News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wouldn't all the TTC advertising revenue COMBINED be dwarfed by a fraction-of-a-percent increase in the operating budget? Raise the budget by 1% and remove all advertisement, I say.

I always wondered why St. Andrew Station and St. Patrick Station existed. After all, Museum Station is named for the Royal Ontario Museum, Osgoode Station is named after Osgoode Hall, and Queens Park named for, what else, Queen's Park.
I know that St. Andrew and St. Patrick are churches near the stations, but how many actually make those churches their destinations? Why wasn't St. James Station named for King, or St. Michaels Station named for Queen?
The Art Gallery of Ontario and hospital row are near St. Patrick, and Roy Thompson Hall, Royal Alexandra Theatre, and Princess of Wales Theatre are near St. Andrew.
At least, they are better names than Dundas West, Lawrence West, St. Clair West, or Eglinton West. Those are also names I would consider for renaming.
However, not after corporations! If main streets are not available, neighourhoods or venues should be considered.

I think it's absolutely absurd to consider selling naming rights for pure advertising. If we're talking about naming something after an adjacent private sector landmark in exchange for money, I'm less firmly opposed. They should have tried to squeeze money out of the mall owner in exchange for naming Yorkdale station, for example. A name like "Dundas - Eaton Centre" wouldn't really bother me all that much, since it would probably help a lot of people with wayfinding. Same with "St. George - University of Toronto".

Heh heh. Only thing left would be to charge the province for Queen's Park.

W. K. Lis, those are the old names of the wards.

Peter was the only one Commissioner who wants this naming.

One other commissioner said do an update report with the eye to kill this dumb idea.

The rest wanted none of this idea.

Now, if you said TTC would raise $150-$200 million a year, then we should take a look.

I think selling naming rights to stations is a terrible idea, unless the names have something to do with locations near the stations, help passengers, or at least make sense to passengers. Unimaginative's idea of charging malls to add their names to local stations is one example where naming rights would work.

Maybe instead of giving away naming rights, perhaps the TTC could think about selling/renting space on its station signage and maps to local businesses, condo developments, shopping centres and other points of interest. Right now, neighbourhood maps at subway stations are rather useless, and only extremely important points of interest are indicated on TTC signage (and sometimes they are mentioned, but not by name... at Scarborough Centre station, Scarborough Town Centre is referred to as simply a "Shopping Centre"). How about getting Scarborough Town Centre to pay for "Scarborough Town Centre" to show up on station signage, or IKEA to pay for IKEA logos to show up on Leslie station signage?

Fortunately, even if the TTC does start selling naming rights to stations, Toronto won't have the worst subway station names in the world. Apparently the communism-themed names of Pyongyang metro station have nothing to do with geography.

pyongyang-map.gif

Fortunately, even if the TTC does start selling naming rights to stations, Toronto won't have the worst subway station names in the world. Apparently the communism-themed names of Pyongyang metro station have nothing to do with geography.

I've got one for you in that line of thought.

Lionel-Groulx.

No! Really?

I'm well aware of that. Though it is a minor street, named for a revisionist, racist, facist "historian", and having the subway stop right there is quite convenient, non?

The only benefit if any I could see is that the stations would likely be in better shape, as really why would sponsors pay millions for a space and then be known for having a shitty looking station?

^ According to that logic, there is nothing in the world that shouldn't be branded.

that is why I think that we are better off just cleaning the stations properly through new janitors.

The TTC has handed control of their station platform design to rich, rogue benefactors, so it isn't much of a stretch for them to sell naming rights to corporations.

Back