9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think we could get more value out of TTC token collectors!

It seems to me subway delays due to passenger assistance are too frequent and long during rush hour!

If a combined emergency medical responder/transit cop was at each station we could deal with 90% of delays within minutes. Why don't we fire the overpaid zombies and replace them with higher paid, but more suitable 'responders'. They could still count tokens, but abandon their post as required to address non-mechanical delays.

IMO these delays are the greatest problem in the TTC, as imbeciles hit the alarm button at the slighest provocation.

I thought you're referring to the zombie riders on the TTC instead - with their penchant to a) occupy and do inane things (like digging through the recycling bins right beside the freaking escalators at Yonge/Bloor) that utter disrupts pedestrian flow at bottlenecks, b) occupy the maximum amount of space via backpacks at the doorway at rush hour or c) insist upon rushing the train when they have 100x the momentum (mainly attributable to mass alone) of the heaviest bowling ball on a roll.

AoD

Maybe we should just get rid of the 50's era tokens and move to tickets/electronic like the rest of the developed world.

Maybe we should just get rid of the 50's era tokens and move to tickets/electronic like the rest of the developed world.

And where will you find the money to pull off such a scale of a conversion requiring all buses, streetcars, and subways stations to get such? Maybe you can share the money with the TTC since you got an oil well in your back yard

Have you seen the long lines trying to get to a kiosk at any transit systems in the world, let alone the collector and information office?

I have visited 13 systems so far and have yet to see no line up for kiosk where people are buying their tickets or pass. In most cases, you need a card to use those kiosk and if you don't, you get in line for a collector or customer service to get one.

If people think backpacks are a problem, you have seen nothing compare what goes on in Europe with them. Then, they are out number by the luggage people not with one case, but 2 or more.

I agree with the electronic cards, as they flow the people through the stiles fast as long as the stiles work. There is someone on duty to deal with the card issue in most cases, but have run into station were no one is on duty.

Even getting train tickets you can find long line ups along with a dozen or so kiosk in service.

You will find machines on buses and trams where you insert your card or touch it to validate your card. Downside to this, very few riders do this, as some of those machines will eat your card and I have come close 3 times so far having this happen to me a few times so far to the point I almost lost the card on the first day of a 3-5 day pass, let alone the other days.

As for pedestrian flow, not on the scale you find in Europe where people push you aside to get where they want to go in the first place.

And where will you find the money to pull off such a scale of a conversion requiring all buses, streetcars, and subways stations to get such? Maybe you can share the money with the TTC since you got an oil well in your back yard

There are many systems where the driver collects money and gives out money for fares on buses and are behind protect barrier. These buses have only one or 2 doors where riders enter and leave by the front door. Very rare to see a backup of riders paying their fare and slow the bus down like they do at home when looking for their transfer or pass.

Again, the cost to convert to a Europe system is cheaper than the Presto thing.

Back