News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There....

- Paul

Edit: the red line at the left is not in exactly the right spot, but you get the idea. The tunnel is just a bit further to the left.

Last edited:
Edit: the red line at the left is not in exactly the right spot, but you get the idea. The tunnel is just a bit further to the left.
Oh my! I never realized it was anything like that. Or the VIA station was not right downtown near the tunnel. Thanks!

So where was this old station they want to reactivate? Presumably somewhere near that CP yard near the tunnel? Or is at the "Essex Terminal".

Bit of an aside but I am still miffed that VIA didnt purchase the GEXR line from Kitchener to London. It could have easily been a Toronto -> Kitchener -> London HFR route, with some service upgrades.

I realize the line from Toronto to Kitchener (except the portion owned by CN) is Metrolinx, but they seem more accommodating to VIA than the freights. Could even have been a federal/provincial partnership to do upgrades on the Georgetown-Kitchener segment.

Perhaps would also add another motivation to the "Missing Link". Getting federal involvement in the Missing Link would certainly help.

Minister Garneau announces appointments at VIA Rail Canada Français

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Transport Canada
Mar 29, 2019, 10:00 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

OTTAWA, March 29, 2019 /CNW/ - The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today announced the following appointments to VIA Rail Canada:
I'm not sure what the implications of this are. I just got a hurried text heads-up from a friend.

Minister Garneau announces appointments at VIA Rail Canada Français

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Transport Canada
Mar 29, 2019, 10:00 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

OTTAWA, March 29, 2019 /CNW/ - The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today announced the following appointments to VIA Rail Canada:
I'm not sure what the implications of this are. I just got a hurried text heads-up from a friend.
Probably bad news for HFR. A lawyer with an aerospace background is quite the oddity to head VIA Rail.

Probably bad news for HFR. A lawyer with an aerospace background is quite the oddity to head VIA Rail.

She's from the manufacturing end of aerospace and very few Bell helicopter customers compete with VIA.

Considering HFR would be VIAs biggest project ever, having someone with strong contract negotiation skills at the helm would be more helpful than harmful to having HFR turn out. The last major VIA track project certainly didn't turn out very well; CN rolled right over them (took all the money and provided almost zero benefit).

I am sorry to see D-S leave. I don’t know if it is normal or mandatory that CEO contracts are not renewed, or perhaps he chose to move on to other things. He certainly moved VIA forward in some important ways.
Let’s hope the new CEO is equally ambitious.
- Paul

^ I'm curious to know if D-S is bound to a 'non-compete' clause, because if he isn't, I can see him being scooped up by Big Rail to build HFR privately. The business case is there. And he could manifest his concept far better without having to cater to the mandate fetters of VIA, concentrate purely on the business aspect of HFR.

This could actually be very good indeed for HFR. In practice, it's highly probable that such an endeavour would work with VIA than compete with them. The project would provide the RoW, infrastructure etc, and lease overhead use to VIA and others, VIA being the senior tenant with first choice on pathings. (Others would be GO, RTM, express freight providers, etc)

Last edited:
This is the kind of dumb BS that has me trusting the Liberals less on this file:

It's really looking like they aren't serious about HFR at all.

This is the kind of dumb BS that has me trusting the Liberals less on this file:

F***ing kill me.

Happy April Fools Day!! ?

Back