News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In some ways, I hope that they don't go too far with trying to make this into some lovely urban neighbourhood. They'd be well served by just building a giant office park, except that unlike Beaver Creek and Meadowvale, it would be built around a subway station. You'd obviously need to cluster the buildings a little closer together to keep them within reasonable walking distance, but many or most companies that would want to locate in Vaughan are probably not looking for streetfront towers.

I don't hold hope for a city council that located its city hall up in Maple when the first study came back and stated the obvious location of Vaughan Centre made sense. If you can't locate the municipal offices in the core you are supposedly in support of as a seeding of that development then you aren't to be taken seriously.

Not to mention it's new hospital...

Given the industrial areas and railway yards nearby, and the proximity of Jane & Finch, I have my doubts that "Vaughan Centre" will be terribly successful. Look at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard/Allen now to see what this area will probably look like 20 years from now. I expect we will see some low end condos that are much cheaper than other areas, some office park-type buildings (call centres etc.) and not much else. Vaughan would have been much better off upzoning the west side of Yonge St in Thornhill (and Markham doing the same thing on the east side) because this is actually a nice area.

Also Vaughan needs to drastically improve its bus service when the subway opens. YRT buses running every hour on Sunday and certain routes going on strike for 3.5 months is not acceptable and will result in the subway extension having low ridership. Every major bus route in York Region, like #4, #20, #85 and #88 for example, needs to have minimum 15 to 20 minute service at all times.

Given the industrial areas and railway yards nearby, and the proximity of Jane & Finch, I have my doubts that "Vaughan Centre" will be terribly successful. Look at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard/Allen now to see what this area will probably look like 20 years from now. I expect we will see some low end condos that are much cheaper than other areas, some office park-type buildings (call centres etc.) and not much else. Vaughan would have been much better off upzoning the west side of Yonge St in Thornhill (and Markham doing the same thing on the east side) because this is actually a nice area.

Also Vaughan needs to drastically improve its bus service when the subway opens. YRT buses running every hour on Sunday and certain routes going on strike for 3.5 months is not acceptable and will result in the subway extension having low ridership. Every major bus route in York Region, like #4, #20, #85 and #88 for example, needs to have minimum 15 to 20 minute service at all times.

thats a very bleak outlook for vcc. i dont think the proximity to j&f is going to hurt the area at all. first of all its too far away. secondly there are all sorts or examples in toronto where on one side of a street it is basically low income and then the other side extremely high income. i also disagree with what you are suggesting about building up closer to yonge. this area is going to be serviced by a subway. that in itself is priceless to the area. not only is it a subway but its a one stop ride to downtown, another feature better then the stc example you used. stc is also really in the middle of nowhere. bordering it would be pickering and ajax both places not doing so hot. however vaughan itself is doing incredible so is richmond hill and markham which you mention. vcc is located closer to the airport another asset. i love what mcc is trying to do around square one but it looks to me that vccc might be able to catch up. I will say the mall does help mcc though and i dont know what entertainment options there are going to be but the location itself to me is actually pretty dang good. if vcc got that second nhl team that would be something to build around.

All good points, sixrings. If there's anything that Vaughan knows how to do, it's get into bed with developers and build. I have every expectation that lots will get built in VCC, though it might not be beautiful.

All good points, sixrings. If there's anything that Vaughan knows how to do, it's get into bed with developers and build. I have every expectation that lots will get built in VCC, though it might not be beautiful.
They must be loving whats going on with Ford in toronto. Its taken the spot,light off them and all their corruption charges of the various councilors there.

The land in VCC won't offer the low land costs of businesses who want to be in a suburban office campus and won't offer the centralization benefits that justify the premium costs of land near near a subway.

Will there be some office development? Of course. 30 years from now will it look anything like the plans? I predict not.

Back