News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

... looks like province not involved here at all.

Provincial funds may not be involved, but legally the province is the entity putting forward the funding request and receiving funding, then passes it onto the Toronto who executes on behalf of the province.

Basically, the province needs to rubber-stamp it for the deal to go ahead. As a fun quirk, breach of contract is up to the province to fix; for example if Toronto say takes the money and does not buy streetcars with it the feds will ask the province to make it right. That's also the reason why municipalities in Canada generally are not allowed to take on debt for operations.

Good! These vehicles are desperately needed. I question if even the additional 60 LRVs will be enough to meet future demand.

Side note: It's absurd that the City has to beg other levels of government for the funding to support the delivery of basic services. This fiscal situation is quickly becoming untenable. This is no way to run a major metropolitan area.

Interesting. I thought it would have been the same. Where did you get that info from?
From this PDF at this link.

TTC Bus Routes Lane widths for curb lanes that are part of a TTC bus service route should be a minimum width of 3.3m. Queue jump lanes and bus stop lay-bys may have a width of 3.3m where possible and an absolute minimum width of 3.0m in retrofit scenarios. Planned bus routes that are confirmed to be operational in the near future should also be considered.

TTC Streetcar Routes
Lane widths for lanes used by TTC streetcars should be a minimum width of 3.1m. Wider lanes are required at locations with horizontal alignment curves. Lane widths should be determined using TTC streetcar vehicle envelopes.

Based on the above, streetcars can be used on narrower streets than buses. Such as extending the 505 DUNDAS streetcar east of Broadview Avenue along Dundas Street East and Carlaw Avenue to get to and from the planned GERRARD Station on the Ontario Line.

Good! These vehicles are desperately needed. I question if even the additional 60 LRVs will be enough to meet future demand.

Side note: It's absurd that the City has to beg other levels of government for the funding to support the delivery of basic services. This fiscal situation is quickly becoming untenable. This is no way to run a major metropolitan area.
Well, the City COULD just increase property taxes!

Dundas at Logan. I can see them keeping the left turn lanes on Dundas Street East after they install the streetcar tracks...
1620762553025.png

From link.

Why? Extending the 505 to the future Gerrard subway station at Carlaw would be logical.

We're that to take place, I would imagine it would be routed via Gerrard, not Dundas.

There is, and will be much more density on Gerrard; there are also existing tracks

Why? Extending the 505 to the future Gerrard subway station at Carlaw would be logical.
Yes but you know how long things take, and not just here. Expending energy on things that will not even be seriously looked at for a decade is a waste if time.

But - looks like province not involved here at all.
There was no indication that the province isn't involved in the streetcar funding with what was said at today's event.

And if you look at the invites for Thursday's 11 AM federal announcement for the streetcars, that includes the Thunder Bay MPs, including Mulroney and a Thunder Bay MPP (along with John Tory), it's pretty clear that Ontario will be providing funding as well.

@nfitz My bad: the tweet specifically stated that the city and the federal government were negotiating over the exact details, which is why I inferred that the province wasn't involved.

Did I misread last night's announcement or did they move the announcement from Thursday to Wednesday?

Either way, they are announcing it now. Here's the announcement - https://www.canada.ca/en/office-inf...ansit-and-protecting-jobs-in-thunder-bay.html

That's the full $360 million of partner funding. $180 million from the feds and province (with $208 million from the city).

The amount includes the expansion of Hillcrest.

Did I misread last night's announcement or did they move the announcement from Thursday to Wednesday?

Either way, they are announcing it now. Here's the announcement - https://www.canada.ca/en/office-inf...ansit-and-protecting-jobs-in-thunder-bay.html

That's the full $360 million of partner funding. $180 million from the feds and province (with $208 million from the city).

The amount includes the expansion of Hillcrest.

60 Streetcars is not bad. That will put the fleet at 264 if I am not mistaken so around 24 streetcars on each line. 22 if they want to bring back the 502.

I would have preferred another 204 but what can you do..

Back