News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I really like this suggestion, my one comment would be: politically imposed mandate aside, I wonder what would the cost of the westernmost segment of your Toronto-Peterboro-Bonarlaw-Bellevilleish rehab and new construction scope be versus just twinning the CN line along the Lakeshore from Oshawa to Belleville, at either HFR or HSR spec, and how would travel times compare ?
The argument against any Lakeshore alignment is less an economic/fiscal (construction costs) than a commercial one: Once TM and OM Express trains pass through Belleville and Cobourg, these cities will demand to also have a stop of these trains (which might have to be alternatingly, to minimize the travel time penalty), thus depriving the Local services of most of their ridership to the point that they become unviable apart from the token peak train. Even worse, these stations would need to be outside the established city cores, thus pushing all Lakeshore stops north of the 401 (to minimize the travel times of the Express trains and to avoid operating multiple stations in Belleville and Cobourg). And finally, the political pressure would persist to provide Peterborough with passenger rail, which is unviable as a dedicated service.

In short, I don’t believe it would be desirable (even for the Lakeshore communities themselves, as it undermines intra-regional connectivity) to run HxR along the Lakeshore. For all the agnosticism about outright questionable ideas like an Ottawa Bypass or a Montreal downtown-outside-of-downtown station, it is laudable that VIA HFR-TGF stands their ground with insisting on serving Peterborough and Trois-Rivières…

Last edited:
In short, I don’t believe it would be desirable (even for the Lakeshore communities themselves, as it undermines intra-regional connectivity) to run HxR along the Lakeshore. For all the agnosticism about outright questionable ideas like an Ottawa Bypass or a Montreal downtown-outside-of-downtown station, it is laudable that VIA HFR-TGF stands their ground with insisting on serving Peterborough and Trois-Rivières…

Almost certainly we will need both eventually.
I haven't done any systematic research, but as a casual rider it was apparent to me that there are plenty of secondary stations along the TGV routes that see some lesser level of service while the express trains fly through. And SCNF clearly made business decisions about where and how often to schedue or skip stops. (Avignon would be an example that might parallel a Kingston station plan). I suppose VIA could do likewise, but for the Lakeshore, I would agree that the end goal should be the capability for more than that seccondary frequency of service.....so keeping HxR invisible on a more northern route and figuring out how to serve Oshawa-Kingston communities well as an appropriately-frequent and separate operation makes sense.
It was revealing to see how the Transport Committee did acknowledge, and express concern over, the future of the local service along the Corridor. I felt good about that commentary. And about how they wanted the entire JPO reporting released, without redaction. Committee reports don't always move mountains, but this one was a more thorough and informed treatment than some I have seen.

- Paul

Article from Trains posted today. Peloquin says VIA is prepared to restart service on Quebec’s Gaspe Peninsula only when the entire line is rebuilt to a state of good repair all the way to Gaspe, “if we can offer a reasonable trip time. Operating a shortened service [to New Carlisle, Que., where tracks are intact] creates logistical problems because we can’t turn the train.”
So, VIA returning to Gaspe or not?

VIA has to do something with their Union Station departures board. It’s always malfunctioning or broken.

1A8314DB-FBFF-4ECE-836A-46B94D2B1B77.jpeg

So, VIA returning to Gaspe or not?

By the sounds of it, the service will return when the line is restored all the way to Gaspe, which is largely dependent on provincial funding (and some federal funding). Some locals want it to start earlier on existing improved track but it sounds like VIA is holding firm.

By the sounds of it, the service will return when the line is restored all the way to Gaspe, which is largely dependent on provincial funding (and some federal funding).
This has been VIA’s position for the last 5 years or so: VIA will return when it is able to offer a similar schedule to when it last served Gaspé in 2013(?)…

VIA has to do something with their Union Station departures board. It’s always malfunctioning or broken.

View attachment 598084
The plan for a long time was to take this tourist booth and consistently broken info screen down and replace it with a replica of the original centrepiece the Great Hall used to have, that unfortunately hasn’t happened yet:
IMG_1693.jpeg

The plan for a long time was to take this tourist booth and consistently broken info screen down and replace it with a replica of the original centrepiece the Great Hall used to have, that unfortunately hasn’t happened yet:View attachment 598127
I'm pretty this has fallen wayside. Considering that they (City of Toronto) couldn't even get the Grand Chandelier bid and project up and going.

I'm pretty this has fallen wayside. Considering that they (City of Toronto) couldn't even get the Grand Chandelier bid and project up and going.
I am told the upgraded Great Hall lighting project is NOT dead - though there is no date for it to happen. Have not heard anything about relocating the Info Booth recently but it MAY happen when they finish the floor tiling - also not dead but not scheduled.

In addition, it's the legacy routes between Kingston and London that could most profit from a connection to Pearson, not the HFR.
Guys don't worry, when the liberals loose the next election, the conservative government will 1000% cancel the entire project.
The only savings grace would be another minority liberal government with some other party backing them. Bloc? Pierre doesn't seem to have many friends in parliament these days....

I am told the upgraded Great Hall lighting project is NOT dead - though there is no date for it to happen. Have not heard anything about relocating the Info Booth recently but it MAY happen when they finish the floor tiling - also not dead but not scheduled.
To get some 50' TV 's would be a $4000 project. Too much to ask?

Guys don't worry, when the liberals loose the next election, the conservative government will 1000% cancel the entire project.
Based on nothing ese than your gut feeling, I assume - or do you have anything remotely recent which would suggest that PP and his Conservatives oppose HFR? If they were really going to nix HFR with the (by then hopefully) signed contracts, they would be pressed to answer why they never publicly opposed the project while they were still in opposition and they are normally not exactly shy to voice their many grievances (#CBC). I’d assume they’ll happily take credit for investing in infrastructure while blaming the pricetag and any delays on Trudeau…

Back