News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I lurked around the Toronto Skyscraper Forum as early as 1999...? Hard to remember. I do recall a limit on the number of posts you could view per day. I also remember everyone getting very exciting about renderings of a 20-storey building at the corner of of Simcoe and Nelson in the middle of what was then a gigantic parking lot. Today that (very non-descript) building is lost in a thicket of towers.

The forum didn't exist in 99 - it might have been SkyscraperPage but I am not sure. Anyways, I don't think anyone got *excited* about University Plaza...

GB/AoD

I remember French Quarter, Spire, and Radio City being actively followed on the forum, back before we had threads per project and the updates were a bit more scattered. I'd also think the forum is more than 20 years old.

Something I used to wonder about and sort of put out of mind was Billy Corgan. Obvious pseudonym, don't think I ever saw his real name, but were his real initials possibly AP? A bunch of details lined up that made me think I knew him (or of him) from elsewhere

Ha. And like that, the question is solved!

I think I liked my head canon that he was AP. I may stick with that, seeing that it's really inconsequential

My join date says I started in 2009, but I lurked for years before officially joining. I probably found the site in 2006 or so.

The vibe was very different on the forum in the 2000s - Toronto's building boom was just starting, and people seemed concerned that it could end at any moment (no doubt due to the precedent of the "stump.") There was also a worry that Toronto was not "world-class" enough - every development seemed to be proof one way or the other. Toronto got its trifecta of starchitect cultural building additions - the AGO renovations, the ROM crystal, Will Alsop's OCAD tabletop - and people fretted about each of them in different ways. We also got a new opera house in grey brick, which unknown to us at the time would start a trend for grey brick which has yet to die down. Aside from the outside starchitects, it felt like aA vs the young crowd (Teeple, Saucier and Perrotte, Quadrangle, etc.), with a few people still stanning Diamond and Schmitt and KPMB.

And then we got Rob Ford and the Great Recession.

Looking back, so many of the worries and concerns seemed so quaint - people were afraid that too much development would "kill" the life in the various neighbourhoods in Toronto, and that the low-rise character of these neighbourhoods was important to retain. And now, I think, many people would be happy if a neighbourhood was "killed" a little because it would hopefully mean its property values would sink.

Last edited:
I remember French Quarter, Spire, and Radio City being actively followed on the forum, back before we had threads per project and the updates were a bit more scattered. I'd also think the forum is more than 20 years old.

Something I used to wonder about and sort of put out of mind was Billy Corgan. Obvious pseudonym, don't think I ever saw his real name, but were his real initials possibly AP? A bunch of details lined up that made me think I knew him (or of him) from elsewhere

Billy Corgan definitely isn't AP - his real name is on the UT Wiki entry and a quick search revealed he is around and enjoying life in a very different direction! For the record I don't know AP in person either.

Speaking of SP!RE - we really need a page/thread dedicated to the memories of forumers that have passed. We have been around long enough to get a number of them now.

GB/AoD

Oh and here is the thread for the final signoff for ezboard:

The vibe was very different on the forum in the 2000s - Toronto's building boom was just starting, and people seemed concerned that it could end at any moment (no doubt due to the precedent of the "stump.") There was also a worry that Toronto was not "world-class" enough - every development seemed to be proof one way or the other. Toronto got its trifecta of starchitect cultural building additions - the AGO renovations, the ROM crystal, Will Alsop's OCAD tabletop - and people fretted about each of them in different ways. We also got a new opera house in grey brick, which unknown to us at the time would start a trend for grey brick which has yet to die down. Aside from the outside starchitects, it felt like aA vs the young crowd (Teeple, Saucier and Perrotte, Quadrangle, etc.), with a few people still stanning Diamond and Schmitt and KPMB.

re: Cultural staritecture - 6 projects actually:

ROM
AGO
Opera House
Royal Conservatory
National Ballet School
Gardiner Museum

GB/AoD

Last edited:
Started lurking here in August 2008 (15 years ago this month) and have been religiously checking this site regularly since then until I finally joined in 2020.

Back then, Bay-Adelaide Centre, RBC Centre and Success tower were rising and the classic skyline was just starting to change. While I don't love everything going up in the city, I've enjoyed all the updates and various discussions of developments over the years. This site has been a fantastic resource for me and I'm sure for many others as well.

Keep up the great work!

re: Cultural staritecture - 6 projects actually:

ROM
AGO
Opera House
Royal Conservatory
National Ballet School
Gardiner Museum

GB/AoD
I would argue that only the ROM, AGO and OCAD had starchitects: internationally known architects chosen for their "out of the box" designs - Libeskind, Gehry and Alsop. Four Seasons had Diamond Schmitt and the rest were done by KPMB - not starchitects by my estimation.

It was a big time for cultural developments, though!

I would argue that only the ROM, AGO and OCAD had starchitects: internationally known architects chosen for their "out of the box" designs - Libeskind, Gehry and Alsop. Four Seasons had Diamond Schmitt and the rest were done by KPMB - not starchitects by my estimation.

It was a big time for cultural developments, though!

I was thinking it more in the political/economic environment in which this happened.

GB/AoD

Visiting UrbanToronto has been very formative for me over the years. I lurked and checked it almost daily in various forms over the years, starting around age 16. Today I’m in my 30s and work at an architecture firm producing a large body of high rise work in Toronto. Thank you, UT, for helping feed my addiction and steering me in the direction of city building, urban design, and architecture. It wouldn’t have been the same without the daily dose of photos & commentary.

I should add, the number of people in our office who are aware of UrbanToronto or have it open on their screens from day to day is amazing to me because when I originally started looking at the message board here years ago, nobody was aware of what it was and the membership was quite small. Today the dialogue that happens here is on a lot of people’s radar.

Edit: I should add — I think the most gratifying and surreal moment for me as a UTer was when I first had one of my own designs go up in the boards here for the first time, renderings and all. It was surreal to think back on all the years of being the spectator, engaging in dialogue about designs I saw posted in the forums, and to now be on the other end of it, watching my design work be critiqued and discussed.

Last edited:
It was called Toronto Skyscraper Forum in the beginning - until the name change to Urban Toronto (we also had an old logo designed back in 2002 or so - if I remember correctly by @Jayomatic (I will let him testify to the veracity of that piece of memory). It all happened fairly early on in the ezboard era. For those who doesn't know - the current forum record does not contain a lot of the early posts from Ezboard - it was a limitation of that particular forum software.

Looking back, I don't think any of us could have imagined how much of an impact the forum had - we turned finding (and reading) city development reports into a favourite pastime (and I remember teaching new folks how to search for them)

Truly proud of all of you guys.

GB/AoD
Wow. I totally forgot about that. I should see if I can dig it up somewhere. Wow 20 years has gone by quickly. I remember how excited we all were at the prospect of a 30+ story building and desperately hoping for some commercial development. We're spoiled for choice these days.

Happy birthday UT! It's amazing to see how this community has grown over the years thanks to some of the great leadership running things. While I don't post or obsess as often as I used to, it always brings me joy to scroll through hundreds of posts every couple weeks.

Last edited:
Wow. I totally forgot about that. I should see if I can dig it up somewhere. Wow 20 years has gone by quickly. I remember how excited we all were at the prospect of a 30+ story building and desperately hoping for some commercial development. We're spoiled for choice these days.

Happy birthday UT! It's amazing to see how this community has grown over the years thanks to some of the great leadership running things. While I don't post or obsess as often as I used to, it always brings me joy to scroll through hundreds of posts every couple weeks.

Remember when Pantages by Core was like the thing to talk about? Or the 20s Maritime Life building?

AoD

Reactions: amh

Back