News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The funding is for the corridor fleet refurbishment and some station and trackage improvements. It won't do a hell of a lot, but it might, for example, speed up the slow sections of track between Georgetown and Kitchener, with modest signalling and track improvements, or help fix bottlenecks like the ones through Coteau, Smiths Falls, Brockville, Belleville and Oshawa (where there are freight yards and delays

The unpredictability of the delays at Smith Falls are the reason I fly to Ottawa twice a month instead of taking the train. That, and for a long time Air Canada has been selling seats for $59 + airport fees (roughly $180 for a round trip).

Takes about the same amount of time to get to Pearson and fly but the flights are very predictable, often arriving within 5 minutes of the estimated time. Trains have been late by hours.

Heck, took a train from Montreal to Ottawa that was 30 minutes late. It's scheduled for just under 2 hours.

No one takes VIA Rail because it's both unreliable and incredibly expensive. Why take the train when taking a plane is less than 25% more and takes an eighth of the time?

VIA's passenger load is growing at 8% and cost recovery is way up. Toronto-Montreal return is currently $125.08 with taxes included and goes downtown to downtown in just over 4 hours. The cheapest Porter flight, the best scenario Toronto to Montreal due to the downtown Toronto location and price is $290.93 with taxes included, doesn't get you to downtown Montreal so you will need to pay for a cab and makes the trip in 1:10 which doesn't include the extra travel time to downtown by cab in Montreal, the Porter bus, the ferry, and the need to be at the airport in advance to clear security. I would estimate that the average total time downtown to downtown would work out to be 4:30 for VIA and 2:30 for Porter. So the real comparison is 2 hours less for more than 132% more (considering the cab will need to be paid).

Amtrak is also unreliable, but at least their fares are reasonable, even through relatively unpopulated areas.

Amtrak in most areas provides far worse service than VIA.

Did you know that it costs $213 to take the train from Toronto to Los Angeles but $517 from Toronto to Vancouver?

These are tourist routes and the scenery and quality of service is far greater on VIA. Most people don't take "The Canadian" as a form of transportation but rather take it as a vacation.

I'm sorry, even if I had an extra 4 days on my trip to look at scenery, I'm still going to take WestJet instead.

It isn't comparable. You may not like the Canada by rail experience but many do. People come from around the world to ride "The Canadian" or the "Rocky Mountaineer" to see the landscapes of Canada and pay top dollar to get private suites, dome car views, and first class meals on those trains.

VIA services outside the corridor are for tourists and remote communities. Outside the corridor populated cities are too far apart for the train, except for a possible Calgary-Edmonton run, to make any sense as a real form of transportation so outside the corridor VIA sells "an experience". Most of the additional funding promised will end up spent in the corridor because that is where the bulk of the passengers, trains, and ability to be a real mode of transportation exists.

In a way it is unfortunate that VIA Rail's corridor services aren't a joint venture between Quebec and Ontario because reading responses to this announcement in western Canada you hear how VIA is a waste of money and how Regina, Thunder Bay, Calgary, Kelowna, etc aren't on the network and how slow the service is travelling 1000+ km compared to the plane. Even if we had Japan or France's high speed rail it would only be competitive with the airplane in the Windsor-Quebec corridor and between Edmonton and Calgary so discussions about how long a train takes between Toronto and Vancouver and whether or not Regina or Thunder Bay have rail service is pointless.

Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone ever taken the train to NYC?
Is the whole trip on a VIA train or Amtrak train? Do you switch trains? Where do you switch? How is the border crossing done?

The whole trip is on Amtrak equipment. There is a a long hold at the border and the customs officers boarded the train when I took it pre 9/11. Not sure what they do now considering many would need access to the computer for finger-printing, retina-scanning, passport-swiping, bending-over, etc.

For Toronto to NYC they should do customs at the train station.

As for Toronto to Montreal, the ride is not that bad, and is certainly cheaper than flying (I'm going to Montreal this month so I know all about the fares). The cheapest VIA fare is $59 one way, so $118 plus tax roundtrip. No airline can match that. Sure the corridor could use improvements for sure: more trains, faster service, cheaper fares. But it's not that bad as is. Can't speak for the other routes though.

The whole trip is on Amtrak equipment. There is a a long hold at the border and the customs officers boarded the train when I took it pre 9/11. Not sure what they do now considering many would need access to the computer for finger-printing, retina-scanning, passport-swiping, bending-over, etc.

There's an hour built into the schedule to accommodate the border crossing, but its often not enough time.

Last time I took the Maple Leaf, it was about 60 minutes late arriving at St. Catharines and 90 minutes late arriving at Union Station. The St. Catharines station agent kept us well informed, even letting us call long distance using the station's phone. She said it cleared customs in under 30 minutes that night - the fastest she had ever seen it. Considering that the trip takes the better part of a day, 90 minutes is nothing.

