News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A legitimate observation (and your welcome to your preference) which I share in some respects.
Which is to say, I like a consistent and logical approach to things.

That said, just reviewed monetary abbreviations in the French press and the Italian press and I find they both use British equivalent translations (milliards for billions); but also use T for trillions.
No one in the mainstream press so far as I can discern, in any language, uses the SI system; which is widely used, of course, in science.

Have you observed differently?

I'm all for changing that...........
New Brunswick and Québec media I lived (La Presse has this use if you look in previous links from them). Also British tends to use $bn instead of $B which adds to the confusion. T$ is also used for Trillion in French media because it's about a Tera $, which continues the logic. I also hate that Million = Million, Billion = Milliard, Trillion = Billion. It adds necessary confusion in French as the words are the same but the meaning a thousand of magnitude higher. OCD material here : https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/what-is-the-accepted-abbreviation-for-billion

New Brunswick and Québec media I lived (La Presse has this use if you look in previous links from them). Also British tends to use $bn instead of $B which adds to the confusion. T$ is also used for Trillion in French media because it's about a Tera $, which continues the logic. I also hate that Million = Million, Billion = Milliard, Trillion = Billion. It adds necessary confusion in French as the words are the same but the meaning a thousand of magnitude higher. OCD material here : https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/what-is-the-accepted-abbreviation-for-billion

The British version is especially odd.

At least in Canadian English its Bi, Tri, Quad, Quint, Sex, Sept, Oct, Nin, Dec

There is some logic to that; albeit it would make more sense to use the Metric/SI units.

So the bypass is on the table?

Wonder how this works. Splitting Ottawa and Montreal traffic hurts frequencies to both cities.

So the bypass is on the table?

Wonder how this works. Splitting Ottawa and Montreal traffic hurts frequencies to both cities.
Longer times probably would have cut ridership, plus shorter times free more trains for more frequencies. It's just weird to see 3 parallel routes so close to each other. I wonder what will be the multiplexed routes.

Longer times probably would have cut ridership, plus shorter times free more trains for more frequencies. It's just weird to see 3 parallel routes so close to each other. I wonder what will be the multiplexed routes.

I also suspect that as the travel time via Ottawa kept inching up, it got to the point where it was no longer time competitive. I, guessing it was cheaper to build an alternative. faster route to Smiths Falls than it was to speed up the route west of Smiths Falls even though the latter would have also benefited those traveling between Ottawa and Toronto.

I suspect initially they will only have a few trains a day that bypass Ottawa and will charge a premium fare for those. People on a budget, or who's schedule doesn't match up with the express trains will be able to take the train via Ottawa.

My only comment on the matter with the up to 200km/h - When will this country finally act like this world`s 10th economy?

It's not like a HSR conversion will be cheaper in the future. :rolleyes:
oh well election year - keep ''half assing'' it Canada

My only comment on the matter with the up to 200km/h - When will this country finally act like this world`s 10th economy?

I also suspect that as the travel time via Ottawa kept inching up, it got to the point where it was no longer time competitive. I, guessing it was cheaper to build an alternative. faster route to Smiths Falls than it was to speed up the route west of Smiths Falls even though the latter would have also benefited those traveling between Ottawa and Toronto.

I suspect initially they will only have a few trains a day that bypass Ottawa and will charge a premium fare for those. People on a budget, or who's schedule doesn't match up with the express trains will be able to take the train via Ottawa.
At the costs mentionned, there will never be HSR in my lifetime.

Well theorically it would be cheaper to operate the express trains.

^We may be inheriting (and the media may be confusing) maps that originated in the business case analysis with maps that show final route choices.

It's totally reasonable to map out all the lines between Toronto and Montreal and discuss the pro's and con's and costs of each of these - at the initial study phase..

The only value I can imagine gained by adding the Winchester route might be to reduce the number of meets taking place on the single track between Ottawa and Montreal. That might give assurance of faster times for trains on the VIA owned route.... but I can't imagine getting times on the Winchester line that compete with the Kingston line. And if this were in the cards, CP would not have gone ahead with this past year's single tracking of the Winchester. They would have waited and negotiated a deal with VIA that shared the cost.

CP is in the midlle of promoting ocean-bound intermodal between Saint John and Toronto and beyond. They would welcome passenger trains on their line like..... well, they wouldn't.

Any scenario that shifts significant numbers of trains off the CN line onto a HFR line also creates space on CN for those few express trains.

But who knows? We will see sooner, I guess.

- Paul

Transport Canada still hasn't approved or have guidance for 200km/h railways, so that might even not be possible lol.

Confirmation that Central Station is destination from QC City.

from the article
However, the route that will link Laval to the Central Station has not yet been determined by the federal government.

“Currently, there are several options that are being explored. It is too early at the moment to give a clear route. What is clear is that the train will come to the city center and come to the station, "said Mme Martinez Ferrada.
Well. I'm relieved. Is everyone else relieved?

So they'll greenfield it between Peterborough and Smiths Falls?
Sort of. It follows the old CP alignment from Peterborough to Smith Falls, that was abandoned decades ago.

I use the international standard of units as I said earlier like other media. It's stupid to use 50k$ as a salary in English then not use the other prefixes. I will continue to do so.
If you are going to use a French system for abbreviations that no one will understand in English, do you use the French system for counting while talking English?

Where 72 is sixty-twelve and 95 is four twenties fifteen! :D

Seems the Mayor is already dreaming of a GO-quality parking garage at the station....

All aboard: 5 things you should know about VIA Rail coming to Peterborough

- Paul

Additional things I noted:

1625778857306.png

- When did Alghabra lose his title as Minister?

1625778967986.png

- Glory Days?

1625779047657.png

Really? Interesting idea............

Back