News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

yet another thing to boggle the mind about the city is the fact that they've recently done a bunch of landscaping work on 2 similar triangles at Adelaide and Parliament and somwhere around Eastern and Sumach. Basically 2 locations in the middle of nowhwere with very little pedestrian traffic. Yet, they ignore one smack in the middle of the city that thousands of tourists walk by every day and leave it up to Fairmont to fix. it's been a shambles for years

This one is getting rejuvenate is it not. BTW, the financing of the two Corktown triangles as well as two others on Yonge by Lakeshore is essentially the same as Fairmont stepping in to fix this one ... yep, good old section 37. (or is that the Federation's black ops program? )

Future Mayor has a point. There's a big difference between the municipality taking the initiative and then going out to seek private sector funding, and the private sector coming to the city asking if they can do something.

That being said, good for Fairmont. It's not surprising that a little piece of land like that, however well-located, got overlooked by people other than its immediate neighbours.

This "evil corporate private sector" gripe is going to far. Look at it this way: it's not implausible that the landlords of something like the Royal York might have initiated something like this back in the 1930s...

Why? It's just a patch of empty land with a ramp to a city-owned parking garage. They should absolutely fix it, and I'm sure there won't be any structural issues or anything like that.

I mean if it's not falling apart, there may be no one thinking about "fixing" it. edit - except for people in the Royal York that stare at it all day, of course.

There is no need to "fix it" at all. It is a grassy patch sandwiched between 3 roads. It isnt falling apart, it isnt a blight on the neighbourhood. That said....

Is it beautiful? No.
It is functional? For what it is, there is no need for function other than the ramp to underground parking.
Should something go there? Sure, but it is not terribly important.

What should go there? I think that the site could use a tall monument or piece of art. I would hate if they try to make this a place for people to want to go sit during their luch break. I dont think it will work. The site is small, and deserves nothing but to be looked at, not ventured onto.

I like the idea of something a little more "classical" (read: not "modern art").

Keep in mind that the corner might be due for some serious construction, with the PATH expansion plan and the Union Station precinct work in the near future.

AoD

I would dearly love to see it but I am not hopeful there will be any Union Station precinct work on the scale as we have seen proposed.

What should go there? I think that the site could use a tall monument or piece of art. I would hate if they try to make this a place for people to want to go sit during their luch break. I dont think it will work. The site is small, and deserves nothing but to be looked at, not ventured onto.

I like the idea of something a little more "classical" (read: not "modern art").

I agree with you. They seem to do so much more of this in Europe where it is common for multiple streets to meet at angles like this. Is this purely decorative rather than functional? Sure, but who wants to live in a place that is purely functional! If the city is as broke as it claims, maybe private initiatives like this should be encouraged. It's good PR for the company. Everybody wins.

Back