News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Finally saw it up close. Looks fine to me. Better than just tiles.

Hopefully the exterior station reno is done well.
They've cocked one thing up. There's no expansion planned of either the main stairwell or escalator from the Mezzanine up to the main entrance. I suppose a few might be coming out the new exit. But most will still come up the main stairs, that are overcrowded now whenever a train arrives, making it a challenge to get down the stairs.

And why the escalator is so narrow I don't know ...

And why spend millions on a new exit if you don't bother to make it an entrance with automatic ticket entrances.

Rolled through yesterday. I didn't realize at first, but the blue strip at the top of the platform walls is a bit iridescent - it has a bit of a sparkle to it. It's kind of fun.

The artwork makes me angry all over again every time I see it, though.

TTC is asking riders which options they would like to see to finish the project by Sept or leave it alone and have the work done by December as plan.

The 2 options for Sept completion is either 12 consecutive days or 6 consecutive weekends.

Based on TTC past track recorders, will they meet this deadline as plan or fall on its rear? If any of the options are chosen, will we see this happening around the system as standard practices??

http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Surveys/Pape_subway_station_construction.jsp

I've often wondered why they haven't done this. Closing the station -- either for 12 straight days or 6 weekends -- would get the bulk of the work done quickly. I'd take the 12 day option, and move the buses to Donlands for the two weeks. I won't put in my vote, though, as I don't regularly use the station.

I wonder if some other station works could move faster if TTC closed them after the PM peak as buses become more available for shuttle duties? Maybe between the AM and PM shoulder peaks too but that might hit more resistance from users and cost savings less substantial because of the need to run a higher frequency shuttle. I hope TTC get a positive response from this. I see a lot of moaning in the Star comments but at least they are stepping outside the comfort zone here.

I'd take the 12 day option, and move the buses to Donlands for the two weeks. I won't put in my vote, though, as I don't regularly use the station.
I use the station daily during peak hours during my commute and I'd rather the 12 day option as well. The station has been under construction for so long I'd vote for (almost) any option to get it completed quicker. However, I would expect that the closure would happen in the warmer months for those neighboring the station just so the walk to Donlands/Chester wouldn't be too inconvenient.

TTC is asking riders which options they would like to see to finish the project by Sept or leave it alone and have the work done by December as plan.

The 2 options for Sept completion is either 12 consecutive days or 6 consecutive weekends.

Based on TTC past track recorders, will they meet this deadline as plan or fall on its rear? If any of the options are chosen, will we see this happening around the system as standard practices??

http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Surveys/Pape_subway_station_construction.jsp

So 52% of respondents picked the 12 day closure

http://torontoist.com/2013/04/ttc-survey-says-close-pape-station-for-12-straight-days/

According to the latest numbers, 52.3% of the riders are willing to deal with a continuous 12 day shut down than the current time frame or 6 weekends. 33.2% want the weekends while 14.1% want the current schedule.

Regardless of the closure, construction will be still taking place until the end of the year.

The closure is mainly to deal with the stairs and the escalator.

TTC will be supplying a schedule for the closure in the coming few months.

According to the latest numbers, 52.3% of the riders are willing to deal with a continuous 12 day shut down than the current time frame or 6 weekends. 33.2% want the weekends while 14.1% want the current schedule.

Regardless of the closure, construction will be still taking place until the end of the year.

The closure is mainly to deal with the stairs and the escalator.

TTC will be supplying a schedule for the closure in the coming few months.

It's telling that TTC goes through the entire design and EA process and comes up with a plan that is opposed by 86% of the people.

It's even more telling when one confounds design and EA with public preferences on construction staging and scheduling.

AoD

Last edited:
May 4

Not sure if it was here or on another board where someone was claiming about the floors not been clean, they are. 1/4 of the westbound platform floor has been clean and some bad spots are now showing up. The back splash and part of the floor be side it has also been clean.

Only the new east entrance and elevator areas are hoarder off at this time. All the platform wall is in place except around the fire steams boxes.

The east entrance is still in the ground at the bottom at this time.

There is no reason that all the work plan for the stairs and escalators cannot be done in the 12 day closure this summer. By September, not much work to be done except for the east entrance as well the elevators and bus bay.
8718009940_e868f08e87_b.jpg

8716887493_4f7c683750_b.jpg

8716886193_55b82db5c8_b.jpg

8717998222_490f7f6368_b.jpg

8717999702_954af13e16_b.jpg

8716881785_e165418cb1_b.jpg

8716880359_d9fde443cc_b.jpg

Are those new tiles matte finish? That would be a bad decision if true. With large matte tiles they may as well have gone with drywall and paint.

Back