News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

If you want to ride on the Gardner your best bet is to take the GO Transit bus route 16 express to Hamilton.

Why express to Hamilton?? Just take the frequent Milton GO bus over the Gardiner to Cooksville and walk 10 minutes up Hurontario to Absolute, which is one of the destinations on the list anyway. Roughly half the price too.

If you haven't found a place to stay yet I highly recommend this:

http://www.executiveunderground.ca/

Very clean and nicely decorated, cook your own breakfast (lots of lovely ingredients supplied), short walk to Younge subway. The fellows that run it are terrific.

Last edited:
Anth said:
Why express to Hamilton?? Just take the frequent Milton GO bus over the Gardiner to Cooksville and walk 10 minutes up Hurontario to Absolute, which is one of the destinations on the list anyway. Roughly half the price too.
My apologies vanman for the bad suggestion. I did think of the Milton Train-Bus.

Thanks for the info I'm definitely going to do this. Once during the day and again at night. I've watched a couple Youtube videos of people cruising the Gardinier and it looks like something out of Tokyo!

If you haven't found a place to stay yet I highly recommend this:

http://www.executiveunderground.ca/

Very clean and nicely decorated, cook your own breakfast (lots of lovely ingredients supplied), short walk to Younge subway. The fellows that run it are terrific.

Thanks for the link but it looks too quiet and out of the way for my taste. I'd prefer to stay downtown in the heart of all the action.

I've watched a couple Youtube videos of people cruising the Gardinier and it looks like something out of Tokyo!

Ohh... catch is the GO bus goes down Bay to Lake Shore and gets on the Gardiner at Spadina to the west, so you won't see most of the downtown part. You could just take a cab and loop around, but I wouldn't recommend taking one all the way to Mississauga ($$$).

Cheers!

Thanks for the link but it looks too quiet and out of the way for my taste. I'd prefer to stay downtown in the heart of all the action.

You can get a room in a 3* or 4* hotel downtown for $75 or so on priceline, especially at this time of year. Take a look on here to see what others bid for this time of year: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=166&
It looks like a lot of people are getting the Sheraton Centre which is right across from Nathan Phillips Square and about as central as you could possibly be in the city.

Ohh... catch is the GO bus goes down Bay to Lake Shore and gets on the Gardiner at Spadina to the west, so you won't see most of the downtown part. You could just take a cab and loop around, but I wouldn't recommend taking one all the way to Mississauga ($$$).

Cheers!

It gets on at York. You can't get on to the Gardiner from Lake Shore at Spadina.

It's more impressive in the other direction (inbound).

For anyone interested I spent 3 days in Toronto and stayed at the Canadiana Backpackers hostel. It's in awesome location close to King and St Andrew(?) station. The first two nights were really good and I spent alot of time riding the subways and streetcars, and taking a bunch of pics. I would have liked to have taken more pics but the cold was just too much for me at times. I checked out the Distillery district and was thoroughly let down. It was not nearly as large as I thought it would be and it seemed like everything there was closed. I checked out both the AGO and ROM on their free night and really enjoyed them both. I took the GO bus to Mississuaga and had a great time taking in the scenerey as well as photographing the Absolute towers. On my last night I took the subway to the Scarborough rt, during rush hour no less, for the *scenery*.I got the hell out of Scarborough as soon as I got there haha. FUCK the rt! It is nothing like the skytrain back home. I also went up the CN tower and tried to take pics but it was way too bright inside to really see anything let alone take any decent pics. Anyone know if the skypod is more dimly lit? I even had my tripod with me but any attempt at a decent photo was futile.My last night at the hostel was terrible. I woke up to drunk Aussies numerous times fighting and yelling outside my window, as well as banging on doors and screaming inside.I don't think I'm cut out for hostels.

Thanks again everybody for all the help. Hopefully I'll come back to Toronto in the summer.

FUCK the rt! It is nothing like the skytrain back home.

True dat.

The way the TTC uses ICTS technology would be like if your kid plays chopsticks on a Steinway piano or if you buy a computer with an Intel Core i7 processor and a state-of-the-art video card and use it to run Microsoft Word.

I was reminded of this the other day on the Skytrain when an accident at Nanaimo station blocked a track, but Translink took advantage of the automated system to reroute every train around the obstacle. It was slower than usual, but at least everybody got to stay on their train. The TTC approach would be to call for shuttle buses.

Last edited:
Thanks again everybody for all the help. Hopefully I'll come back to Toronto in the summer.

There are lots of events in the winter but you've got to be a hardly kind of person to be into that as Toronto can get pretty damn cold in January & February.
Toronto really shines in the summer, the list of things to do every weekend is truly mind boggling and plenty of the big events are free. Summer here is the extreme of winter, it can get pretty hot and humid but it's much more tolerable than January & February's cold (IMO).
Give us a second chance and see us in the summer when we're at our very best. Keep an eye on www.toronto.com come May and you'll get an idea of the crazy amount of things there are to do here in the summer. If you can, try to spend a few more days including a weekend. You'll be kept plenty busy!

There are lots of events in the winter but you've got to be a hardly kind of person to be into that as Toronto can get pretty damn cold in January & February.

Or in lieu of any Rideau Canal/Bonhomme-type major winter tourist draws, set one's bar more humbly re "events", i.e. watch the locals toboggan at Riverdale Park or whatever...

Back