News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The plan involves a preclearance facility in Windsor, where passengers would clear customs and immigration while switching trains. The experience would resemble that on Amtrak’s Cascades, not the Maple Leaf (which is a lot worse than the Adirondack)…
Cascades is a bit different, no? There are no intermediate stops between the US border and Vancouver, just as the St Lambert stop will be deleted from Adirondack if one day the clearance facility ever opens at Montreal Central.

My suggestion is that if Amtrak absolutely insist on running their equipment to Toronto, that they do so over as an Amtrak crewed non-stop from Windsor, routed over CP from Chatham to Toronto Union via a curve at the diamond west of Chatham itself, and anyone who needs to stop anywhere else are booked on a separate VIA service over the current route. (Edit to add further specificity - my notion would be that Windsor-Toronto only or Toronto-Windsor would not be a valid ticketing option on the Amtrak service)

Cascades is a bit different, no? There are no intermediate stops between the US border and Vancouver, just as the St Lambert stop will be deleted from Adirondack if one day the clearance facility ever opens at Montreal Central.

My suggestion is that if Amtrak absolutely insist on running their equipment to Toronto, that they do so over as an Amtrak crewed non-stop from Windsor, routed over CP from Chatham to Toronto Union via a curve at the diamond west of Chatham itself, and anyone who needs to stop anywhere else are booked on a separate VIA service over the current route. (Edit to add further specificity - my notion would be that Windsor-Toronto only or Toronto-Windsor would not be a valid ticketing option on the Amtrak service)
To the best of my knowledge, there is no intention to create a direct Toronto-Chicago train, just to run a Chicago-Detroit-Windsor train, which would connect with a VIA train…

To the best of my knowledge, there is no intention to create a direct Toronto-Chicago train, just to run a Chicago-Detroit-Windsor train, which would connect with a VIA train…

The little train overlapping Kitchener has a label "Chicago-Detroit-Toronto". Now that can be delivered in different ways, but...
https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/maps/

1721060807865.png

Back