News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^For a little more detail on what was said to Kingston, one can watch the City's Council discuss the VIA proposal in their meeting on 8 August 2017 (yes, that long ago). The Council discussion starts at about 1:17:30 here.

Kingston's Mayor submitted a motion to Council which was unanimously supported. The Mayor's presentation in support of his motion was verbal, drawing from their meeting with the VIA CEO. No paper exhibits were put before Council and the entire discussion was verbal. The questions from Councillors were thoughtful and on point with what has been discussed here. The one point that the Mayor made which we haven't heard elsewhere is that he was confident that trip times would not be lengthened after this change.

Kingston's support was simply a letter to be included in the VIA submission to government. It was an ask of a secondary element in an HFR proposal that is still unclear four years later,

The hub style service plan, which has been said unofficially to amount to 12 trains each way between Kingston and Toronto, is unquestionably a better plan for service to the Lakeshore. The addition of the layover trains giving better early morning/late evening options will draw ridership and may prove to be among the most popular trains in this service. A frequency of 12 daily trains is quite attractive for this route. So in principle it's an easy thing to support.

My concern remains whether this is a sincere, credible path forward - or simply vapourware. The proposal gives little credence to a) just how badly Ottawa wants to extricate itself from subsidising rail passenger and b) how CN is likely to treat the service once throught T-O-M passengers aren't impacted by indifferent operations. The Kingston Hub assumes both willingness to subsidise and willingness to operate - the two things HFR is promising to eliminate. The lack of documented detail even to the City Council speaks to how flimsy the assurance VIA gave really was (and is).

I may be living in the past but I remember how VIA service looked to London in 1983. Nothing in the regulatory framework, the funding framework, or VIA's legal mandate has changed since then. The London comparison may be ancient but is quite appropriate .... if VIA is this interested in a 12-train service for the Lakeshore route, then where is its interest and explicit promotion of comparable service vision for west of Toronto, which is an even more populous route with more potential? The Kingston plan may well just be bait and switch.

The Mayor's recent statement on Youtube attracted some interesting and somewhat snarky commentary. Sadly, I'm afraid those grumps were very much on point..

I guess time will tell. I really do hope to be proven wrong.

- Paul

If your only metric on service is the number of trains stopping at Kingston, it's worse service. But if you actually listened to what the Mayor of Kingston said in his video, the schedule will now be centered around their needs. Not those of passengers departing from the big metros. What use is VIA to folks in Kingston if say the first departure is after 1030, like it is today?

And Kingston, Belleville, Coburg, Oshawa and Brockville might see a slight drop in the total number of trains. But there are stations like Port Hope and Trenton that are probably going to see an increase in the number of trains calling at them.

I trust the mayors and councils in these communities to actually know what service is good for their communities.

Agreed. The other consideration is, having two trains 5 minutes apart and then the next train 1h55 later might statistically be hourly train service, but in practice, it isn't. This is an example of how the trains are optimized for service to Ottawa and Montreal, not the lakeshore.

Also, just before COVID (January 2020) I did an analysis of the number of eastbound trains arriving (departing in the case of Toronto) at each of the Lakeshore stations weekdays, and came up with the following Totals. I then added an assumed new number of arrivals post HFR and showed the percent increase (or decrease if negative) in the number of arrivals.

Station
No. of Arr.
New Arrivals (after HFR)
Percent increase (decrease)
Toronto (Dep)​
15​
12​
-20.0%​
Oshawa​
14​
12​
-14.3%​
Kingston​
13​
12​
-7.7%​
Cobourg​
9​
12​
33.3%​
Belleville​
8​
12​
50.0%​
Brockville​
7​
12​
71.4%​
Guildwood​
5​
6​
20.0%​
Cornwall​
5​
6​
20.0%​
Port Hope​
3​
6​
100.0%​
Trenton Jct.​
2​
6​
200.0%​
Napanee​
2​
6​
200.0%​
Gananoque​
1​
6​
500.0%​

As you can see, even though there is a 20% reduction in the number of departures from Toronto (which actually represents a 29.4% reduction in trainsets since trains 50&60 as well as 52&62 run split service) only Oshawa and Kingston would have reduction in the number of arrivals. All of the other stations would see an increase in the number of arrivals, some a significant increase.

Admittedly the results would be a little different westbound as eastbound two pairs of trains run split service, where as westbound more trains run back to back instead.

My assumptions for this were:
  • The 12 trains west of Kingston and 6 trains east to each of Montreal and Ottawa shown on Mayor Paterson's map are each way.
  • Half of the trains will be “express” and only stop at the larger stations and half will be regional and stop at all stations.
  • All trains to Montreal stop in Cornwall.

If that is the planned service, than yes service will be much better. I assume a similar service pattern for Québec City-Drummondville-Montréal corridor?

