News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

See now, I get where you are going with this post, but was there any possible way you could have talked about this without being rude and making accusations of clickbait and fanboyisms?

I assume the usual BNBR policy applies on UrbanToronto, right?
Thank you very much, I truly appreciate your honest feedback and the answer to both of your questions is “Yes, of course!”, which is why I have removed the entire passage, so that it doesn’t cause more unnecessary offence or upset to anyone. I really have to go back to bed, but I will reflect on my original comments over this weekend...

Have a good night/morning!

Last edited:
Longer travel times? Even if you ignore the projected travel times, VIA's route with by far the largest ridership (Ottawa-Toronto) will have a far more direct route, dropping from the current 446 km to an estimated 404 km.
I was referring to Montreal-Toronto. That VIA has could have higher ridership on the Ottawa-Toronto route, despite the greater demand (for all modes) from Montreal-Toronto says everything!

That being said, I haven't worked with VIA's travel demand model since the 1980s. Are there any recent documents with the demands and modal splits for the pairs?

Though that does raise a(n unlikely) prospect of building both. One for Peterborough-Ottawa service and the other for Kingston-Montreal service.

I was referring to Montreal-Toronto. That VIA has could have higher ridership on the Ottawa-Toronto route, despite the greater demand (for all modes) from Montreal-Toronto says everything!

As I said, it tells me that there is better synergy for organ-destination travel between Ottawa-Toronto than there is for Montreal-Toronto for the type of person who uses VIA Rail.

One of the big reasons for this is that Ottawa and Toronto are in the same province. For example, provincial government workers are much more likely to do intra-provincial travel than inter-provincial travel and students are more likely to attend a university in their own province than in another province. Ottawa, as the nation's capital, similarly creates demand that doesn't apply to Montreal-Toronto. .

You can't use the number of flights as an indicator of potential demand, as many are connecting to another destination.

You can't use the number of flights as an indicator of potential demand, as many are connecting to another destination.
Flights? The modal shift leaned towards cars the last time I looked at the data (I haven't digested the EcoTrain study yet). And in-depth origin-destination studies includes factors such as trip-purpose, age, demographics, etc. What I kept thinking they should add to the model is language - as the stuff I saw always seemed to have more troubles with stuff like Quebec City to Toronto and even Quebec City to Ottawa, where the models suggested that demand should be higher than it was.

The biggest oddity I recall was the Belleville - Jonquiere data. Which I guess was military (personal or camp followers I don't know) between CFB Trenton and CFB Bagotville.

It also speaks to how ridiculously fixated a lot of folks are. To the extent that they think that nothing else but Toronto-Montreal matters. HFR substantially improves Toronto-Ottawa, Montreal-Ottawa and Montreal-Quebec. One could argue that it improves Ottawa and Toronto to Quebec City too. The only routing that benefits less is Toronto-Montreal. It's rather myopic to dismiss HFR on those grounds.

I try to be as positive as possible about the project when I discuss it. It would be a big quality of life improvement for a lot of people I know (and myself). I hope you all do the same!
Also, call your MPs and the Minister of Transport :)

Every time the Liberals call me to ask for money I bring up HFR, and invariably the person on the phone hasn't heard of it but asks me a few questions while taking notes to pass up the chain. I don't imagine it goes anywhere, but it feels good to at least tell them that it's something I care about.

Flights? The modal shift leaned towards cars the last time I looked at the data (I haven't digested the EcoTrain study yet). And in-depth origin-destination studies includes factors such as trip-purpose, age, demographics, etc. What I kept thinking they should add to the model is language - as the stuff I saw always seemed to have more troubles with stuff like Quebec City to Toronto and even Quebec City to Ottawa, where the models suggested that demand should be higher than it was.

The biggest oddity I recall was the Belleville - Jonquiere data. Which I guess was military (personal or camp followers I don't know) between CFB Trenton and CFB Bagotville.

I agree with you that the the vast majority of those traveling along the TOM corridor do so by car. I only brought up flights proactively counter the argument that there are more Toronto-Montreal flights than Toronto-Ottawa flights so demand must be higher, I also haven't had a close look at the EchoTrain study, but I do know that a few years after it, VIA started to boost the frequency of service on the Ottawa-Montreal corridor. 🤷‍♂️

Though that does raise a(n unlikely) prospect of building both. One for Peterborough-Ottawa service and the other for Kingston-Montreal service.

As completely different routes, I can't see that ever happening, but if you look at the shortest practical route between Toronto and Montreal (while skirting around Lake Ontario or the St. Laurence river), plus connections to Ottawa and Kingston, you get something like this:
TOM Lines.png

Overlaying that with the HFR options and track VIA owns, you get this:
TOM Lines+HFR.png

As you can see, other than the diversion to Ottawa, the route isn't that far off of the shortest practical route.

Eventually, if/when demand gets to the point where they can decouple the Toronto-Montreal trains from the Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal trains (without loosing frequency), they could build a shortcut. This would allow most of the track to be shared. This would not be desirable from day 1 though, as coupling the three routes creates a huge boost in frequency (the F in HFR).

I agree with you that the the vast majority of those traveling along the TOM corridor do so by car. I only brought up flights proactively counter the argument that there are more Toronto-Montreal flights than Toronto-Ottawa flights so demand must be higher, I also haven't had a close look at the EchoTrain study, but I do know that a few years after it, VIA started to boost the frequency of service on the Ottawa-Montreal corridor. 🤷‍♂️

As completely different routes, I can't see that ever happening, but if you look at the shortest practical route between Toronto and Montreal (while skirting around Lake Ontario or the St. Laurence river), plus connections to Ottawa and Kingston, you get something like this:
View attachment 302610

Overlaying that with the HFR options and track VIA owns, you get this:
View attachment 302611

As you can see, other than the diversion to Ottawa, the route isn't that far off of the shortest practical route.

