News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ontario's French university receives only 19 applications from province's students

Jan 24, 2021

After much pushback and protest kept Universite de l'Ontario Francais alive, the new French language school has only received 19 applications from Ontario students as of Jan. 17.

Vice-rector Denis Berthiaume confirmed that the University has also received around 20 additional admission requests from abroad or from adults who are considering a return to school. That brings the total number of requests received so far to 39.

Rector André Roy had previously said the school's goal was to have 200 students for its first semester, which is scheduled to begin this September.

Admission applications can still be submitted, but Jan. 17 was the first deadline in the university calendar across the province.

The applications also don't mean that students will necessarily choose the university, which is located in downtown Toronto, if they are admitted, as students can apply for admission to multiple programs.

Berthiaume told Radio-Canada that the start of the school year will go ahead as planned in September, no matter the number of confirmed students.

That seems surprisingly low on the one hand; but with the severe cutbacks in in-person schooling; and no chance to send reps of the Uni around to French Highschools in the GTA or Ottawa, not a total shock.

Tough environment in which to get your message out.

That seems surprisingly low on the one hand; but with the severe cutbacks in in-person schooling; and no chance to send reps of the Uni around to French Highschools in the GTA or Ottawa, not a total shock.

Tough environment in which to get your message out.

Yeah, same for other strong Franco-Ontarian communities around the Sudbury, North Bay, Sault Ste Marie, Timmins regions, along with other scattered ones in the southwestern part of the province. Likely the current (few) graduation classes will stick with the pragmatic, established choices for post-secondary education or even more so with schools close by to their hometown.

On a separate note, I'm curious to see the short-term enrolment impacts (if any) to programs such as culinary or hospitality management at George Brown, or the arts at OCAD. One of the things I missed attending last year because of the pandemic was the annual OCAD Grad Ex, which I've enjoyed in previous years.

I am glad a French-language university is opening in Toronto, but as a Francophone, there is no way that I would consider anything but a Québec university - although for someone educated in Ontario, an additional qualifying year would be required due to differences in the education system.

Université de l’Ontario français will start their first year of academic operations with around 150 students. Reportedly, about 75% of their student base are from different countries abroad and will begin their studies this semester virtually.

UOF celebrated a ribbon cutting and inauguration event on November 12, 2021:

uof.jpg

Back