News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Urban Shocker

Doyenne
Member Bio
Reaction score
Exhibition and Lecture at the ROM:

Unbuilt Toronto: The City That Could Have Been

ICC at the ROM partners with Toronto Society of Architects, November 5 – January 11, 2009

The Institute for Contemporary Culture (ICC) at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), in partnership with the Toronto Society of Architects (TSA) presents Unbuilt Toronto: The City That Could Have Been. Juried images of unbuilt projects from practising architects and designers are juxtaposed against historical images of unrealized building proposals drawn from Mark Osbaldeston’s forthcoming book, Unbuilt Toronto: A History of the City That Might Have Been (Dundurn Press, November, 2008). Exploring a Toronto that could have been, through significant building projects that never were, the exhibition is on display in the ROM’s Hilary and Galen Weston Wing, Level 2 from Wednesday, November 5 to Sunday, January 11, 2009.

“Unbuilt Toronto reveals the hidden or forgotten aspects of the cultural history of Toronto in a dynamic and accessible way” says William Thorsell, Director and CEO of the ROM. “We are pleased to work with the TSA to offer our visitors a unique view of the art, science, and oft-times politics of designing and erecting buildings.”

Presented in two parts, Unbuilt Toronto: The City That Could Have Been consists of historical images – covering more than 150 years and as selected from Mark Osbaldeston’s book. ROM visitors will be exposed to proposals for ambitious and often controversial projects such as the Civic Improvement Committee’s proposed Federal Avenue of 1911, Eaton’s 1928 stand-out College Street tower, and “Project Toronto,” Buckminster Fuller’s futuristic plan for the city from 1968.

The exhibition also features images of more contemporary unrealized projects for Toronto, many of which have never before been seen by the general public. The Toronto Society of Architects has invited designers, large and small, to submit unrealized architectural, landscape or urban design projects that might have resulted in a very different city from the one seen today. To ensure potency of dialogue, the contemporary projects submitted must have had substantial potential for realization within the Greater Toronto Area: each project had a client, was part of an invited submission, or was short-listed for a competition. Final selection by the TSA’s curatorial panel of architects, educators and urbanists will be based on design excellence, the context for cancellation, and the significance of impact had the project been realized.

“We want to bring projects to light so as to best understand whether Toronto dodged a bullet or missed an opportunity,” TSA vice-chair Phil Goodfellow “As we engage in discussion about current and future conceptions of the city, these projects are not only timely but relevant.”

This distinct overview of a Toronto that might have been provides ROM visitors with timely, provocative architectural programming framed alongside previous ICC offerings such as Hiroshi Sugimoto-Daniel Libeskind: The Conversation and the current exhibition on display until November 2, Shanghai Kaleidoscope.

Illustrated Lecture:
Mark Osbaldeston explores never-realized planning, transit and architectural schemes in and around Toronto, from the city’s founding to the 21st century on Thursday, December 4 at 7pm in the Museum’s Signy and Cléophée Eaton Theatre. The free lecture, titled Unbuilt Toronto: A History of the City That Might Have Been explores such questions as where city council would debate today if Viljo Revell hadn’t won the 1958 competition to design the new city hall, why a parcel of downtown land known was known for two decades as the “Mystery Block,” and why there is a Queen Street ghost station.

This sounds like a great exhibition. I can't wait to see it. I wonder how many 'never been seen by the public' canceled projects we may have already seen via UT.

Perhaps Stinson will have an entire wing dedicated to him :p.

Went to the launch party at the ROM last night - lots of people ( mostly students, by the look of it ) crowded into a small room near the dino gallery.

It's a handy-dandy reference guide that flits from one unbuilt project to the next, giving a quick once-over of each, arranged thematically, with plenty of visuals. $27.

I arrived at the ROM at about 7pm, and was told to wait in line because there was too many people in the gallery. However, I didn't think the crowd was so big that I had to stand in line- sure, the room was full of people, but there was more than enough room to move around. Perhaps the ROM was more worried about people bumping into each other and breaking the wine glasses that everybody was holding.

3004924628_aa8bc4c18b_b.jpg

3004089113_fb911fdaa9_b.jpg

I bought the book and got Mark to sign it. We chatted a little... I was wondering why some of Toronto's more prominent unbuilt skyscrapers were not in the book or the exhibit (such as the Weston Skyscraper and the Maryon Tower at College Park), and I also told him about my Sketchup work.

Mark is aware of this UT forum and recognized my name from here. Mark: if you're reading this I just want to say "hi" again and thanks for the great exhibit and the book!

I didn't realize what the queue was for, and breezed in past them all.

The bartenders were quite antsy - telling people not to lean on the table of wine glasses because it would collapse.

One of my favourite, ghastly, unbuilt projects was the 700 ft. smokestack that Hydro wanted to build on Pearl Street in 1968 - it would have been slightly shorter than the TD Centre tower that was the tallest building in Toronto at the time. It isn't in the book.

Pearl Street. Oo-er.

Then again, if it took the form of the Sick Kids stack at Elm + Elizabeth, it wouldn't have been so ghastly...

went to the lecture and thought that Mark gave a great overview of a select group of projects with just enough information to make people there want to get the actual book. i liked the whole atmosphere of the talk which he kept pretty simple with a few jokes here and there.

i learned about a couple new things about the eatons project at yonge/carlton which was interesting. i'm definitely going to buy the book now.

ps. were there 2 UT members at the lecture by any chance? i thought i overheard someone behind me mentioning something about a forum being down but hesistated in asking if they were talking about UT.

Smunck - where were you sitting compared to where we were?

(Quite enjoyed the talk too - Mark Osbaldeston was quite engaging.)

No doubt the place was crawling with forumers.

An enjoyable evening. Though, if Osbaldeston had been at the Court Noxon book launch at George Brown's design school the night before, he wouldn't have been so incomprehending of the enthusiasm to replace Victorian buildings with Modernism in the immediate post-WW2 years. Adam Vaughan explained the mood and thinking of those days nicely, in his eloquent introduction.

I was there as well (second to last row). As someone who has only lived in Toronto for just under two years, I thought it was pretty fascinating and cemented the importance of the city as a centre of commerce and industry throughout its history. I think the unbuilt projects display this even more than the ones that have been built only because it shows that at least people could dream in Toronto and at one point those dreams would have been realistic (for the most part). Coming from Welland, I'm pretty sure the only "unbuilt" structures would have been plans for family homes that never made it to fruition, so it was just amazing to see so many projects and possibilities.

I think the lecture was well done. Perfect mix of humour and information and at no point did it drag. In fact, I wish he had taken another 15 or 20 minutes to present another unbuilt project. The only disappointment was the question period. When it wasn't a long winded old man, it seemed like the questions were more about today than yesterday, and it would have been nice to hear a couple more relevant questions.

Back