News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Daniel Girard

Fuelled by population growth in the suburbs, the Mississauga campus has grown by 70 per cent in seven years. But students say it still has the feel of a small university, with all the benefits U of T offers.

In most families, the youngest gets spoiled with new toys. Same goes at U of T Mississauga.

UTM, established in 1967 - three years after the university's other suburban campus in Scarborough - is home to some impressive new facilities.

The Recreation, Athletic and Wellness Centre, known as the RAWC and pronounced "rock," comes complete with a state-of-the-art, eight-lane swimming pool. It opened last fall, a month before the library, named for Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion. It's equipped with bookshelves that move with the press of a button, a fireplace and spacious rooms for group study.

A 423-bed residence, the eighth on campus, just opened this fall and is named for renowned jazz pianist Oscar Peterson, a Mississauga resident. Next fall, an Academy of Medicine will open.

It's all part of a building boom at the picturesque 91-hectare campus on the banks of the Credit River. Fuelled by population growth in the Greater Toronto regions and the double cohort, UTM's student body has increased by about 70 per cent since 2000. But it still manages to maintain the feel of a small university, complete with short walks to class down tree-lined pathways past a host of familiar faces.

"You get the best of both worlds," says one political science student. "You're at U of T but you don't have to go downtown for your classes. And I never have any trouble finding my friends."

You can take classes downtown if you want - students at any of the three campuses can go to the others. However, those attending both Mississauga and Scarborough complain that desirable courses at the main campus often fill before they get a chance to sign up.

Even if they never attend classes downtown, UTM students have a free shuttle bus weekdays and four nights a week to take them there and back to use the libraries, attend guest lectures or just hang out. They can also get books from the libraries at other campuses delivered within a couple of days.

UTM has three joint programs with Sheridan College: art and art history; communication, culture and information technology; and theatre and drama studies. Graduates receive both a university degree and a college certificate or diploma.

But one art student says "it's a big hassle" to have to travel to Sheridan's Oakville campus for her weekly classes, "especially if I have to carry a wet two-foot-by-three-foot canvas home with me on the shuttle bus."

For many UTM students, there's no need to ever go anywhere else; students describe it as a "comfortable school."

There are plenty of places for students to gather, from the Meeting Place - a popular hangout near the registrar's office complete with fast-food kiosks and sofa-style chairs - to the Blind Duck Pub in the Student Centre, the cafeteria or Spice CafŽ, which has multicultural offerings, in the North Building.

"If I miss a class, I know I'm not going to have any problem finding someone to give me notes," says a woman studying psychology and biological anthropology.

But one political science and history major says the "glorified high school" feel of UTM is frustrating. He says the pub nights are too tame and the venue is too small.

"I've kind of given up on campus life. It's pretty much non-existent. People just stick within their own groups."

Louroz

The head of UTM is the highest paid post-secondary official in the entire province. He's called himself "CEO" so that's probably why he gets more than $500,000 a year, over $100,000 more than the President of U of T.

The difference between the new facilities at UTM (especially the new library) and what I have to put up with at UTSC is night and day. UTSC is shot through with incompetence, cronyism, lack of vision, and corruption, with its excretious library the chief symbol of its financial, intellectual and monetary pauperism. By contrast, UTM is a jewel. I almost cried when I visited its magnificent new library. Everything at UTM, from the landscaping to the library to its website is so much more professional, it's maddening. You might as well be discussing two entirely different institutions, it's that bad.

Both campuses, for example, have roughly the same enrolment (10,000 students), but UTM has a full-time complement of about 12 librarians who teach courses and are fully engaged with the faculty, while we make due with, at most, three, pigeonholed, ignored and neglected due to the constant pissing contest between various academic departments over a shrinking pool of money controlled through downtown. Ours is the only campus not allowed to engage in deficit financing, and it shows, the result of borderline criminal incompetency on the part of past administrators, whose tenure never reaches even half of their advertised contracts, so desperate are they to leave this backwater.

Needless to say, I'd love a transfer.

I have only heard bad from my friends who attend UTM. My cousin just started this fall and is already thinking of switching to another University. I think it has a long way to go before it loses its 'joke' title.

By contrast, UTM is a jewel. I almost cried when I visited its magnificent new library. Everything at UTM, from the landscaping to the library to its website is so much more professional,

And at what other campus would one find deer roaming around during the winter?

UTSC? (No, I'm not being a smart aleck. Just deducing by the valleyside location...)

UTM will remain a joke for as long as it's located in Mississauga. It the meanwhile, they can at least have computer labs that have enough chairs and the computers themselves work properly.

But one political science and history major says the "glorified high school" feel of UTM is frustrating. He says the pub nights are too tame and the venue is too small.

"I've kind of given up on campus life. It's pretty much non-existent. People just stick within their own groups."

This is exactly why Erinjail is considered a joke. I would hope that attitude is less prevalent now. All the new construction is great though. It's nice to see it growing, especially with regards to residence space. They need all the on-campus residents they can get.

I have to say though, the pub design is ridiculous. What kind of pub has wall to wall windows? I hope they updated the interior so it doesn't feel like a gym anymore.

UTM will remain a joke for as long as it's located in Mississauga. It the meanwhile, they can at least have computer labs that have enough chairs and the computers themselves work properly.

No, it will remain a joke as long as it is located in the middle of nowhere in Mississauga. If it was somewhere with more exposure it could become something.

No, it will remain a joke as long as it is located in the middle of nowhere in Mississauga. If it was somewhere with more exposure it could become something.

I don't agree with that. I think the campus has a good location; it's actually nice. When inside, you wouldn't even know you're in Mississauga. It's nicely done. It's the people that really contribute to the highschool atmosphere.

Um, york located just Northeast of Jane/Finch and people think its cool.

Back