My concern remains whether this is a sincere, credible path forward - or simply vapourware. The proposal gives little credence to a) just how badly Ottawa wants to extricate itself from subsidising rail passenger and b) how CN is likely to treat the service once throught T-O-M passengers aren't impacted by indifferent operations. The Kingston Hub assumes both willingness to subsidise and willingness to operate - the two things HFR is promising to eliminate. The lack of documented detail even to the City Council speaks to how flimsy the assurance VIA gave really was (and is).

I get the concern and skepticism. But jeez, cynicism like this is why nothing ever gets done in this country anymore.

And again, I absolutely detest the fact that literally the 11 million residents of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal have their interests held hostage to those of the one million living on Lakeshore. If anybody thinks this is reasonable, then I submit we should allow the same thing locally in Toronto. I want to give full veto over the entire RER project, to anybody who lives along a GO line in Toronto. I am so done with this nonsense.....

Last edited:
Cornwall for one, could be a candidate for an early morning train for people who work in Montreal. This demand will only increase with higher home prices forcing people to live further away.

HFR should help with this. With service optimized for the "Lakeshore" rather than service optimized for TOM travel, there would likely be early morning trains that leave Kingston bound for Ottawa and Montreal (the later of which would stop in Cornwall) The thing that is stopping VIA from doing this today is limited capacity due to all of the trains on the corridor optimized for TOM travel.

HFR should help with this. With service optimized for the "Lakeshore" rather than service optimized for TOM travel, there would likely be early morning trains that leave Kingston bound for Ottawa and Montreal (the later of which would stop in Cornwall) The thing that is stopping VIA from doing this today is limited capacity due to all of the trains on the corridor optimized for TOM travel.
yes exactly. Lakeshore will become more milk runny with the express trains on HFR tracks now.

Seems appropriate. If they're being forced to travel at freight speed by CN then Via might as well make a large number of stops while doing it.

I suspect they some faster "express" trains and some slower stopping or regional trains. The definition of express might be a bit different from today though, as they probably won't have any non-stop trains from Kingston to Toronto (like trains 40, 43 and 45 prior to COVID), but they may have some trains with only a few (1-3) stops. It is also unlikely they will have any trains on the Lakeshore that don't stop in Kingston (like trains 68 and 646).

I get the concern and skepticism. But jeez, cynicism like this is why nothing ever gets done in this country anymore.

And again, I absolutely detest the fact that literally the 11 million residents of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal have their interests held hostage to those of the one million living on Lakeshore. If anybody thinks this is reasonable, then I submit we should allow the same thing locally in Toronto. I want to give full veto over the entire RER project, to anybody who lives along a GO line in Toronto. I am so done with this nonsense.....

Well, the never getting anything done (except the promising) is what breeds the cynicism in the first place….0Chicken and egg it seems.

If there are only enough resources to serve one of T-O-M or Lakeshore, I quite agree - the metro needs must prevail. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect transparency around that point - if that’s the government’s position, then say so, and be accountable to the people that you are removing service from.
I don’t applaud Metrolinx very iften, but I very much like their approach to detailed, discoverable business cases. If we had similar on the table for HFR, we would know what we are debating.

- Paul

I don’t applaud Metrolinx very iften, but I very much like their approach to detailed, discoverable business cases. If we had similar on the table for HFR, we would know what we are debating.

Yes it would be nice to have a detailed business case put out. And I have been critical before of the government for not being more forthcoming. But the lack of a public business case is not an excuse to engage in concern trolling. You know as well as I do, that all this does is give license to those who want nothing more than to kibosh the whole thing.

I can see it now. Some CPC candidate in a Lakeshore riding this November. "We're going to cancel HFR because all it does is serve those urban elites in Toronto and Ottawa."

Yes it would be nice to have a detailed business case put out. And I have been critical before of the government for not being more forthcoming. But the lack of a public business case is not an excuse to engage in concern trolling. You know as well as I do, that all this does is give license to those who want nothing more than to kibosh the whole thing.

I can see it now. Some CPC candidate in a Lakeshore riding this November. "We're going to cancel HFR because all it does is serve those urban elites in Toronto and Ottawa."
That's the biggest problem with via being a crown Corp. It's tied to the political whim of the governing party. The cpc candidate will argue against hfr simply because it's funded by the liberals right now

July 14
The Ocean Train at Halifax Station with power shut down. To start service in Aug
DSC02446.JPG
DSC02450.JPG
DSC02451.JPG
DSC02441.JPG

Not being able to use the container port to wye the train, how are they going to turn the train when it gets to Halifax?
Step 1: Push train somewhere with a track available to run around the train.
Step 2: Detach locomotives.
Step 3: Have locomotives run around the train.
Step 4: Attach locomotives at the opposite end of the train.
Step 5: Push train back to the station track.

Last edited:
Step 1: Pull train somewhere with a track available to run around the train.
Step 2: Detach locomotives.
Step 3: Have locomotives run around the train.
Step 4: Attach locomotives at the opposite end of the train.
Step 5: Push train back to the station track.
Lol.

If it was that easy why were they going to cancel the train to Halifax for not being able to use the port?

Back