News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Could be a good thing... control at a more granular level by those with a more complete and vested interest should always be a good thing.

Could be a good thing... control at a more granular level by those with a more complete and vested interest should always be a good thing.
Perhaps, if this is a not for profit organization with an interest in this and an aptitude for running it, rather than a private profit oriented one.

And please do not get some thing from someplace else that knows little about or cares little about our local situation, that mistake has been made before.

Did you read the article?... they already stated that they would look to turn it over to VZDS a non-profit group that is already engaged in all things Valley Zoo.

"Council in January asked city staff to research a range of options for reducing the zoo’s reliance on taxes and staff presented only one option. Stevenson said she would like to see other avenues and models explored so they can weigh the pros and cons.

“I worry that we will have a vision returned to us (in the master plan) that is not going to be a financially feasible one or one we can commit to as a city,” she said. “Hopefully there are options, but I think I will really be looking for creative solutions if there are some funding gaps.”

Ward Karhiio Coun. Keren Tang, who initiated this review, was expecting to see more options, but she does see discussion moving in the right direction."

Goodness, City Administration sucks. They are getting very good at ignoring Council's orders/requests.

^getting good? Have you ever watched a BBC sitcom called "Yes Minister"? I worked for the City for 14 yrs and (unfortunately), our section's yearly budget was always dropped in my lap to prep. We would prepare 4 scenarios as directed; maintain current, +4%, -2%, -5% (or some such amounts).... the budget decreases were always achieved by cutting things we knew the public would be in arms about and we knew that and we knew Council would balk at those decisions. It was a game then, probably still is. There are 2 entities running this city. Council, who's job it is to set policy and who relies on what Admin tells them, and Admin, which really runs the city...shock, surprise GASP! I assign no moral value to any of this.

Last edited:
^getting good? I worked for the City for 14 yrs and (unfortunately), our section's yearly budget was always dropped in my lap to prep. We would prepare 4 scenarios...maintain current, +4%, -2%, -5% (or some such amounts).... the budget decreases were always achieved by cutting things we knew the public would be in arms about. It was a game then, probably still is. There are 2 entities running this city. Council, who relies on what Admin tells them, and Admin, which really runs the city...shock, surprise GASP!
Fair point, I guess the change may be they don't even put effort into pretending anymore.

Did you read the article?... they already stated that they would look to turn it over to VZDS a non-profit group that is already engaged in all things Valley Zoo.
I did and initially wondered if I missed that, but when I re-read it carefully, the article referred to handing control to a third party, then after that referred to potentially giving more responsibility to VZDS and then said nothing is set in stone.

So, VZDS may (or may not) end up being the third party.

Great addition! But how come no one knew there was a “new Wolf paddock” under construction? Zero communication from the city or zoo…..what a piss poor organization. Am I only one who is frustrated with this? Where is the press release on this new zoo addition? Wolf presser - great! But nothing on a multi million dollar new enclosure?

Last edited:
I am also very puzzled why this was not publicly mentioned until now. Was this some sort of top secret construction for some reason? Are French Wolves that controversial?

However, this addition sounds like a good thing.

Back