News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Eh? I like that building. Its angles intrigue me.

Yes, it's an engaging building with its angular form and combination of stone, brick, and glass cladding. It always struck me as trying hard to be unique and iconic yet not quite attaining that look. Still, it's a great building.

28 April 2012: A failure from this angle imo. Really ruins the Massey College view.

116ma.jpg

Yikes, yeah, I haven't seen that yet. That's...a bad clash. I had no idea the back was so bulky.

^The very best in Italian fascist architecture. Except the pink staircase. That's Italian fashionist.

800px-Roma_Palazzo_della_Civilt%C3%A0_Italiana_BW.jpg

The materials, the glass specifically, are very well executed. Sadly it's a bit of a clunker from a massing perspective, but a testament to the fact that glass done right can go a long way.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the massing of KPMB's two glass boxes. You can't blame them for Zeidler's dog's breakfast next door. The best thing to do is ignore it - like KPMB did!

I'm not blaming Zeidler's building, nor was I even implying it in anything. I was referring strictly to KPMB's design. The boxes are bulky and don't address the site very well, in my opinion. However, I find that the glass was well executed and lightens the overbearing effect of the structure itself somewhat.

Hmmm, I respectfully disagree with overbearing. If you actually go and stand on St. George in front of this building I doubt that will be your reaction (at least it wasn't mine). Really you only see the lower of the two boxes as the other one is set back far enough to be mostly obstructed from view. Really you only see if if you're standing in front of the house, but they you're on an open mini-square surrounded by trees and pleasant landscaping (still a work in progress).

Ok sure, you could try to argue it looks overbearing from across the street - which is the angle of the above photograph - but then I'd point out to you that your back is to Robarts Library and you might see things in that context a bit differently.

I don't find it overbearing, either. I think the two-toned glass is so tasteful that it draws you in and invites you, instead of glooming over you in monochromatic, gargantuan kind of way. Viewing it from the east, however, is another story.

28 April 2012: A failure from this angle imo. Really ruins the Massey College view.

116ma.jpg

Well, it certainly doesn't ruin the view from within Massey College. I was there for lunch today and, afterwards, strolled through the leafy quadrangle. The striking mass of the college's orange brick, enclosing the courtyard about me, and the mature trees, and the foreshortening effect when glancing up at Rotman's neutral grey buildings, all contributed to a delightful, harmonious experience.

Back