Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
But you notice I'm focussing away from Bush and more t/w Rush, as the kind of assassination target that *could* spark riots among the "U! S! A!" and "Barack Hussein Obama" crowd. When all is said and done, Bush is probably surprisingly benign--what he triggered may be another matter altogether...

But you notice I'm focussing away from Bush and more t/w Rush, as the kind of assassination target that *could* spark riots among the "U! S! A!" and "Barack Hussein Obama" crowd. When all is said and done, Bush is probably surprisingly benign--what he triggered may be another matter altogether...

'Benign' is not a word I would ever use to describe Bush Jr.

'Neo-conservative evangelical demagogue, military-industrial complex enabler and global market crasher', however, I would use.

Clearly there will be threats on Bush Jr.'s life for the rest of it as well. But he'll be ensconced at whatever his ranch is called in Texas until he drops dead anyway. Somehow I don't think there would be as much outrage if something were to happen to him, all it would take would be one hunting trip with Cheney anyway!

Bush bought the ranch before starting his run for the presidency. He'll be back in Dallas soon enough as he won't need it for optics sake.

'Benign' is not a word I would ever use to describe Bush Jr.

'Neo-conservative evangelical demagogue, military-industrial complex enabler and global market crasher', however, I would use.

And even that's "benign", compared to what the hardcore Palinistas signify, i.e. if you think *he's* frightening...

As a Brit-Canuck myself, I think it's great that the son of a then British subject is going to be the President of the USA. I don't think that's happened since the mid-1800s when the last of the revolution-era colonists stopped having kids.

Even more interesting to me is that when Barack Obama Jr. was born in 1961 his father was still a citizen of the British Empire, since Kenya wasn't granted independence until 1963.

I wonder if Obama will make note of this connection to Britain in his travels there as President.

Last edited:
I hope Obama takes a grand tour of Canada.

f-ng-cp-2944995.jpg

Barack Obama's half-sister, Maya Soetoro is married to Konrad Ng of Burlington, Ontario, but living currently in Hawaii. So there could be a little Canadian influence.

Though if Burlington worked in an American way, it'd be like those commuterburban one-time Republican strongholds that've gone firmly Democratic over the past generation...

actually Burlington and Oakville has now become Conservative territory, federally.

just in time for sunday morning:

SC priest: No communion for Obama supporters

By MEG KINNARD – 2 days ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina Roman Catholic priest has told his parishioners that they should refrain from receiving Holy Communion if they voted for Barack Obama because the Democratic president-elect supports abortion, and supporting him "constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil."

The Rev. Jay Scott Newman said in a letter distributed Sunday to parishioners at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Greenville that they are putting their souls at risk if they take Holy Communion before doing penance for their vote.

"Our nation has chosen for its chief executive the most radical pro-abortion politician ever to serve in the United States Senate or to run for president," Newman wrote, referring to Obama by his full name, including his middle name of Hussein.

"Voting for a pro-abortion politician when a plausible pro-life alternative exits constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil, and those Catholics who do so place themselves outside of the full communion of Christ's Church and under the judgment of divine law. Persons in this condition should not receive Holy Communion until and unless they are reconciled to God in the Sacrament of Penance, lest they eat and drink their own condemnation."

During the 2008 presidential campaign, many bishops spoke out on abortion more boldly than four years earlier, telling Catholic politicians and voters that the issue should be the most important consideration in setting policy and deciding which candidate to back. A few church leaders said parishioners risked their immortal soul by voting for candidates who support abortion rights.

But bishops differ on whether Catholic lawmakers — and voters — should refrain from receiving Communion if they diverge from church teaching on abortion. Each bishop sets policy in his own diocese. In their annual fall meeting, the nation's Catholic bishops vowed Tuesday to forcefully confront the Obama administration over its support for abortion rights.

According to national exit polls, 54 percent of Catholics chose Obama, who is Protestant. In South Carolina, which McCain carried, voters in Greenville County — traditionally seen as among the state's most conservative areas — went 61 percent for the Republican, and 37 percent for Obama.

"It was not an attempt to make a partisan point," Newman said in a telephone interview Thursday. "In fact, in this election, for the sake of argument, if the Republican candidate had been pro-abortion, and the Democratic candidate had been pro-life, everything that I wrote would have been exactly the same."

Conservative Catholics criticized Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry in 2004 for supporting abortion rights, with a few Catholic bishops saying Kerry should refrain from receiving Holy Communion because his views were contrary to church teachings.

Sister Mary Ann Walsh, spokeswoman for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, said she had not heard of other churches taking this position in reaction to Obama's win. A Boston-based group that supports Catholic Democrats questioned the move, saying it was too extreme.

"Father Newman is off-base," said Steve Krueger, national director of Catholic Democrats. "He is acting beyond the authority of a parish priest to say what he did. ... Unfortunately, he is doing so in a manner that will be of great cost to those parishioners who did vote for Sens. Obama and Biden. There will be a spiritual cost to them for his words."

A man who has attended St. Mary's for 18 years said he welcomed Newman's message and anticipated it would inspire further discussion at the church.

"I don't understand anyone who would call themselves a Christian, let alone a Catholic, and could vote for someone who's a pro-abortion candidate," said Ted Kelly, 64, who volunteers his time as lector for the church. "You're talking about the murder of innocent beings."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j-epjBHqtK6FvYWhAwBzReQHZytAD94EBDS00

It should be remembered that the Papal States were among the last states in Europe to outlaw slavery. Took the establishment of Italy as a country to do it.

In 1866, the Holy Office of the Vatican issued a statement in support of slavery. The document stated that

"Slavery itself...is not at all contrary to the natural and divine law...The purchaser [of the slave] should carefully examine whether the slave who is put up for sale has been justly or unjustly deprived of his liberty, and that the vendor should do nothing which might endanger the life, virtue, or Catholic faith of the slave."

Click on this link for an article on The final abolition of human slavery in Christian countries. (Missing in the article is the The Slavery Act of 1793 which was a compromise that ended slavery gradually in Upper Canada, since the article only starts in 1800.)

Its pretty amazing how far majority Christian states have come in advancing civil rights in the past 200 years of humanity. Hopefully we can evolve defining societies by their religion, but my hope is that the Islamic world can at least get to some level of legal sanity. It pains to see people's hands get chopped off or people get beheaded in 'friendly' states like Saudi Arabia.

Back