News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

S

spmarshall

I was joking with a few people that the TTC/ATU would pull a "TTC employees are superheroes" megacampaign after that janitor found the missing child at Wilson Station and had police notified - you know, full bus/subway wraps with the employee's face and a cape.

Of course, this rightfully looks good on the TTC - though this is employees properly doing their job under the Transit Watch/Safety Partner program. This is why I like her quote in the article: "I'm just a regular person just working. I just happened to crack the case". This is an example of how those programs work properly, when you have good, competent employees.

Now the ATU is going to exploit it - not long after we almost had a strike.

Now I'm relatively pro-union, but I never liked the TTC unions for their strike-happy mentality.

Union seizes on boy's abduction

Uses TTC hero to fight job changes
Janitor saved tot on day shift, it says
Apr. 26, 2006. 01:00 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

TTC union officials are using a subway janitor's rescue of an abducted boy to raise awareness about planned cuts to day jobs and their workers' possible response to the move — an illegal strike as early as May 8.

A wildcat strike would grind the TTC to a halt, and force the 700,000 people who rely on the city's buses, streetcars and subways every work day to find alternate transportation.

"The underlying tone from our membership is that they are extremely frustrated," said Bob Kinnear, president of Local 113 of the Amalgamated Transit Union. "I'm not sure how much longer we can maintain the level of service we are currently delivering."

If the TTC has its way, 53 of its 87 janitors and 53 of 91 subway track workers will be moved permanently to the night shift in May in what the TTC calls a cost-savings move.

While the numbers of affected workers seem small, Kinnear said he won't be able to control the unrest he figures would boil over to bus, streetcar and subway operators. "We are one union. I would make the assumption if there was a walk-off by a large group of our employees, our entire membership would follow."

TTC chairman Howard Moscoe said the transit authority was going ahead with the conversion to the night shift, but said he doubted workers would strike illegally since commissioners struck a deal with the union last month that nobody would lose their jobs, and that some would remain on days.

"We can have improved cleaning at night, and have additional cleaning in the day," said Moscoe. "We did what the union asked in terms of saving jobs.

"It's more hot air than it is a wildcat strike. But if Bob Kinnear wants to deliver a wildcat strike, I would be very surprised if anything like that happened."

Kinnear said a strike could be triggered May 8, the day the TTC is due to post a signup sheet seeking workers' preferences for new duties and night shift schedules.

To bolster its cause, the union is pointing to Karen Bass, a subway janitor who spotted — on her day shift — something strange between a woman and boy in a Wilson station washroom. Bass, a 39-year-old mother of a 23-month-old boy, remembered the description from Saturday's Amber Alert when a woman abducted Dejon Madurie from the Albion Mall.

`I'm just a regular person just working. I just happened to crack the case'

Karen Bass, subway janitor

The boy was refusing to take a pinkish substance that might have been medicine. But there was something else, Bass said. "He looked up at me and didn't say anything, but his eyes said something, like `Rescue me.'"

She called her supervisor, who called police. Bass pretended to work in the washroom to stay close to the woman. She followed them to a coffee shop. Police arrived within five minutes.

The matter ended peacefully. The boy returned to his mother. Joanne Merlene Jones was in custody. And Bass is now hailed a hero.

"I think people will call me that, but I don't feel it. I'm just a regular person just working," said Bass. "I just happened to crack the case. That's all it is."

But the union notes Bass was working the day shift when she spotted the boy.

"If this incident had occurred six weeks from now under the TTC's proposal, Karen wouldn't even have been there on day shift," said Kinnear.

"We believe there should be visibility in the subway so people can identify with a TTC employee if they have any concerns about their safety and security."

Meanwhile, the 34-year-old woman accused of kidnapping the 4-year-old from the busy north Etobicoke mall made a second appearance at College Park court yesterday.

Jones, who police confirmed is the mother of a young child in the care of children's aid in British Columbia, spoke with her newly retained lawyer, Mary Murphy, from the prisoner's box. The unemployed Rexdale woman was remanded in custody until Friday.

Outside court, Murphy said she knew little about her new client who police said has mental issues. She plans to meet with Jones today.

With files by Leslie Ferenc

Now, if there is proof that all the TTC employees are like the janitor in question, sure, I am all for their case.

Perhaps this should be a call for a system of meritocracy instead - I would love to see this janitors' pay rise a bit to reflect her efforts.

AoD

An oxymoron if there ever was one:

Union Meritocracy.

So to summarize the union is:

a) going in strike again despite just going on strike last year, the result of which was 20M in increased costs for the TTC-roughly half of the shortfall that led to this year's fair increase (the other 27 M being for rising fuel costs)

b) going on strike to fight the crazy notion that janatorial work might more efficently be completed after-hours when the stations are less used (similar to every other office building, gov't institution or organazation you can probably think of); and

c) willing to use the kidnapping of a child to further thier cause.

Nice. Re-affirms my faith that the union movement is always fighting for what is right and just in society and not for immediate gains for their narrow consituency.

I dislike unions.

But, working night shifts are pretty crappy.

Some of transit riders that I have spoken to blame the unions for the fare hikes and poor transit service, perhaps rightfully so, and things like will only make them look worse.

i'm a union man, and probably the most pro-union member on the board, but even i dont think the ATU has a leg to stand on. the TTC has every right to manage it's workforce, including the right to change people's shifts. if the ATU wants to change the TTC's right to do that then the time to negotiate it is after the current collective agreement expires

the best the ATU could do is file an estoppel grievance against the TTC and hope that the arbitrator sides with them (which i highly doubt they would). the best outcome for the ATU would be the imposition of a wage differential to entice people to voluntarily switch shifts, but i doubt they'd even get that

Courtesy: Toronto Sun
By ZEN RURYK, CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Rethink strike, Moscoe urges

TTC chairman Howard Moscoe says he hopes talk of a wildcat strike by transit workers evaporates when they understand the efforts taken to save 21 janitorial jobs.

But Bob Kinnear, president of Local 113 of the Amalgamated Transit Union, said a TTC plan to move janitorial and track workers to the night shift is just one issue frustrating transit employees.

He warned they could go on an illegal strike -- bringing the Red Rocket to a screeching halt -- as early as May 8.

Kinnear said that if TTC janitor Karen Bass had been on the night shift, she would not have been around to alert police about an abducted 4-year-old boy she spotted at Wilson station.

PERMANENT NIGHTS

The TTC plans to move 53 of 87 janitors and 53 of 91 track workers to permanent night shifts.

During budget deliberations, TTC bureaucrats recommended slashing 29 janitorial positions when moving the workers to the night shift.

In addition to saving money, TTC managers figured they'd need fewer workers at night because heavy cleaning could be done more efficiently without passengers hovering about.

Moscoe said commissioners agreed to reduce eight of those 29 positions through attrition, but determined they would save the other 21 jobs.

"I think once the members begin to understand that by moving to the night shift we saved a lot of their jobs, they might want to rethink this (strike)," said Moscoe.

I think they should rethink the strike, considering that when I got into the subway station today, the ticket guy sitting at the gate during rush hour was eating an apple, sitting there, and not really checking that hard if people where paying or showing their pass.
I am sorry, but it is not professional at all to walk into the gate, and be face to face with a guy biting an apple like no one is there.

Back