News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I thought the T1s - barring the seat issue - also aged quite well; remember the ceiling of the H6s having drillholes for AC (or whatever it is) repairs?

One thing that almost none of the trains have resolved - inaudible emergency real-life announcements.

AoD
Audio needs to be improved along with larger, more functional digital displays.

I thought the T1s - barring the seat issue - also aged quite well; remember the ceiling of the H6s having drillholes for AC (or whatever it is) repairs?

One thing that almost none of the trains have resolved - inaudible emergency real-life announcements.

AoD
The T1s actually received a bit of a refresh a few years ago. They also received LED interior lighting.

I can't seem to find a dedicated Rapid to thread - but at Council's Exec Committee there is an upcoming item to expedite transit lanes on Dufferin and Bathurst between Eglinton and Lake Shore, to support the FIFA World Cup

Reactions: PL1
I can't seem to find a dedicated Rapid to thread - but at Council's Exec Committee there is an upcoming item to expedite transit lanes on Dufferin and Bathurst between Eglinton and Lake Shore, to support the FIFA World Cup
There are two FIFA items n Exec agenda. I see no mention of transit lanes though it is certainly a good idea. Can you post the link?

EDIT. You may be referring to:

1721082806696.png

The actual Report is not yet posted.

Last edited:

I believe this is the thread you're looking for:

It was started before the RapidTO brand was applied.

Perhaps we should add that to the title at this point to make it easier to find.

Moving to longitudinal seating is a no-brainer for a system that is perpetually crowded (i.e. Line 1) - but I suspect some killjoys are going to make a lot of noise around any attempt to go that route.
Someone with a better memory may confirm but was it the TR order (when Howard Moscoe said the seats needed to conform to larger rear ends) where the accessibility folks said that full longitudinal seating would screw over people with certain types of motion sickness susceptibility?

It will be interesting how the Ontario Line cars feel space-wise and seat-wise when compared to subway cars ~40 cm wider

Someone with a better memory may confirm but was it the TR order (when Howard Moscoe said the seats needed to conform to larger rear ends) where the accessibility folks said that full longitudinal seating would screw over people with certain types of motion sickness susceptibility?

It will be interesting how the Ontario Line cars feel space-wise and seat-wise when compared to subway cars ~40 cm wider

Because no other city had people with these certain types of motion sickness? As to larger rear ends - provide a seat or two per row with increased width - like hospitals and clinics at waiting areas do nowadays.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: T3G
Not sure if it has been posted yet, but the design for the Second Generation Rockets has been updated:
Before worrying about redesigning the new trains, shouldn't they be more concerned about securing funding first? Have the feds finally stepped up?
Interesting how this is not a concern in NYC, where they went back to full longitudinal seating ever since they went back from 75' to 60' cars on the B division, and the A division never saw forward facing seats since the R110A prototype.
Probably about the same as riding the NYC A division vs. B division.

All I remember was there was a survey on their website, most people preferred the T-1 layout over perimeter seating.

All I remember was there was a survey on their website, most people preferred the T-1 layout over perimeter seating.
Definitely prefer the T-1 layout. The perimeter seats at a last resort for me.

I unequivocally prefer transverse seating to longitudinal.

The latter is very cattle-car, its less comfortable/pleasant in any number of ways, not just for larger riders, but those riding beside them.......and there's the matter of 'stuff' that is to say, many people are carrying things on transit from groceries to a purse to knapsack to a briefcase....doing that while standing or with longitudinal seating is royal pain for you, and for everyone else.

I'm not one for the lowest common denominator as a standard........people need to demand the most comfortable standard feasible, not accept the least.

Lowest common denominator is a matter of opinion. I have no horse in the race of longitudinal vs. transverse seating, but I would much prefer plastic seating instead of cloth seating, even though the opinion here seems to sway very much in the opposite direction. Personally I think that cloth seating in cities with populations of over 200k is a hygienic nightmare, and would much rather accept the slight decrease in discomfort in exchange for the lack of absorbent seats. If you're going to have absorbent seats, your cleaning regimen needs military levels of oversight and strictness, otherwise it is just giving off the illusion of luxury and comfort while actually being foul.

But hey, if the TTC insists on making us stew in dirt, grime, and bodily fluids, the very least they could do is cut some seating, so that those of us who prefer to stand aren't always in somebody's way. The only transit vehicle on which this is not a problem currently is the Flexity trams.

Last edited:
... the very least they could do is cut some seating, so that those of us who prefer to stand aren't always in somebody's way. The only transit vehicle on which this is not a problem currently is the Flexity trams.
The current trams? With the narrow walkways in spots, as soon as someone is standing in them, and someone else tries to walk through them, it's problematic. With a similar loading on a subway train it's much easier to move around.

Back