News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I can sort of see why the Union would want to put up barriers between the operator and passengers.

With the increase in the numbers of mentally ill and homeless using the system as a shelter it is no surprise that the Union would want to separate people. They likely want to protect their members from a homeless person strung out on drugs (or with hygiene issues) coming into contact with the operator.

If nothing else, separate passengers and staff may help fend off any unsafe work refusals.

When operating a vehicle from a cab with a closed door; the additional cloth barrier is an immaterial difference to anyone's safety.

When entering and exiting the cab, in order to leave the train for a crew change etc, there's also no change to vulnerability.

It strikes me as an odd 'feel good' thing that makes absolutely no tangible difference.

* The one thing I would note where this might be seen as useful to an operator, is the increasing tendency of those with bikes, often E-Bikes, to park them in that spot beside the cab on Line 2 trains.

That actually obstructs entering/exiting the cab, and in light of the recent fire, may also be seen as an added safety risk if the bike is literally blocking the cab door.

It wasn't the Commission or management that proposed this. And in fact, the Commission has tried to do away with it.

Dan
Good to know. Thank you for the correction.

I can sort of see why the Union would want to put up barriers between the operator and passengers.

With the increase in the numbers of mentally ill and homeless using the system as a shelter it is no surprise that the Union would want to separate people. They likely want to protect their members from a homeless person strung out on drugs (or with hygiene issues) coming into contact with the operator.
I have a feeling the bus operators, with their only partially enclosed work stations (especially on the remaining diesel Orions), or even streetcar ops, whose cab anyone can press right up against, might call shenanigans on this.

If nothing else, separate passengers and staff may help fend off any unsafe work refusals.
Until the subway employee leaves the protective confines of their vinyl barrier bubble.

I have a feeling the bus operators, with their only partially enclosed work stations (especially on the remaining diesel Orions), or even streetcar ops, whose cab anyone can press right up against, might call shenanigans on this.

Prior to the installation of the shields, when my Father was still working as a bus operator, they tried to force him to wear a seatbelt while driving.

He refused and stated that he was not going to fight with his seatbelt as someone tries to assault him. His thinking was that if he was going to be assaulted by a passenger, he wanted to be able to get up and defend himself.

His idea of defending himself was knocking someone out in self defense if they tried to assault him. Thankfully it only came to that once early in his career when someone was attacking his fellow operator. on the job.

As it turns out at the time, ATU 113 backed his stance and shortly thereafter the shields were installed on buses (though the two incidents are likely unrelated).

From the ACAT minutes on next week's TTC agenda, this item caught my attention:

1705700359040.png

Source: https://cdn.ttc.ca/-/media/Project/...15dfbdb&hash=26149ACED78BA7C0CD4D70F2DA54E8F0

There was no further information; though I wonder if @smallspy might have some insight.

Jan 18
More up on my site

Had better daylight to have a look at the work at Russell and noticed a few things I did not see on Sunday.

There are signs up at each entrance/exit for the yard on Queen with in bound saying poles only entering and no poles allow when exiting. The inbound switch tracks for westbound is plug either Permanently or temporary while the yard is rebuilt.

Overhead support wires being strung for the north end of the carhouse. Once the OS is in place, the cars will be able to go in one end and out the other end than the current backing out that has to take place.

Cannot see anything from the south end, but it does have the track numbers there. I was wrong saying track 24 when there is only 22 tracks.

From what I have seen to date, track 22 is the service track for problem cars or cars need service and clean.

Was able to get a closer shot of track 8 and 9 currently next to the carhouse and it looks there is to be a wider space between those 2 tracks, but not enough for a wall for the new extension. With new switches and tracks going back in where they were before is saying to me, the extension will be for 2 tracks not one.
53474788604_d4180ea1f3_b.jpg

53474893800_eb8248d0cf_b.jpg

53474903255_2d8d13d0d7_b.jpg

53474893620_a3880afe5d_b.jpg

53474483811_c06305b223_b.jpg

53473567967_5af76965ea_b.jpg

I have taken the TTC Line 1 Finch subway for the first time in months about 5 or 6 times, and every time we absolutely crawled from Eglinton to Union and back the whole way. Majority of times are off peak.

What's going on? I thought ATC was supposed to solve everything, and now it's slower than ever,?

I'm going to have to stop taking it, it's unbearable. Took us 1 hour to get from union to Eglinton tonight.

I have taken the TTC Line 1 Finch subway for the first time in months about 5 or 6 times, and every time we absolutely crawled from Eglinton to Union and back the whole way. Majority of times are off peak.

What's going on? I thought ATC was supposed to solve everything, and now it's slower than ever,?

I'm going to have to stop taking it, it's unbearable. Took us 1 hour to get from union to Eglinton tonight.
There have been several e-notices of 'track-work' in that segment. I suspect they are doing a multi-day (or night) job and are running n 'temporary track' until it's finished. Sometimes there is a choice of a complete day-long or weekend-long shut-down or regular overnight work but slow trains.

On Friday evening there was mention of damaged rail on the train PA. train was slow Bloor-St Clair where I got off

I was shocked seeing the new hoarding at platform level and the new wall panels yesterday. I was starting to think that this project wouldn't get finished this century.
There's still St. Patrick - meh, what's another decade? Nobody in Toronto cares.

There's still St. Patrick - meh, what's another decade? Nobody in Toronto cares.
Though I agree that work at both QP and St Pat's has taken far too long, the TTC did have to do lots of work behind the panels and I am hopeful that now QP is being finished, St Pat's will follow soon. We will see....

Back