News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

A Bathroom and kitchen are required in Ontario for a dwelling to be sold as a residence.

that's getting close to the change i'm talking about.

what i was getting at is really the lag time between occupancy and condo registration (ie actually ownership).

under this white-box scenario, with nothing but capped water lines etc, the developer could no longer move you in, and make you pay rent until final registration.

and you couldn't complete renos prior to registration, because the bldg and your future unit are still owned by the developer, who would not take on the liability.

My father purchased a condo in China years ago and at that time i would call it more like "grey box", just a concrete shell. The utilities like water and electrical fed to the unit but that was it, no internal plumbing or electrical. I'm unaware if this still exists but the windows were also non-standard. Infact on of the things people upgraded first as a display of wealth were the exterior windows. The result however were highrise buildings that had checkerboard exteriors with different colour and type of windows.

My father purchased a condo in China years ago and at that time i would call it more like "grey box", just a concrete shell. The utilities like water and electrical fed to the unit but that was it, no internal plumbing or electrical. I'm unaware if this still exists but the windows were also non-standard. Infact on of the things people upgraded first as a display of wealth were the exterior windows. The result however were highrise buildings that had checkerboard exteriors with different colour and type of windows.

This is also common in Eastern Europe. You basically buy the shell with the hookups, everything else is your concern.

As a buyer, I would love to buy a concrete shell and finish as I see fit - even the interior walls, floors and ceilings.

That said, it would be a problem for the builders and city planners if the project is not done properly. There would have to be some clear standards set for the exterior appearance (windows, railings, etc) as well as minimum thresholds for interior items such a kitchens and bathrooms (to meet the residence requirements).

It would be ideal if you purchase the shell, complete with a kitchen and bathroom as required (though built to your size/design) and do the rest from there. I've been involved in many projects where condos were completely gutted, in some cases multiple units joined, and completely new floor plans were created within the old boundaries. Vaulted ceilings, bigger kitchens, spacious bathrooms - all done by removing a bedroom and shifting walls around.

It would be REALLY nice to be able to buy two units stacked on top of each other and build a multi-level space, feeling more like a townhouse. This has been done before of course, but I'm surprised it's no done more.

I would worry about if and when inspections would or not be required. Would plumbing, electrical, and building permit have to be requested or are they already included? Would I need a Mike Holmes to do the work, or can I do it myself?

Back