40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

IanO

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
image.jpg

Okay this sounds pretty cool, although I wish we had more info on whatever it is.

I kind of agree with the parking issue... If you're building an infill low rise building with 118 units, literally steps away from an LRT stop, having over 90 parking spaces seem a little excessive to me. Cut parking down in half, work with the city to have the streets around the building listed as playground zones, to reduce speeds and minimize safety issues...

aaaaaallllll the traffic. (as someone living along 155 street, which has 3+ stories along 156street with hundreds of apartments, the traffic is always exaggerated...).

Is there data tracked anywhere that has seen how traffic changes when these projects are completed? I think that's critical to share when future meetings happen and people use the traffic arguments. I understand how the "perception" of a 200 unit project could seem crazy for traffic. But in reality, most of those cars are probably used for 2 "in+out" trips a day and are present in the area for less than 30 seconds. So spread out over the day with a few "peaks" at 8 and 5:30....i can't see it actually creating issues.

Maybe left turns out of areas could be backed up? Anyone have data or first hand experience?

aaaaaallllll the traffic. (as someone living along 155 street, which has 3+ stories along 156street with hundreds of apartments, the traffic is always exaggerated...).

Is there data tracked anywhere that has seen how traffic changes when these projects are completed? I think that's critical to share when future meetings happen and people use the traffic arguments. I understand how the "perception" of a 200 unit project could seem crazy for traffic. But in reality, most of those cars are probably used for 2 "in+out" trips a day and are present in the area for less than 30 seconds. So spread out over the day with a few "peaks" at 8 and 5:30....i can't see it actually creating issues.

Maybe left turns out of areas could be backed up? Anyone have data or first hand experience?
I remember seeing a public presentation by someone in the City that analyzed this very thing years ago (I can't recall where I saw it, might be on Youtube). That said, I don't know if the data is made public.

Given that it is so close to the LRT, I suspect that many of the people who live there will actually use it regularly or often. Yes, they may still have vehicles they use occasionally, so they may still need or want parking spaces.

However, I think just extrapolating the number of parking spaces here and predicting traffic congestion misses this important nuance here.

My thoughts are similar. It's not like this is placed in the center of the neighbourhood where vehicle traffic on a lot of streets within will increase substantially--instead rather, it's right on the outer perimeter of the neighbourhood. The only traffic that should really have a noticeable affect on anything is the left turns in and out, no?

Alternatively, I do wonder if continued large multifam developments like this could maybe help overall area traffic? 114 st has been and continues to be a vehicular traffic nightmare--vast majority of those heading to and from the U of A (students/faculty for the uni, staff/patients for the hospital, and all the ancillary folks)--but if you could supply a ~1000 new residential units across a few different developments within McKernan/Belgravia so that folks can just walk/LRT over to the U of A, then that's a lot of traffic being removed from 114st.

Maybe a stretch? But it seems about as logical as the argument for the addition of traffic to the point it'll cause an effect.

114th and 76th is personally my most used intersection and while it can get pretty clogged, it’s not too bad for most of the year. The issue with the lights is that they’re bad at being smart lmao. Each time a train comes, the cycle always starts with EB traffic, and only one direction goes at once which means if a train triggers the cycle and EB goes, but another comes before WB can go, the cycle starts with EB again. I’ve watched EB go three times while WB and NB left lane on 114th have had to wait. I think if they fixed that light to have the cycle not reset, it would work.

Back