So with all this talk of VIA rail to Hamilton and this funding might Hamilton finally get a VIA station?

Over 4 hours between T.O. and Montreal is lousy. Make it less than 3 hours and weekend train trips between these cities is no longer so onerous. Ottawa should also be part of the loop.

If I could get to Montreal in 3 hours or less, I'd definitely go there far more often.

If I could go to Ottawa in three hours or less I'd go more often.

Geez, I do have to go often.

Every day Porter looks better and better.

Via's corridor service should use 1 train between Windsor And Quebec City instead instead of requiring transfers at Toronto and Montreal

Did you know that it costs $213 to take the train from Toronto to Los Angeles but $517 from Toronto to Vancouver?

Such a train trip is impossible now since the International is cancelled.

Via's corridor service should use 1 train between Windsor And Quebec City instead instead of requiring transfers at Toronto and Montreal

The problem is that it would be even harder to maintain a reliable schedule. Many of the trains do continue through Toronto and Montreal, but they have to build at least 30 minutes of padding into the schedule to maintain some semblance of reliability.

Such a train trip is impossible now since the International is cancelled.

I suppose you could somehow go through New York, or take a cab across at Windsor or Port Huron.

High-speed rail studied to death, time for decision: Via Rail report
Dean Beeby, THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - The benefits of high-speed rail service in the Toronto-Montreal corridor have been demonstrated repeatedly and it's time to stop studying the concept and make some decisions, says a new report for Via Rail.

"The merits of high-speed passenger rail have been clearly established," says the report, obtained under the Access to Information Act.

"The question is not to ask whether it is worth government support, but rather where it stands with respect to competing mega-projects on the priority list of decision makers. More studies are of no use in this regard."

The Aug. 14 report was prepared by a consulting engineer for Via Rail's board of directors as they revisit the issue of a high-speed rail link connecting Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

The document reviews seven major studies since 1984 that examined the feasibility of building the link, at a cost ranging up to $11.1 billion. It also reports on a 2004 study looking at a similar link between Calgary and Edmonton, estimated to cost $3.4 billion.

The analysis, by Andre Gravelle of the firm UMA Engineering Ltd., notes that every Canadian study to date has concluded that significant government investment is required to build the infrastructure for high-speed rail, as has been the case in other such projects in Japan, France and elsewhere.

"These studies have also indicated that, like roads and airports, public investment is required to finance the construction of the required infrastructure."

But once the link between Montreal and Toronto is built, passenger volumes are forecast to be high enough to turn a profit for any firm operating the service.

Gravelle cites one 1991 study that indicated almost a third of high-speed rail passengers would be snatched from the airlines, and suggests the airline industry helped kill the proposal.

"The results of this study created considerable concern among the airlines, given the huge public investment required to implement high-speed rail.

"It is believed that the ensuing lobby was a major factor in the lack of support for follow-up action on HSR (high-speed rail) proposals."

The report also generally faults the "Canadian bureaucracy, suspicious of demand and revenue forecasts" for allowing high-speed rail proposals to wither on the vine.

A spokesman for Via Rail said the report was ordered by the board because many of them are new to the job and want to be briefed on issues facing the Crown corporation.

"Via's board of directors is to a large degree newly constituted and has, quite naturally, been going through the process of familiarizing themselves with Via's history, current performance and prospects," said Malcolm Andrews, head of corporate communications.

He cautioned that Gravelle's report does not necessarily reflect the views of the corporation, and "any opinions expressed therein are his own."

Last week, the federal government announced it would spend $692 million on Via Rail over five years to help rebuild crumbling infrastructure. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said the new money would, among other things, help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by getting people out of their cars.

The corporation receives about $170 million each year to subsidize the travel of its 4.1 million passengers.

The announcement at Toronto's Union Station last Thursday drew immediate fire from the Canadian Airports Council, which said the rail sector should not be getting subsidies while the airline industry struggles with high costs and taxation.

"Canada's 100 million air travellers a year will pay nearly $300 million in rent this year while the government pours nearly $700 million to benefit Via Rail's 4.1 million passengers," said council president Jim Facette.

"This is a double standard that clearly must end."

The UMA report on high-speed rail is among the first internal documents released by Via Rail since the Crown corporation became subject to the Access to Information Act on Sept. 1.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/071014/n101454A.html

Why am I not surprised that the airlines are pushing hard to block any attempt to set up high speed rail? Its the classic signs of an industry with no real business plan - instead of use quality service and value for money to have an edge over their competition, they lobby, sue and use hostile takeovers to block anyone else from entering the industry. Reminds me of the tele-communications industry...

Back