News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Complaints after complaints. South Korea is much further away from the Southwestern USA, just for your info, and those imports seem to work fine from a locational perspective.

Anyway, I haven't read your entire spill on labor costs from the CAW, but what I don't have yet is solid evidence that its $27 more per hour in Canada.

If you can show an actual chart/dataset of Canadian dollars what the average CAW employee is paid I'd love to see it. Of course I prefer one with un-fudged data that doesn't use exchange rates as a trick of numbers to inflate what the number actually is.

Unions of today is more about greed than protection of workers.There is so many government laws that protects workers without unions intervention,unions these days are so fat at the top,sides,bottoms they can get away with murder on the demands.CAW talking head only last week talk about NOT providing any serious wage concessions and pension concessions to save the company,they need to keep their "standard of living"???..this is really how unions act,they are entitled to the wages,they entitled to the benefits,they are entitled to the fat bonuses.Wake up people your jobs are on the line you cannot keep making $40cdn an hour by screwing in bolts these days.The gravy train has stopped.

Well they did agree to no raises for the next three years, and they are not working most of January. I think they will end up taking a cut. It looks like they are waiting to the bitter end, even though it has arrived.

Unions suck, look at GM.

THEY WILL NOT EVEN CONSIDER TAKEN A PAY CUT TO SAVE THIER JOBS!!

Sounds like union members think they have the same right to improve their incomes as bankers, stock brokers, senior management and others in the top ten percent of wage earners.

How naive.

If union members and other "workers" get more money then there is less for senior managers who are responsible for all the decisions that have gotten us to where we are today.

we are talking about the real world..the days are over for over paid CAW workers,if you want to compete you must compromise.You make terrible products dont expect tax payers to bail them out so they can get their "entitlement wages"...

Since you presume that these people are "over paid," maybe you could provide the wage they ought to be receiving.

Many Canadian auto facilities are noted for the quality of the vehicles produced - including those made CAW members.

Not all CAW workers are over paid. CAW part supplier workers also make parts for Honda and Toyota as well as the big 3. They don't make as much money as the car assemblers do.

Unions of today is more about greed than protection of workers.There is so many government laws that protects workers without unions intervention,unions these days are so fat at the top,sides,bottoms they can get away with murder on the demands.CAW talking head only last week talk about NOT providing any serious wage concessions and pension concessions to save the company,they need to keep their "standard of living"???..this is really how unions act,they are entitled to the wages,they entitled to the benefits,they are entitled to the fat bonuses.Wake up people your jobs are on the line you cannot keep making $40cdn an hour by screwing in bolts these days.The gravy train has stopped.

I agree!! I mean just look at the TTC workers, they are paid 25$ an hour FOR DRIVING A BUS!!:eek: I mean, that's like my new dream job LOLOL. Ok, to be fair, they do come across bitch people who treat them like CRAP, but that's what customer service is. Driving a TTC bus/streetcar IS customer service, you interact with people. I should not get an attitude any different from the TTC than from a bank. I mean I went to my bank last month, because someone stole 100 dollars from my card, I was pretty calm, but I was half-screaming at the poor girl by the end of the conversation. Then I felt bad and apologized, but in any case, she welcomed everyone with a smile, not like the TTC drivers who just look at you like you're trash.

I had a horrible experience with that once. I had to go to my doctor's office on Dundas West Station, coming from Kipling. I completely forgot about the transfer rules for the subway, so I left with a transfer from DW station, forgetting it can't work at that station. In any case, after I came back from my doctor, who was on vacation, and screwed me over, I went to the station. I showed the woman the transfer and was about to go through, but she said stop. And then she's like: you can't go in with that transfer.So i tried the one from my Kipling bus, but she's like no. So I say: what am I supposed to do now?? Walk to the border of Toronto from DW station. She says, and I will never forget this, : I don't care, you stupid little kid, go beg for money from someone. I was outraged so I left and walked to two stations over to High Park, where my Kipling transfer was accepted because the Lambton bus goes from Kipling to HP. OMG, i will never forget that in all my life.

Wow, now that that really long rant about that TTC is over,, I can get back on topic. The CAW does have noble intentions, and I am NOT generalizing by the transit unions who are just complete sinkholes of money and time

EDIT: no I didn't have ANY money on me whatsoever!! An it was my mistake for screwing up the transfer, but the way I was treated there was terrible.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, I started this thread more about public sector unions and the tom foolery they caused (specifically in response to various locals negotiating contracts with highest pay clauses ensuring a never ending stream of wage hikes) not a generall union bashing thread. My official position with private sector unions is that I don't care. I wont buy shares in any company with an activist union and am generally ambivalent towards them. If the CAW wants to screw younger workers in order to maintain seniority, fine. Do whatever. I'm not buying CAW made cars, and I don't want anything to do with them.

Public sector unions though are an entirely different thing. You can't avoid them, you can't reason with them and the public at large cannot win against them. Their pay scales (see figure below) are grossly out of line with private sector norms. Unlike other unions, which can at least maintain the guise of looking out for the little guy, public sector unions clearly disadvantage low income Canadians disproportionately. Look at the York U TA strike. Tens of thousands of students are being locked out of a term of school. Richer students who can pay out of pocket will just be able to make it up during the summer, but those who rely on summer work to fund their education are in quite a difficult position because of this.
aFE1206-PUBLIC-PRIVATE.eps.jpg

I agree!! I mean just look at the TTC workers, they are paid 25$ an hour FOR DRIVING A BUS!!:eek: I mean, that's like my new dream job LOLOL.

What would you expect them to be paid? The rest of your post seems to suggest that your objections to the wage are based upon your experiences. Employees like the ones you encountered don't set the policy on transfers (poor manners or otherwise).

I wont buy shares in any company with an activist union and am generally ambivalent towards them.

I'd like to see more employees acquire shares in the company. If people have an actual stake in the company it might alter the relationship between workers and management.

Which private urban transit sector in Canada? Your little graph isn't terribly useful.

Will you take cost of living comparisons into account, too?

Bus Driver deserve to be paid that much.

Being payed $20 tops for standing on a old dirty smelly chair with a big jacket with your fat bloated stomach sticking out and being half asleep collecting tokens is wasteful.

That is overpaying people and imo the city needs people to collect tokens and I would imagine a lot of people would work for half that.

Its not the city's responsibility to provide overpaying jobs. Its job is to use taxpayer's money in the most effective way possible
Will you take cost of living comparisons into account, too?

The thing is a joke. I know people making 35-40k a year living comfortable compared to the 55-70k these unions guy make saying things are getting hard. :p

What would you expect them to be paid? The rest of your post seems to suggest that your objections to the wage are based upon your experiences. Employees like the ones you encountered don't set the policy on transfers (poor manners or otherwise).

Truth is considering how well payed, pampered and protected they are, its disgraceful the service they provide to people. The more disgraceful part is that you tolerate it. That attitude of tolerating mediocrity is a great hurt to these city.:mad:

"Truth is considering how well payed, pampered and protected they are, its disgraceful the service they provide to people. The more disgraceful part is that you tolerate it. That attitude of tolerating mediocrity is a great hurt to these city."

How a unionized employee performs is entirely up to Management. Your obsession with "fat bloated stomach sticking out" City employees is simply offensive and displays a large degree of ignorance, IMO.

Back