In a report to the University of Toronto's Executive Ctte, we learn that the U of T is in the process of negotiating a significant off-campus lease in order to 'decant' the west wing of the Faculty of Medicine, as part of this project.

From said report:

1616696062396.png

1616696106955.png

It would, therefore, appear that demolition/construction for this project is now set to begin sometime in 2023

Hmmm... Interesting news... I have been hearing contradictory things about this.
They've been wanting to redevelop this section for quite some time now. However, in recent years, there have been some renovations in this part of the building, despite the pipe dreams of redevelopment.
Going back to the news release in April where the Temerty family made a much smaller donation:
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-an...foundation-support-urgent-covid-19-priorities

Of note, this donation was to allow for " Immediate expansion of U of T’s Containment Level 3 (CL3) facility and creation of a COVID-19 Biobank to house virus samples – a national priority. "
I don't know if that "immediate expansion" has already begun, but this would be within that west wing. Are they going to do this expansion, then tear it down only a few years later for a whole new building?
Or build a new building while keeping this facility intact somehow?

Maybe not so immediate, but moving forward.......... Yes, I have 'news'.

From the agenda for the February 28th meeting of the University of Toronto's Planning and Budget Ctte.

While the Labs themselves are not part of and do not affect future development here, they are noteworthy enough to merit attention; there is also some incidental info on MSB here worth a look.

* Mods can evaluate whether this merits a separate thread or can be logically bundled here *

1645590042727.png

1645590216585.png

1645590068047.png

Report here:

^ Interesting. Yes there seems to be some interior demolition already going on, I think in preparation to move the CL3 facility out of the west wing.

Recently came across this article, where the dean was envisioning a 9 storey building on the site of the west wing: https://temertymedicine.utoronto.ca/news/building-our-future

The message above is dated Dec/20, so we can assume some things will have changed, but I will lift the interesting bits just the same! Thanks to @Student99 for that contribution.

1646511300049.png

So, if the targets above were to hold, we'd be just shy of 2 years out from ground-breaking. That would require the application into the City by later this year. Which means it will work its way through U of T's Committee structure before that.

Aha! More info, since @Student99 put me onto a place to look, we have an update from the Dean from February '22!

First up, the labs:

1646511575192.png

Second, the new building:

1646511609796.png

That means it will pass through the committee structure within the next 2 cycles.

^ oh thanks! I went hunting for that article after you mentioned it here. I also found this part interesting, revealing where facilities will move to in short term:

"We will need to relocate existing offices, labs, and teaching facilities in the MSB's west wing to make that construction possible. Temerty Medicine will temporarily lease two floors at 777 Bay Street to house offices and labs. We are working closely on the design of this space with those impacted. We anticipate construction of this leased space will begin in late summer 2022, and occupancy will begin in late spring 2023. The Division of Teaching Laboratories will also relocate to the Ramsay Wright Building. This move has already been approved, and designs are being finalized. We anticipate renovations will begin in 2023, and the space will be ready for classes in fall 2024."

Reading the latest from the Dean of Medicine, I have a couple of notes to share..........

One is some new tech being brought in..........

1649862848848.png

The other.......the massing envelope of the new building:

1649862898877.png

and

1649862929974.png

Along with:

1649862986344.png

All of the above from: https://temertymedicine.utoronto.ca/2021-deans-report

News, U of T has begun to solicit interest in the development community for this project, and appear to be going for the same process as the Gateway project at Bloor/Spadina.

From Merx:

1681403138464.png

Of note in the description below is that we have a budget range........she ain't cheap!

Upwards of 625M!

1681403196991.png

MVRDV exciting! When do we get to see the design?

Lets work backwards....

From @AlexBozikovic 's link....:

1687381898338.png

Ground breaking in fall '25 requires a submission to the City at the very latest in Q3 '24; but that would be cutting it very fine.

I would imagine Q4 this year/ Q1 next year they should have a refined concept ready. Whether it will be public right away, TBD.

The new building will replace a building that results in a boring dead zone at a vibrant gateway to the campus. It would be amazing if it met the walkway at King's College Circle with a coffee shop, restaurant, library, study spaces, and/or an academic services office. Who could I contact at U of T to express these comments?

Back