructure with the City and Metrolinx, including elements related to utility relocation, stop locations, and streetscape and traffic signal design. Construction on the remaining portion of the work was to start in Q2 2022. However, the amount and complexity of utility conflicts and relocations that have been identified through site surveys has surpassed previous expectations and has delayed the start of the construction of the streetcar tracks for the diversion. Currently, the TTC, Metrolinx, City of Toronto and various utility owners are working very closely to resolve all of the utility conflicts and relocations as expediently as possible. Metrolinx has identified that the potential delay to complete the streetcar detour work will result in approximately 20 months of shuttle bus service commencing in early May 2023. The TTC is still working closely with Metrolinx and the City on exploring options to optimize the construction schedule of the Adelaide civil and streetcar track construction work to reduce the duration of shuttle bus service.

The TTC has finished their part of the tracks, this seems to be Metrolinx and the utilities what a surprise!
Easy solution is to extend the track on York south to King (and make it two-way through King), and forget Adelaide past York.

Easy solution is to extend the track on York south to King (and make it two-way through King), and forget Adelaide past York.
The extension of York to King is good (and has been made before) but the section of Adelaide that is not going to have tracks for 20 months is the Victoria to York section. The TTC has already laid rails from York to Spadina. The Victoria to York leg is actually the by-pass.

The extension of York to King is good (and has been made before) but the section of Adelaide that is not going to have tracks for 20 months is the Victoria to York section. The TTC has already laid rails from York to Spadina. The Victoria to York leg is actually the by-pass.
Yeah I meant also move the eastbound bypass completely from Adelaide to King until the new track is ready. It has benefits of using the King ROW and also a better interface with the subway at Yonge.

Thoguh all this assumes they could build the track on York and pivot to redo the King-York intersection that quickly.

Reactions: max
Yeah I meant also move the eastbound bypass completely from Adelaide to King until the new track is ready. It has benefits of using the King ROW and also a better interface with the subway at Yonge.

Thoguh all this assumes they could build the track on York and pivot to redo the King-York intersection that quickly.
1 month to do it and can't be done until the summer if then. Have to have the special track work here in a few months if possible. Then to build the full intersection tracks up at Hillcrest as a full built out and then ship to site in section.

1 month to do it and can't be done until the summer if then. Have to have the special track work here in a few months if possible. Then to build the full intersection tracks up at Hillcrest as a full built out and then ship to site in section.
I compare it to the case of an estimated 20-month bus substitution (wanna bet it's longer than 20 months?) and it sounds like it could still be a better option, and at a minimum an option now to at least consider.

Last edited:
I compare it to the case of an estimated 20-month bus substitution (wanna bet it's longer than 20 months?) and it sounds like it could still be a better option, and at a minimum an option now to at least consider.
Its worth it based on Toronto Hydro Work and other infrastructure work, other than the time line for getting special trackwork. The trackwork for the intersection has to built as a full layout up at Hillcrest and ship in sections to the site to be put back together. It takes time to build the intersection at Hillcrest and no idea how long that is. Intersections take about a month to do and maybe it could be done in 2-3 weeks working 7/24 with man power on site at all time to do the work, subject to weather.

Removing a northbound lanes for traffic will tick the car folks off as well loosing parking spots. So what.

There is already a curve from eastbound King to northbound York. There are no curves (or track!) at the moment at York & Adelaide. I do not recall seeing any diagrams of the curves they have planned and, I assume, ordered for York & Adelaide but suspect it will not include northbound York to eastbound Adelaide. As Drum says, getting special track made takes months. There is no southbound track on York yet but they have been planning to add it from Queen to Adelaide (and ought to bring it down the last short block to King for system resilience.)

Last edited:

Back