News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It doesn't seem like the city pays much attention to the area, so major issues like the Keele jog or the underpass on St. Clair between Keele and Old Weston Road aren't addressed when opportunities arise. The redevelopment of the Stock Yards into a suburban big-box zone also seems to lack decent planning with the stores turning their backs to the main streets. It hasn't become anything close to Liberty Village in spite it sharing a similar industrial pedigree. The underpass is too narrow and it's crumbling and ugly as any pedestrian or driver stuck in traffic can see. After the ROW construction, they implemented a system of turning the lights on only at night in the underpass, so on cloudy days it gets quite dark beneath the tracks for pedestrians at least. A friend was driving on St. Clair when a car in front of him broke down and he was stuck in the single lane for over an hour unable to move.

The issues are unfortunate exceptions to the success that the ROW project has otherwise been on St. Clair. It has made the street much more attractive and transit more reliable, with Gunn's Loop becoming an outstanding space with a much stronger sense of place than ever before. And the city to its credit did an Avenue study and passed recommendations for Avenue-style development west of Keele. So things are improving in the upper Junction, but the area has a long way to go to overcome the bad hand it was dealt at the end of the meatpacking era, when a historic industrial district was reduced to rubble and redeveloped as if it was a 905 suburb.

It doesn't seem like the city pays much attention to the area, so major issues like the Keele jog or the underpass on St. Clair between Keele and Old Weston Road aren't addressed when opportunities arise. The redevelopment of the Stock Yards into a suburban big-box zone also seems to lack decent planning with the stores turning their backs to the main streets. It hasn't become anything close to Liberty Village in spite it sharing a similar industrial pedigree.

Is this not a case in which the local councillor should have been involved as well as the Local BIA and community residents.

on the subway map thread someone posted the idea of eliminating half of the st clair stops throwing in TC cars and then turning it north at jane. is this a possibility in the future? i think the lrt cars are wider and st clair is tight as it is i dont know if the trains would fit. but is there a way to work around these hiccups.

on the subway map thread someone posted the idea of eliminating half of the st clair stops throwing in TC cars and then turning it north at jane. is this a possibility in the future? i think the lrt cars are wider and st clair is tight as it is i dont know if the trains would fit. but is there a way to work around these hiccups.

No, it isn't.

And as someone who lives on St. Clair, I'm quite happy with the number of stops that are there right now, thank-you-very-much.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TC LRT cars run on "standard gauge" track, a width between the tracks that is narrower than the idiosyncratic "TTC" gauge that the streetcars use. The TC cars can't run on our streetcar tracks -- they will be limited to the TC LRT lines.

The TC LRT cars run on "standard gauge" track, a width between the tracks that is narrower than the idiosyncratic "TTC" gauge that the streetcars use. The TC cars can't run on our streetcar tracks -- they will be limited to the TC LRT lines.

Not to mention the different in voltage, vertical curvature (up/down) allowance, horizontal (left/right turn) curvature allowance, and a handful of other things.

TTC can, and has, converted to/from standard gauge within a day per vehicle.

Deerrun, Vaughan and one of the stops between Oakwood and Dufferin need to be remove, otherwise, the stops are right.

TTC wanted to do this from day one, but got shot down by ward councilors.

Deerrun, Vaughan and one of the stops between Oakwood and Dufferin need to be remove, otherwise, the stops are right.

TTC wanted to do this from day one, but got shot down by ward councilors.

It boggles my mind why there are two stops literally 50m away from the subway station on either side.

It boggles my mind why there are two stops literally 50m away from the subway station on either side.

You think there shouldn't be a stop at Bathurst? (Which is 200m from the station, not 50m!)

You think there shouldn't be a stop at Bathurst? (Which is 200m from the station, not 50m!)

Is it 200m? you sure? the station is right under the Loblaws isnt it? Anyway no I don't think there should be a station even if it is 200m away...c'mon 200m is nothing man, especially since there's a stop at Vaughan Rd, and all the buses on Bathurst go into st. claire west station.. I'm also referring to the station after spadina Rd, right before entering the subway station from the east.

Is it 200m? you sure? the station is right under the Loblaws isnt it? Anyway no I don't think there should be a station even if it is 200m away...c'mon 200m is nothing man, especially since there's a stop at Vaughan Rd, and all the buses on Bathurst go into st. claire west station.. I'm also referring to the station after spadina Rd, right before entering the subway station from the east.

If Google Maps isn't lying to me, then yup, it's 200m. But actually, none of the buses on Bathurst go into St. Clair West station (except for random short-turns); they just go straight down Bathurst to Bloor -- which is why that stop is an essential transfer point between the Bathurst bus and the St. Clair car. It's the Vaughan stop that should go, if any.

I agree that the Tweedsmuir stop (on the east side of the station) is less essential, but still, it is surrounded by high-rise housing and does seem to get a decent amount of use, including a lot of seniors.

Uh no.

If Google Maps isn't lying to me, then yup, it's 200m. But actually, none of the buses on Bathurst go into St. Clair West station (except for random short-turns); they just go straight down Bathurst to Bloor -- which is why that stop is an essential transfer point between the Bathurst bus and the St. Clair car. It's the Vaughan stop that should go, if any.

I agree that the Tweedsmuir stop (on the east side of the station) is less essential, but still, it is surrounded by high-rise housing and does seem to get a decent amount of use, including a lot of seniors.

When I was living up there, I thought they should just keep the two stops that lie between Vaughan and Bathurst, and just name both Bathurst/Vaughan. (It's crazy because the eastbound Vaughan stop is practically across from the westbound Bathurst stop.)

Back