News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I really like that Bell building also. I find them visually appealing. It's how it meets the street that needs work!

The Bell Building is the building I most love to confound people's notion of heritage with. Cruising down the Don Valley with an uninitiated soul, I fire off, "See that building there, that's heritage!". Never fails to gain a reaction.

I like it, too, though in the end.

Oh, and PS, the ugliest building in the world:

Dalian Castle

DSC01252.JPG

Ha!

I waz there. Ugliest, perhaps not, but certainly one of the silliest with absolutely no taste. Apparently though it was meant to bring feng shui to Xinghai Square.

My pic:
2880478633_8e92ab4a54.jpg

The reason I don't like Atlanta is a holistic sense of the word. Office buildings that have poor ground level feeling, little retail. Over half of Atlanta's buildings you can't just walk into and many like SunTrust Plaza are set back from the street as if they want you to stay away. Downtown ceases to exist literally 4 blocks from Peachtree St in any direction. There are some new projects here and there to mix it up, but its still a city in a forest with tract housing and highrises scattered about with no cohesion.

People in Atlanta think they live in the greatest city on earth half the time, but so few seem to understand why they like it beyond cheap stick-home suburbia tract housing and Buckhead... As long as they have a Target and a mall with fine luxuries, and many of them have some (usually protestant evangelical) Jesus to rely on, they seem overconfident in those superficial things. To me those things aren't necessarily much to be proud of, but I disgress.

And then there is Peachtree Center. Ugh.

Ugly on top of ugly.

Bank of America is a fine example of a building that looks incomplete, yet could be beautiful. Then there is the whole fact its in an office park-like environment right next to the 14 lane freeway.

Character isn't Atlanta's strong suit, cheap labor for business and typical American materialism to buy cheap tract homes definately is. Now that the economy for the housing has collapsed its questionable to see if Atlantans can afford their faux-Neiman Marcus lifestyle on $12/hr incomes propped up by housing loans and house trading.

The reason why Atlanta has been so "successful" is that you could own a BMW on $15/hr income by simple financial trickery, and the state government supported the lifestyle, as did our entire national banking system.

Getting $150k loans for a $119k townhouse in Gwinnett County leaves for some impressive cash for not-so-high-rolling income earners. Most people in metro Atlanta make really low incomes relative to the US overall, the cheap labor and cheap costs of living coupled with extremely generous credit is what made Atlanta what it is.

There's a lot that is ugly about Atlanta, being one of the most fake cities in the world is one of them. Its going to become Detroit south by the time I'm old aged, so there's not much love for me to have about the town. When all the toothpick homes built with very bad housing standards start to crumble in 25 years, Atlanta will be in big, big trouble.

BTW, if you want to laugh, watch this real life freak show. Ah, southerners kill me. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCh2FXzD6R4

At least only about 20 or 40% of the south (or 90% if you go to a small enough town LOL) is really like that. Still too high a percent for me to care about the character.

But maybe its unfair to Atlanta, because God Warrior came from Louisiana.

This is Atlanta now and in the future for those who know nothing about it, but have plenty of ignorant things to say about it and it's people!!!

3344 Peachtree Condos
3344peachtree39xw.jpg

New World of Coca Cola Museum

atlanta-page-night-skyline-full.jpg

Downtown_Atlanta_from_James_Wendell_George_Parkway.jpg

My mom works here. It's the IRS building.
PeachtreeSummitOne-001.jpg

6_Midtown_Atlanta.jpg

Downtown_atlanta_night.jpg

Atlantic Station shopping/ business/ condo complex: The city within a city.
atlanticstation.jpg

500_AtlanticStation500.jpg

Upcoming Trump Towers Atlanta
trump-atlanta3.jpg

panorama
PanATL1.jpg

Aquarius Tower. It will utilize wind and solar energy and will be constructed of recycled building materials and use thermally-efficient products
aquariustower2.jpg

The cranes that are all over Atlanta
2620124992_dd24811cc6.jpg

Atlanta from Piedmont Park
2006_Dogwood_Festival_in_Piedmont_Park_with_Midtown_Atlanta_skyline_in_background.JPG

I'd forgive the Shanghai Oriental Pearl Tower if it were built in the 1960s, but it wasn't.

400px-Shanghai_oriental_pearl_tower.JPG

lol, I LOVE that building. It's like the cathedral of television.

Again, folks, it's awkward to offer Toronto-specific examples in a "worldwide" thread...

Holy crap!! Once it;s completely clad, the thing will look awesome!!
(Secretly I'm sad to see the world's tallest ruin fixed) =P

Again, folks, it's awkward to offer Toronto-specific examples in a "worldwide" thread...

Granted it's a thread in the "Rest of the Universe Discussion" section, but Toronto examples are certainly within the scope of the "Ugliest building in the world" topic. As long as it doesn't devolve into a discussion of the ugliest building in Toronto, then it doesn't strike me as either awkward or off-topic.

Back