News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Fluorescent bulbs, just like incandescent bulbs, are considered hazardous waste and shouldn't be thrown in the garbage. But most people throw both out, so with the switch to fluorescent we'll have to settle for the smaller reduction in mercury pollution that results from lower coal power demand.

I wish i knew where to get those yellowish tint cfls. I have a drawer full of them after trying all different types and colour temperatures, they all look the same dull white. Can anyone suggest a brand which has the same glow as the old Incandescent?
Try the warm white GE bulbs. Look for a temperature rating of 2700K.

The only thing I don't like about fluorescent bulbs is they take a minute or so to get to their full brightness.

Currently from my stool in the kitchen I count 2171 lights on in my place, only 151 of them are energy efficient but hey Tis the season! I think LED lights will kill of CFL's in the not so distant future.

I already have 1 multicolored LED light in my place. It cost $14. I got it more for the novelty than for anything else.

I have actually been following LED maturation - hoping that it reaches the point where I can replace all existing lighting (even at substantial cost) - but for now it seems to only be up to use for emergency lighting. I think it is fairly close now (hopefully).

where did you buy it?

Walmart. I got this LED light that looks like a regular lightbulb but the "glass" is opaque white plastic. Inside there are what I think, multiple LED's. There's a button on the side that allows you to go through different colours or select a random mode where the colours keep on changing. It's kind of neat for parties.

Of course, those figures about coal power mercury don't really apply to most people, since just about nowhere uses coal exclusively for electricity. In Ontario, it'd be around 25% coal, depending on the time of day and year. In Quebec, 0%.

And they are not as long-lasting as manufacturers make them out to be. I have had two CFL bulbs fail within eighteen months.

I've had the same CFL's for 6 years now. None of them have failed yet. I'm actually looking forward to that "event". I have an extinguisher on standby. I hear that the early CFL's end of life is marked by the actual burning of the internals of light... lots of smoke, maybe some sparks.

I wish i knew where to get those yellowish tint cfls. I have a drawer full of them after trying all different types and colour temperatures, they all look the same dull white. Can anyone suggest a brand which has the same glow as the old Incandescent?

Look for "Soft White" on the package.

Yeah. Have multiple packs saying soft white but still look too white. Even bought the lowest colour temperature I could find and they still lack the warmth of the incandescent.

I can't tell the difference between most modern CFLs and incandescents. I think the huge difference might be in your head, to some degree. The main irritant for me is the longer wait time for the bulb to emit light (ie, it's perceptible), and the slight flickering before it warms up.

I can't tell the difference between most modern CFLs and incandescents. I think the huge difference might be in your head, to some degree. The main irritant for me is the longer wait time for the bulb to emit light (ie, it's perceptible), and the slight flickering before it warms up.

I agree. Some fixtures in my basement have both CFL's and incandescents and you cant even tell which is which. Jayomatic, go for the Noma brand CFL labeled soft white. Those are the ones I use.

The only problem with CFL bulbs is they don't work properly in freezing temperatures, so you can't use them in the garage for example.

Back