News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is anybody aware of which trains currently consistently run with venture sets from Toronto to Montreal?
None, as this (#63/Thu-2023-09-21) has so far been the only revenue service sighting on anything else than QMO services:

Last edited:
If the existing rail lines connecting the cities were used and the service was at least once a day each way, and the tracks were maintained so that the speed was reasonable, it could be successful. Problem is, there really is no political will.

Can you give us your definition of "successful?" While the service doesn't need to be profitable, if it achieves significantly less than a 50% fare recovery ratio on operating costs, it isn't successful IMHO (assuming all the communities served have road access).

Simple things like an overnight train between Toronto and Montreal would be nice.

It might be nice, but it would mean cutting one of the daytime trains in each direction, as there is limited capacity on the Kingston Sub. Given the choice, the daytime trains are likely utilized by more people (a sleeping car has about 1/2 the capacity of a business coach and 1/3 the capacity of an economy coach).

Can you give us your definition of "successful?" While the service doesn't need to be profitable, if it achieves significantly less than a 50% fare recovery ratio on operating costs, it isn't successful IMHO (assuming all the communities served have road access).

City pairs such as:
Moncton - Halifax
Sudbury - Toronto
Thunder Bay - Winnipeg
Regina - Saskatoon
Calgary - Edmonton

Driving distances are all under 4 hours except for Thunder Bay - Winnipeg and they all have a major city,if not both in their region.
Using the shortest 3 car Venture trains.

It might be nice, but it would mean cutting one of the daytime trains in each direction, as there is limited capacity on the Kingston Sub. Given the choice, the daytime trains are likely utilized by more people (a sleeping car has about 1/2 the capacity of a business coach and 1/3 the capacity of an economy coach).
The good thing about these trains is they can be 8-12 hours travel time without it being an issue. So, let it hit every siding and fit in between existing traffic. This is a train that could be slow and be successful. Get on at 9 pm and get off at 6 am. Charge a premium for it.

Can you give us your definition of "successful?"

City pairs such as:
Moncton - Halifax
Sudbury - Toronto
Thunder Bay - Winnipeg
Regina - Saskatoon
Calgary - Edmonton

Driving distances are all under 4 hours except for Thunder Bay - Winnipeg and they all have a major city,if not both in their region.
Using the shortest 3 car Venture trains.
Why can’t you just answer a simple question? You were asked to provide your definition of “successful” (e.g., in commercial or economic terms), not what city pairs you believe would satisfy that definition…

Last edited:
None, as this (#63/Thu-2023-09-21) has so far been the only revenue service sighting on anything else than QMO services:
read the article... funny and sad that one of the comments praised the fact that the train was "only" 17min late.... what a low bar set for service standards.

Why can’t you just answer a simple question? You were asked to provide your definition of “successful” (e.g., in commercial or economic terms), not what city pairs you believe would satisfy that definition…
My definition of success is that for most of the route, the rolling stock they choose is 90% full or better.

By that extreme definition, virtually the entire passenger rail network in this country (or in fact: on this planet) is a failure and should be closed…
Not just the railways. With that threshold Air Canada and WestJet are also failures for most of their routes, and when you eliminate those "poor" performing routes the "successful" routes would immediately become "poor" performing too (missing connections).

I'd guess BC Ferries doesn't reach that threshold either.

And of course there are no roadways that operate at 90% capacity for 90% of the day.

Last edited:
Not just the railways. Air Canada and WestJet are also failures for most of their routes, and when you eliminate those "poor" performing routes the "successful" routes would immediately become "poor" performing too (missing connections).
So, if we accept that the existing routes cannot be "successful", maybe it is time to stop having artificial requirements for something. Maybe it is time to stop looking at the bottom line as the metric for success. All those routes I listed, notice how I am not suggesting silly things like HSR? As much as I think that it would be nice to do those trips in under2hours for the longest ones, it is hard to justify that kind of spending, but a3car train running once a day both ways everyday, that will always make sense to me. That is because I don't look at the funding, but instead look at the freedom it brings. Why can people in Toronto be care free and not feel like a prisoner, but most other major cities you would? It is the non personal vehicle transportation that somewhere like Toronto has that makes it so easy to be carless.

So, if we accept that the existing routes cannot be "successful", maybe it is time to stop having artificial requirements for something. Maybe it is time to stop looking at the bottom line as the metric for success. All those routes I listed, notice how I am not suggesting silly things like HSR? As much as I think that it would be nice to do those trips in under2hours for the longest ones, it is hard to justify that kind of spending, but a3car train running once a day both ways everyday, that will always make sense to me. That is because I don't look at the funding, but instead look at the freedom it brings. Why can people in Toronto be care free and not feel like a prisoner, but most other major cities you would? It is the non personal vehicle transportation that somewhere like Toronto has that makes it so easy to be carless.
Just because you can‘t come up with a definition of the word „successful“ which helps us distinguish between popular & highly profitable services on one side and those which are spectacular money-losers running mostly empty on the other side (and maybe some gradations inbetween, because not everything is black and white), doesn’t mean that we should completely ignore any commercial or economic/fiscal indicators and just run services according to some arbitrary „minimum service standards by population size“ tables…

Last edited:
Not just the railways. Air Canada and WestJet are also failures for most of their routes, and when you eliminate those "poor" performing routes the "successful" routes would immediately become "poor" performing too (missing connections).

I'd guess BC Ferries doesn't reach that threshold either.

And of course there are no roadways that operate at 90% capacity for 90% of the day.
When you are a publicly-traded, for-profit industry, the metrics change. I would imagine the airline's profitable routes, at least between larger centres, would do just fine w/o the feeders. Besides, routes can come and go at the whim of the boardroom. I imagine all transportation providers use varying profitability to balance their routes.

If I recall, some of AC's domestic short routes were reinstated only as a condition of getting government funding post-Covid lockdown.

Here in North Bay we used to have four flights to Toronto, then none, then one after government subsidy and now two. The old early morning flight was popular since you could meet early/mid morning connections. Now, their midday and evening flights line up with pretty much nothing unless you are taking an evening overseas flight. I'm convinced they are planning to report consistent poor usage so they can justify going back to the government and cutting them.

Currently, how many train sets are needed to run existing Corridor service? Via has ordered 32 train sets. Will that be enough to completely replace all existing Corridor trains?

Currently, how many train sets are needed to run existing Corridor service?
VIA currently needs 26 trainsets to operate its Corridor services:
Screenshot_20230925-151940.png

Via has ordered 32 train sets. Will that be enough to completely replace all existing Corridor trains?
26 trainsets plus 2 guards (one in Montreal and one in Toronto) equals 28 trainsets. Add a maintenance allowance of 10% and you have a base requirement of 31 trainsets…

VIA currently needs 26 trainsets to operate its Corridor services:
View attachment 512675

26 trainsets plus 2 guards (one in Montreal and one in Toronto) equals 28 trainsets. Add a maintenance allowance of 10% and you have a base requirement of 31 trainsets…
Given that the 5-7car LRC sets include 1 HEP coach, they are limited to 95 mph. The 4-car trains are presumably the ones hauled by the less-powerful F40PH locomotives, in which case they are also limited to 95 mph.

So the only trains in the current rotation which can reach the 100 mph speed limit are the 2 Venture sets and the 2 Renaissance sets.

Back