News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I thought it looked way better with its stone dirty. I don't like that type of grey-coloured stone... very dull and depressing I find. I prefer a taupe/brown tone in stone.

munko17.jpg

I thought it looked way better with its stone dirty. I don't like that type of grey-coloured stone... very dull and depressing I find. I prefer a taupe/brown tone in stone.

I think that characteristic was originally taken into account and addressed with the warmer coloured stone framing the windows and the grand entrance as well as the southern-style roof tiles. I must say that it's amazing how "new" these stone buildings look when the facades are restored. It makes them seem less historically distant than when they're all grey with faded accents. The nuances of the architecture stand out more.

I kind of like the cleaned up brick, although the building doesn't look as historical now... I wonder if they would ever consider cleaning the brick of University College

I kind of like the cleaned up brick, although the building doesn't look as historical now... I wonder if they would ever consider cleaning the brick of University College

Noooooo! Heresey! I can't imagine them defacing UC in such a way! UC is beautiful as is!

I am all for cleaning up old buildings. Remember what the Royal Conservatory and Victoria College looked like before they were restored? Do we want to go back to that?

This may be the most awkward looking contemporary addition to a building in the past decade. A building on that empty lot next to it will at least ensure that no one sees the attractive backside of the heritage building half obscured by the mismatched addition.

This is a very ugly addition. Maybe when the new athletic research facility is built, it will hug this addition and all that will be visible is the glass.

Yeah, KPMB dropped the ball on this addition. If you can't clad it in matching stone, then brick, glass or copper siding would have all looked superior to the precast we ended up getting.

Are they also renovating that charming little building, located just to the west, that's set off at a jaunty angle? I passed by in the rain this afternoon and thought that the renovations have gone very well - the architectural details, especially around the windows, are more apparent than before and the stonework glows delightfully; KPMB's precast is a decent match, and they've located those pipes or whatever they are on the roof strategically hidden ( mostly ) from view.

I like the new, deeper, window that's been added to the tower - as an intervention, it's tucked away from the Bloor Street and mediates between the restored heritage building and the addition. It rather reminds me of the slitted windows - also of differing depths - on Langley and Burke's St. Luke's United Church at Sherbourne and Carlton.

Back