News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

was kinda hoping they remove or re-do the brown brick wall on bloor street cuz it's still there ugh.. otherwise i think this turned out great.

You might be right, and it could have had potential, but they would have had to have built some kind of brick facade or something, rather than the visible underside of concrete steps.

I'm sure they built it facing that way for a reason... like to avoid getting the sun in the eyes of game attendees during late afternoon.

Other than the cheap looking stands, I like this project very much now that the inflateable winter balloon is gone.

Taken about 4 weeks ago:

812536464_7c5b940ccc_b.jpg

812536530_d2953b80ae_b.jpg

I had great doubts about this project right from the start. First, the idea of getting rid of a stadium on Bloor was appealing; and second, there was something annoying about the Varsity track being up next to the expanding Conservatory building.

However, it has actually turned out to be a fairly well done project - and with the skyline behind, it now looks integrated into the fabric of the city.

Yes, though it would be even better integrated if they'd slap something on the back of the scoreboard to face Bloor. I'm surprised they haven't already. Didn't there used to be an infosign re: the old Varsity in about that location, back in the day?

I approve of the project. I especially love the blue colour of the track. Its not the traditional red.

Not to mention I spotted no dead trees along the Bloor Street front. A+ to the University!

Thankfully the National Soccer Stadium didn't end being built here. It would have overwhelmed the site and Bloor Street.

Louroz

I can't help but think that the rebuilding of the stadium here and the announcement of a new training facility are a huge planning blunder. I was in Berlin this weekend and was able to see the benefits of placing a large number of cultural intsititutions together i.e. Museum Island. Toronto has a rare opportunity in having so much available land adjacent to three of the city's cultural institutions.

For me, a more suitable scenario would see Varsity Stadium, Varsity Arena and the Law School all make way for expansion of the ROM and the Conservatory's activities as well as new complementary uses. For example, the ICC could be seen as the nucleus of something larger.

Honestly, is the current direction the best we can come up with?

Your talk of Museum Island instantly makes me think of Jane Jacobs' opposition to such single use planning. Though that's not to say an idea like that could never work.

It's been a stadium for over a century. All of these cultural institutions (of which Varsity is one) had the ability - but not the desire - to build second or new buildings elsewhere, such as in a new cultural ghetto somewhere on the waterfront or the portlands.

Back