News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The former Uniroyal Goodrich/Dominion Rubber plant on Strange Street is an absolute architectural marvel. I daresay it's close to the most significant bit of industrial architecture in the city. It's designed by Albert Kahn, famed as Henry Ford's architect and the creator of the River Rouge plant.

So was Kaufman, right?

As pure industrial architecture, Uniroyal might be more "significant"; but as an urban construction, it's Kaufman that excels. Still, I'd recommend against sacrificing either of the two...

Any cannabis plants on those leafy window outlines?

Y'know, for medicinal purposes?

I believe Kahn also did the original bits of the Kaufman building, as well as the Goodrich. I had a friend who worked briefly for the rubber company that is in the Goodrich site and apparently the inside is very run down, which I guess is to be expected, but I hope that doesn't translate into structural troubles that may preclude a rehabilitation.

Another great building to convert should it cease operations would be the Krug building across from the station. The frontage on Breithaupt is a great example fo early industrial architecture. As well, there are a few good Deilcraft buidlings tucked in and around that are worth preserving. The small one over on Duke and Shanly, in particular, is a favourite of mine. Nevermind the Lang Tanning building, or the Huck Glove building, or Ontario Chair buiding. I was pleased to see the Bauer building is being saved, when I was last there.

I think one of my highlights from the few years I lived in Kitchener was discovering these buidlings as I walked around.

Frankly, how many of them are *not* worth preserving? At this point, it would seem a little peevishly "expedient" to rule reuse out of the equation for almost any of these...

Kahn did supposedly have a hand in the Kaufmann building, but I think it was a more minor work than the Dominion Rubber plant.

I'm fiercely (i.e. chain myself to wall) supportive of preserving both buildings. Fortunately, Kaufman is preserved permanently thanks to its stunningly successful (all sold out!) condo conversion. It's fortunate that it's a pretty universally attractive building, and it's got a fabulous prominent location.

Dominion Rubber is obviously not in quite such a good place, but it's at least it's occupied. It's obviously not going to look like it's in the best shape, but I guarantee it's rock solid. The Uniroyal plant in Detroit, almost exactly identical to the Kitchener plant and also designed by Kahn, was demolished a few years ago after a long abandonment. It was built so solidly that it took almost a year and bankrupted the demolition company.

My father was (briefly) the last occupant of the Forsyth building when I was quite young. I ran around that place, and it was a world of adventure for a kid. There was a pretty impressive office area, wood paneling and all. I was terribly sad to see it go.

Another childhood architectural adventure was the Kaufman's Zeidler-designed house. They were almost never home, so kids would often play in the backyard and explore all around the place. It's a bit of a strange house. Not really Zeidler's best work, but certainly interesting. It was in some danger a few years ago, but that's a long story.

Krug Furniture is still doing remarkably well. In fact, so well that I could see them potentially moving to a more modern, presumably suburban location. In that case their building would also be prime for a conversion. If VIA's service didn't suck so severely, it would be great for commuters.

The restoration of the Bauer building in Waterloo has been taking absolutely forever. Vincenzo's, an extremely successful Italian food store, will be the anchor tenant. I think they were supposed to have moved in by now. The problems are with contamination.

From what I've heard, the Lang Tannery (once the largest in the Empire!) is 100% leased. There was a story on its remarkable resurgence in the Record a few years ago. I think a paintball arena might be in there, among other things. Artists' studios, weird businesses, etc.

The factory at Duke and Shanly (Electrohome) is a neat one because it's so tucked away in a residential neighbourhood. There are a bunch of those scattered around Kitchener. There's one on Mansion in the East Ward.

I think that the Electrohome plant off of Duke really did appeal to me as it was tucked in amongst houses, although being near the rail line to Waterloo must explain it's location. I've always crossed Electrohome and Deilcraft, partly becuse they were the same company, Dominion Electrohome Industries Ltd.-craft, just different divisions.

I'd join you in chaining myself to the Goodrich building. I think it's location is not so bad as it would seem, as it's maybe a 10 minute walk from Strange to the station, and a similar distance to the park and downtown. I think what will be the real troble there is the size. Converting what must be at least750,000 square feet would create a glut on the market, or is housing demand strong enough in KW? I've also heard a company from Toronto bought the Lang building with a view to rehabilitating it, which further add to the competition.

Frankly, how many of them are *not* worth preserving? At this point, it would seem a little peevishly "expedient" to rule reuse out of the equation for almost any of these...

The plastics building on King by the railway line, is one isn't really worth saving. Also, the mustard yellow Deilcraft building by the railway. It might have been worth saving at one point, but I recall it looked run down, and wasn't a shining example of industrial architecture to begin with.

From WaterlooInvestor:

UWHealthSciencesCampus-March102008-.jpg

It's so chaotic and messy looking. Construction could be a contributing factor to that, so I'll wait to judge it until later.

Has the Medical building reached ground level yet? I haven't gone the chance to walk around the area during the last few months.

Looks like someone threw up on the buidling ... in a creative fashion of course.

Have a look at the one of the smaller pics ... there's no construction left in them and at least to me it looks like crap.

And of all things why flowers? I guess you could make the argument they have sort of relation to pharmacy.

The concept behind this strange decorative flourish remains as hidden to me as it is, apparently, to everyone else.

Unlike other buildings with logical decorative elements such as OCAD ( a pixillated canvas ), the Ballet School ( movement notations etched in glass ) and CCBR ( genetic thingys ) there's no obvious symbolism at work here. The idea that plants can be used in drugs seems a bit of a stretch. It looks gratuitous, as if someone decided to tart up a perfectly fine building on a whim because they could.

Aren't all pharmaceuticals ultimately derived from plants? I believe (I guess) that is the connection.

Maybe it's a sly counter-intuitive reference to naturopathic medicines?

Aside from any of that, the building looks reasonably good to me. It will be a good addition to the city skyline.

Back