News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is pretty low ambition. Their promised reductions translate to about 10 hrs between Toronto and Quebec City and 2 hrs 45 mins between Montreal and Quebec City.

They prioritized electrification over faster service. That seems more like the decision of a government intent on signalling than one thinking of riders.
Virtue signalling is the core value of this government.

I mean the Toronto-Quebec travel time doesn't really make sense to me.

Toronto-Ottawa will be about 3hrs, Ottawa-Montreal probably around 1.5hrs, and Montreal-Quebec at 2.75hrs, for a total of 7.25hrs. Even with a small layover in Montreal theoretically, how do you get 10hrs for end-to-end?

Ultimately Toronto-Quebec is a fairly low demand route that is a bit long for rail to serve anyway. Most of the utility is in the shorter city pairs.

Toronto-Ottawa in 3hrs would be huge for most people in Ontario, for example.

The Toronto-Montreal travel time continues to be disappointing, but it is still a not insignificant improvement over today.

Reading between the lines. This could mean no through service in Montreal. So...

Toronto-Ottawa 3:15 hrs
Ottawa-Montreal 1:45 hrs
Montreal-Quebec City 2:45 hrs

So maybe 2 hrs for changing stations and pre-boarding?

^ That low-quality audio echoing through a cavernous, empty building sure reminded me of the days before VIA when CN installed its Da-dah-dah-dahhh sound system at Toronto Union, but wouldn’t let CP use it…. So all the CP trains were announced in the older PA system, which was perfectly unintelligible. Pretty ironic that this first step towards a new age in passenger rail was a recreation of times past.
I kinda suspected that the announcement woukd be this vague. Sounds like the government is getting on with some obvious prerequisites such as indigenous consultation, but no real dollar commitment or sense of urgency. This isure looks like a file that will be milked for photo ops before anything really happens.

- Payl

Reading between the lines. This could mean no through service in Montreal. So...

Toronto-Ottawa 3:15 hrs
Ottawa-Montreal 1:45 hrs
Montreal-Quebec City 2:45 hrs

So maybe 2 hrs for changing stations and pre-boarding?

However its divied up, overall travel times listed remain too high.

Never mind TGV; and we all understand practical limits around time and money; but I want to see something tangible...........even its a commitment with a 10 year stretch to get those times down.

I also want to see a proper plan extending to S/W Ontario as well. Again, this need not be done all at once, but some hard targets on frequency, reliability and speed would be nice.

I also want to see a proper plan extending to S/W Ontario as well. Again, this need not be done all at once, but some hard targets on frequency, reliability and speed would be nice.
I honestly think the province should do this. The Feds are just so ineffective and slow while provincial transit has actually been gaining steam.

I honestly think the province should do this. The Feds are just so ineffective and slow while provincial transit has actually been gaining steam.

I'm fine w/Mx buying the balance of the CN North Mainline to London, so long as we shift that line to a passenger-rail first operation.

Via should probably be the owner of the remaining CN track from London-Chatham.

Beyond that, I would say VIA is probably the better operator for long-distance travel, if travel time is over 2hrs you really want a higher level of comfort and amenity that what you require from a more typical commuter service.

That said, I see no reason VIA can't be contracted to run that service by Mx.

GO rolling stock might make sense for shorter, City-Pair routes like K-W-London and the two services could interleave appropriately.

Whatever, I'm not fussed on the detail, I'm fussed on the outcome.

Better, more frequent, more reliable, faster, passenger rail service throughout the corridor.

Last edited:
I want to see something tangible...........even its a commitment with a 10 year stretch to get those times down.

LOL. That's the point of this announcement. They don't want to commit to any of that before the election.

I also want to see a proper plan extending to S/W Ontario as well.

Hard to go west of Union without the Kitchener RER upgrade and the Pearson Transit Hub. If those get sorted out, VIA would run service through Union.

I'm fine w/Mx buying the balance of the CN North Mainline to London, so long as we shift that line to a passenger-rail first operation.

Via should probably be the owner of the remaining CN track from London-Chatham.

Beyond that, I would say VIA is probably the better operator for long-distance travel, if travel time is over 2hrs you really want a higher level of comfort and amenity that what you require from a more typical commuter service.

GO rolling stock might make sense for shorter, City-Pair routes like K-W-London and the two services could interleave appropriately.
Agreed on all points, but the conclusion I've ended up with is that Metrolinx should probably just take the full North Mainline while VIA rebrands the southern corridor as an express service.

Serve Dorval on non-express trains, separate the VIA tracks from the CN tracks by shifting CN slightly south and diving under the St Laurent sub junction. Hopefully there are investments that could be made to allow the train to average a speed higher than 60km/h from Centrale to Dorval but the key is not stopping and improving line speed.
Skip Dorval? I'm sure you've seen how many people board at Dorval - wouldn't skipping it with express trains, make the journey longer for many riders?

I don't recall the speeds through St. Laurent junction being an issue - it's from St-Henri into Central Station where it crawls.

They prioritized electrification over faster service.
I didn't notice anything about electrification - nor do I think there's anywhere near that much money budged.

Is there something to indicate that this won't be a diesel service, at least for the first decade or so?

This is pretty low ambition. Their promised reductions translate to about 10 hrs between Toronto and Quebec City
Hang on ... even with the relatively slow schedules currently in place, it's only about 8 hours 45 minutes (such as using 33/63). Probably closer to 7.5 hours at some point in the past.

Edit ... looking the winter 1997 schedule, using trains 25/67 it was 7 hours 29 minutes from Quebec City to Toronto, with a 45-minute layover in Montreal.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points, but the conclusion I've ended up with is that Metrolinx should probably just take the full North Mainline while VIA rebrands the southern corridor as an express service.

In a perfect world, yes. However, given that the Dundas Sub is CN's mainline, I don't know how feasible it is for VIA to have dedicated tracks or any sort of HFR along it.

We are moving VIA off the Kingston line because express service is incompatible with freight, but you suggest the same issues don’t apply west of Toronto ?

The CN line thru Brantford is best left as CN’s main line. The north route can match the timing and handle HFR to Windsor if the right investment is made.

- Paul

So 10 years to build (if on time), and a budget of 6-12G$ for this. CN and CP refuses electrification. Why the government don't force them for the 10% of the routes that they own.

We are moving VIA off the Kingston line because express service is incompatible with freight, but you suggest the same issues don’t apply west of Toronto ?

The CN line thru Brantford is best left as CN’s main line. The north route can match the timing and handle HFR to Windsor if the right investment is made.

- Paul
The Southern Route has the freight trains, the Northern Route has the population centers (Brampton-Guelph-Kitchener). Oakville and Hamilton will be better served by a corridor towards Buffalo...

Back