8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

savevp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Vaughan has just released its official plan for until 2031 which is aimed at reducing sprawl and intensifying as well as creating more jobs. There is a very informative video full of renders.

Here is the link to the home page of Vaughan Tomorrow.

To me, this plan does start to contain the mindless sprawl but I still think that more can be done. Overall, a promising report on the future of Vaughan.

Wow, another masterplan similar to D-down Sauga, RHC and Markham Downtown! Looks like 905 is about to trump T.O. on planning development.

That would be amazing! (Albeit unlikely, but who knows?)

I think that suburban cities are starting to realize that urbanism and sustainable development are the ways to go, rather than mindless sprawl.

I like the planners who did this official plan (USI), but what I saw from this is more sprawl (55% of growth) plus two clusters of buildings around subway stations.

Some day I'd like to see an official plan that calls for the long-term transition of poorly designed cul-de-sac neighbourhoods into medium-density, mainstreet-oriented places. The trend seems to be to treat all existing single-family areas as sacred and cram the density into a select number of small pockets. Toronto's OP has the same general theme.

I think that suburban cities are starting to realize that urbanism and sustainable development are the ways to go, rather than mindless sprawl.

Go to Bathurst and Steeles, look around, travel north, and look around some more. Yes, that's Vaughan. At the same time, Toronto is building crescents and culs-de-sac nestled against the Rouge. These things aren't as black and white as you think they are.

It is interesting to note how the economic reports mention the ability to benefit from Toronto's uncompetitiveness. Plus the importance of the revenue (over expenses) that such development brings.

It is interesting to note how the economic reports mention the ability to benefit from Toronto's uncompetitiveness. Plus the importance of the revenue (over expenses) that such development brings.

Yea I noticed that as well ... does anyone on the Toronto side read these reports? Although Toronto can claim a competitive advantage in terms of residential property tax but at the end of the day people barely notice that - where people work typically trumps that.

Just another point regarding a few comments above ... people really do seem to forget the portland developments when claiming Toronto has no such similar plans, the plans for the waterfront are just as large if not larger then many of these other plans and is already underway.

Other then that, most of Toronto's plans call for intensification on main arteries, as there isn't large swaths of undeveloped areas. To me, the largest wasted opportunity is SCC, it has a lot of land left, yet there's been little in terms of planing (in recent years) or any incentive for growth - office development has all but ceased, also, the vacancy rates here are quite high compared to the rest of the GTA. We should have plans to intensify our own growth nodes.

Waterfront "megaproject" is falling off its course. With Miller defacing on what could have been similar to Post-War Renaissance, I'm afraid all the intelligent planners and architects would forsake T.O. in favour of much more concentrated plans like VMC.
T.O. doesn't really focus on intensifying its own major arteries (only Yonge and arteries below Eglinton are being intensified); aside from certain backwaters residing in T.O., everyone is crying out foul against Toronto for poor job in serving its residents.

Waterfront "megaproject" is falling off its course. With Miller defacing on what could have been similar to Post-War Renaissance, I'm afraid all the intelligent planners and architects would forsake T.O. in favour of much more concentrated plans like VMC.
T.O. doesn't really focus on intensifying its own major arteries (only Yonge and arteries below Eglinton are being intensified); aside from certain backwaters residing in T.O., everyone is crying out foul against Toronto for poor job in serving its residents.

This isn't true, Toronto has plans to intensify many arteries, Sheppard / Yonge North, Eglinton ... not sure about the rest.

And if 'With Miller defacing on what could have been similar to Post-War Renaissance' is in reference to the arena, that is one component of a huge project ... a project involving many levels of government and planing - these things take huge amounts of time. In any case this plan is already underway, comparing it to plans that just got written on paper is silly at best.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by more 'concentrated' plans either..

"crying out foul against Toronto for poor job in serving its residents" and who's everyone here? You and the media, people throughout the 905 feel the same way about their local governments.

This isn't true, Toronto has plans to intensify many arteries, Sheppard / Yonge North, Eglinton ... not sure about the rest.

Right, but not all of its stretch are fully intensified, or have signs of intensification outside the Yonge strip?. And only around Y/E? That's not large. So that's half true.

And if 'With Miller defacing on what could have been similar to Post-War Renaissance' is in reference to the arena, that is one component of a huge project ... a project involving many levels of government and planing - these things take huge amounts of time. In any case this plan is already underway, comparing it to plans that just got written on paper is silly at best.

Not saying that Waterfront is fault from its start, but have Miller not interfered with any pieces of the plan, it would have been much more successful than anticipated. I'm not blaming this for faulty plan as a whole. I'm blaming the Glorious Kim Jong-Miller for inane behaviour.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by more 'concentrated' plans either..

RHC? Port Credit? Markham downtown? or even MCC? These development project defines the rational use of space for intensification, as well as new developments, street grid network, conservation measurements...

"crying out foul against Toronto for poor job in serving its residents" and who's everyone here? You and the media, people throughout the 905 feel the same way about their local governments.

As much as I don't bother with media (gawd I haven't watched TV for weeks!), I do see T.O. needing to get itself straighten up from its past mistakes. Is there anything wrong with speaking out the facts? Oh and about 905, we could lean on the same learning curve as T.O. As for media, unfortunately, our sole news agency (The Mississauga News) pretty much has nothing interesting to write about Mississauga because there is barely anything going on! Just boring neighbourhood events, some kid won a school award for nothing too spectacular... So I have to visit T.O. to get anything interesting.

And how would 416 do well on its own without 905? I can't comment on that, but it's going to be mindboggling! Politics suck, but who else is gonna look after their city? Stay delusive about your city? That's some stellar thing you'd do for a city...

Because T.O. has too many criticisms, it has lots of opportunity to correct itself. But its politicos are beyond dumb to be corrected. And your so-called-nutjob Rob Ford of Toronto? Can't comment on that.

hbl33:

Right, but not all of its stretch are fully intensified, or have signs of intensification outside the Yonge strip?. And only around Y/E? That's not large. So that's half true.

Avenues proposals are cropping up left right and centre if you pay attention to project postings here on UT.

Not saying that Waterfront is fault from its start, but have Miller not interfered with any pieces of the plan, it would have been much more successful than anticipated. I'm not blaming this for faulty plan as a whole. I'm blaming the Glorious Kim Jong-Miller for inane behaviour.

Oh please, are you even familiar with the plans? Just how has Miller's supposed intervention wrecked it all? If you are talking about Corus - well, for all the lack of architectural flourish, the built form is exactly what the Precinct plan called for. As to the Hockey Pad proposal - there isn't a single buck flowing for the Lower Don Lands yet - and for all the huffing and puffing, it affects one corner of the entire district. How many of these pads surrounded by parking can we find in the 905?

RHC? Port Credit? Markham downtown? or even MCC? These development project defines the rational use of space for intensification, as well as new developments, street grid network, conservation measurements...

Each occupying what percentage of the municipalities they belong to? What of the rest of the said municipalities? And just how successful are these plans thus far when it comes to the ultimate policy goals of reducing gridlock and conservation? I mean, I live in Mississauga - for all the planning at MCC, just how many pedestrians have you seen walking around even on a good day? And for all the chest pounding, what is the modal split in Sauga...MCC or Port Credit even? Just saying.

AoD

Last edited:
It's definitely an improvement but it's worth noting that Vaughan is barely meeting the Places to Grow density targets.
Markham opted for 60% intensification, for example, while Vaughan is just a bit over the 40% minimum.

Still, it's progress.

Back