39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I noticed that there's no thread for the Max Gluskin House that is being built for the Dept. of Economics at 190 St. George.

Info on the building can be found here: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~keynes/dept/buildingmap/

2864117994_77d2c96ec9.jpg

This is the progress of the building as of yesterday...

It's like a miniature Royal Conservatory of Music.

Thanks for the photos. Also, I'm pretty sure a thread already exists for this project.

**Edit: My bad, I thought there was a thread on this**

This building is pretty much done on the outside.

Looking west on St. George
3230153731_cb0afc9494_o.jpg

Looking into the courtyard from the south-east
3231002724_2ed42d561b_o.jpg

...and south-west
3231003252_c164bae226_o.jpg

From the laneway behind the building
3230155291_3021c89db2_o.jpg

It's a beautiful colour (and it looks to me the way that the cones outside of the ACC and the arch at the Queensway Cineplex should look), but is Corten steel usually installed above windows? Won't rust stains on the first floor windows be a problem if that's Corten?

BTW, it would seem that the building is pretty much done. It was occupied in time for the new school year, and was officially opened in October, so unless anyone knows any better, this thread will soon be moved to Buildings, Architecture & Urban Design.

It really is a beautiful colour and a beautiful material, whatever it is.

Corten is what the Alsop building at Filmport is to be clad in, assuming it ever gets built. 8 stories of this with amoeba swiss cheese holes in it should be a remarkable sight

I doubt it would be wood, although it really really looks like it. Wood isn't very durable as an outdoor cladding material.

It's definitely not wood...it's some sort of metal. The overall design is OK, but the part of the old house that they chopped in half doesn't look pleasing anymore. It just looks square and stumpy with a skinny connector to the other part of the house.

Back