Eventually, if/when demand gets to the point where they can decouple the Toronto-Montreal trains from the Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal trains (without loosing frequency), they could build a shortcut. This would allow most of the track to be shared. This would not be desirable from day 1 though, as coupling the three routes creates a huge boost in frequency (the F in HFR).
Yeah, the Winchester Sub can be the shortcut east of Smiths Falls. I think it was discussed in this thread at some point last year.

Yeah, the Winchester Sub can be the shortcut east of Smiths Falls. I think it was discussed in this thread at some point last year.
Indeed, in July 2020, see my Post #7030:
[...]

If we now take the assumed hourly HFR service and deviate half of the services over the Bypass around Ottawa, our travel time between Toronto and Montreal decreases by the 15 minutes suggested by @innsertnamehere, which may increase of the passenger volume between of 5.1%. However, the resulting doubling of the headway offered between Toronto&Ottawa and between Ottawa&Montreal, may decrease the passenger volumes of these markets by 8.6% and 13.1%, respectively, thus resulting in an overall drop of passenger volume by 4.3%:
1593913365175-png.255633

Now, one might argue that the Express trains should be offered in addition to hourly service, but since that extra train could just as well operate via Ottawa (thus doubling the frequency offered for all three markets), we have to compare this scenario with half-hourly service on the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor and this results very similar results, with bypassing Ottawa for a 15 minute travel time saving may increase passenger volume between Toronto and Montreal by 4.9%, but may decrease that between Toronto&Ottawa and between Ottawa&Montreal by 4.4% and 6.6%, respectively, thus resulting in an overall drop of passenger volume by 1.4%:
1593913402912-png.255634

[...]

And all of the above is without considering that adding the Ottawa bypass adds 146 km (From De Beaujeu to Smiths Falls via CP's Winchester Sub) to the HFR network length (ignoring the Montreal-Quebec branch), thus increasing the length of ROW to be built or upgraded (which is a major cost driver for capital costs) by one-quarter and that adding an hourly Express train to hourly Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trains would almost double train-mileage (which is a major cost driver for operating costs):
1593892449649-png.255603

[...]

I honestly don’t know what the business case for having any Montreal-Toronto Express trains bypass Ottawa via the Winchester Sub is supposed to be, as it would significantly increase capital (25% more route-km to upgrade) and operating costs (94% more train-miles) for an insignificant increase of ridership (3.3%, according to my GJT model)...

Last edited:
Eventually, if/when demand gets to the point where they can decouple the Toronto-Montreal trains from the Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal trains (without loosing frequency), they could build a shortcut.

Honestly, the kind of ridership to justify that is beyond several lifetimes. The multiplier effects of connecting the three large metros is huge. And those effects grow as HFR is extended westward to Pearson, Kitchener and London.

The Lakeshore traffic will have to stand on its own after HFR. And do so for further investment too. The Kingston hub will be plenty of capacity for decades to come.

I honestly don’t know what the business case for having any Montreal-Toronto Express trains bypass Ottawa via the Winchester Sub is supposed to be, as it would significantly increase capital (25% more route-km to upgrade) and operating costs (94% more train-miles) for an insignificant increase of ridership (3.3%, according to my GJT model)...
Not a big surprise, as (according to your post) it only reduced Montreal-Toronto travel times from 4.75 hours to 4.5 hours.

But what if they were to instead build VIAFast from Toronto to Montreal, which VIA said would reduce the travel time to 3.5 hours? And also service Kingston-Toronto, which according to the Ecotrains survey has as much demand as Quebec-Ottawa.

What would a proposal like ViaFast cost today? And post HFR how would that compare with just upgrading HFR on ridership and costs?

My bet is that any detailed study today would show ViaFast as something like $15B today. There was far less population and less freight traffic 20 years ago. VIaFast also didn't require electrification and wasn't planning on operating in an era of $130/tonne (or higher) carbon taxes.

Post-HFR, I suspect the logical choice will be progressive upgrading of HFR towards HSR standards. The Lakeshore Corridor will have enough capacity leftover from all the past investment to last lifetimes.

Post-HFR, I suspect the logical choice will be progressive upgrading of HFR towards HSR standards. The Lakeshore Corridor will have enough capacity leftover from all the past investment to last lifetimes.
That is what I like about HFR... it is a first step on which everything else can be built. Smooth out a curve here, put in a grade separation there, double track a stretch, electrify a stretch for greater acceleration and utilize EDMUs, etc... every investment has some level of benefit returned. Sharing tracks and having lower priority isn't something that can be built on.

Yep. When HFR was first being floated, I was kinda opposed. I didn't fully understand it or appreciate that it is not the end, but the beginning. Once you get that, the genius of the plan becomes apparent.

Once built VIA will be able to pitch future governments on projects that show tangible improvements in about 1-1.5 terms. This starts making investing in VIA politically attractive. Imagine how many seats get locked in for a Toronto-Pearson-Kitchener-London extension. I imagine there's probably a seat or two in Eastern Ontario for the party that upgrades Ottawa-Montreal. Likewise in Quebec for whoever upgrades Montreal-Quebec.

Back