News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hasn't the Canadian been 3 times a week since 1990?
Indeed, the 2012 cuts only affected the third frequency during the off-peak season (i.e. the frequency decreased from three to two departures per week from mid-October to end-of-April, while remaining at three departure during the summer). Apart from Atlantic Canada and SWO, the 2012 cuts were very modest and service has actually expanded substantially throughout the Corridor East since then...

Last edited:
Another note with Prime Minister O'Toole likely to win the election, you can kiss all of those election promises goodbye. Including VIA HFR.

They would rather build 2 more lanes on the 401 than spend money on VIA rail.

Don’t be too sure. The CPC position on HFR has been remarkably specific and positive…..unlike other issues where they are straddling the line between two sides of an issue in order to attract/pacify various party factions. One senses they have no apprehension about HFR being a turnoff to some of their constituents. And, they seem to understand the file. When politicans articulate the specifics, it means they take the issue seriously, wherever they stand on it.

The up side of a CPC government is that having squeaked in on the strength of one extreme, the only place they can grow from there is to attract more voters from the middle. I keep hoping that O’Toole is a budding Bill Davis rather than Harper (or God forbid, Harris) on steroids.

And, as @kEiThZ pointed out, they have a good leverage to win rural votes on the issue - usually that’s the demographic that opposes VIA spending. I do think the urban voters in O-Q can be moved with this project, especially if the Tories can communicate just how badly the Liberals have been holding it up. I’m astounded that the Liberals have committed close to half a billion but are not giving any specifics of where that money is going. Del Duca wouldn’t let that happen.

Harper did not fund VIA projects on a whim…. there was a business case, but it was kept pretty quiet. It helped that the 2008 crash happened and even the Conservatives recognised the need for a stimulus program. I’m not defending him generally, but he did support VIA on that.

- Paul

The other factor that could help influence Tory support of HFR is the promise of it reducing VIA’s operational subsidies. The cuts the Tories made to VIA in the past were to reduce their sundaes, not because of an inherent hatred of trains.

It is also possible that the freight railways had a bug in their ear, wanting a reduction in interference from VIA. They most likely like HFR, as it reduces that interference. When I wrote to my MP (Pierre Poilievre) about a year ago about his position on HFR, his response was about the importance of moving freight and passengers.

I think that they may do the same and "upgrade" the existing corridor as a stop gap and avoid spending the bid bucks on a new corridor like the Harper government.

Who knows what they'll do. But specific mention of HFR is a decent sign that they are interested. Also, like I said earlier, they have some political interests that line up with this project. Let's not forget that the first person to really push returning rail service on the Havelock sub was Conservative MP Dean Del Mastro. So Conservative interest in a rail project here predates HFR.

Waa this not the same government that cancelled the high-speed rail project approved by the former liberal government?

Which project and which government? Serious question. We have a long history of Liberals talking about rail projects, doing little to nothing in office, and then having conservatives who come in simply cancel the near non-existent project. Even on HFR, the Liberals didn't fund a full engineering study and the joint project office till June 2019, almost 4 years after getting elected. They ran nearly $80 billion in deficits in their first term. And yet couldn't find $70M over that time to get all the engineering work done. That should tell you that their sincerity isn't all its cracked up to be.

I do think the urban voters in O-Q can be moved with this project, especially if the Tories can communicate just how badly the Liberals have been holding it up.

I don't think HFR will necessarily move voters in the big metros. But it will help in ridings along the routes, opens up possibilities to flip Lakeshore ridings with the Kingston hub and could help flip a few suburban ridings in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal where the suburban stations are.

Broadly, if they can actually build something it does sort of put a lie to the whole 2015 Liberal "Deliverology" claim, that they would be the party that delivers. Delivering a major piece of infrastructure that is used by the middle class is a noticeable and visible demonstration of competence. And now that the Liberals have done most of the prep work...

I’m astounded that the Liberals have committed close to half a billion but are not giving any specifics of where that money is going.

Yep. Total BS. No idea where the money is going. And no idea what "starting the procurement process" even means. I am assuming that is an RFP. But that's a generous interpretation of a vague phrase. The Liberals could have had shovels in the ground by now, if they were actually serious about this project. But even now, they go out of their way to be vague.

When I wrote to my MP (Pierre Poilievre) about a year ago about his position on HFR, his response was about the importance of moving freight and passengers.

First, my sympathies to you to have that guy as your MP.

Next, I feel like that's a boiler plate response. I followed the CPC transport critic and even listened in on a recent forum where she was talking. Her entire worldview was rail for cargo and airlines for passengers. She didn't have much depth beyond that. If HFR is truly on the menu, it's because O'Toole or some staffer from the GTA probably forced it in.

First, my sympathies to you to have that guy as your MP.

Thanks for the condolences. I don’t get why he is so popular here. He spends more time trying to look good than actually doing anything.

Next, I feel like that's a boiler plate response.

I agree. The reply really really didn’t answer my question at the time. I wasn’t really expecting him to but I thought it was worth asking the question. I certainly did find it interesting how he brought up the importance of moving freight though

I followed the CPC transport critic and even listened in on a recent forum where she was talking. Her entire worldview was rail for cargo and airlines for passengers. She didn't have much depth beyond that.

I’m not really surprised. Stephanie Kusie is the MP for Calgary Midnapore and has probably never taken a train in her life. Looking at her Wikipedia page, it seems like she has a poly sci background and doesn’t have any prior experience with the transport file before she was shuffled into the role a year ago.

its near the end of the year, any updates on the first charger set? the schedule calls for delivery in the 2nd half of this year.

They are delivered as trainsets and I don't see any reason to deploy the fleet as anything else than trainsets...
Same with the lrcs.... look what happened after 10 yrs... hate to be cynical but via track record of butchering and Mish mashing is irrefutable

Same with the lrcs.... look what happened after 10 yrs... hate to be cynical but via track record of butchering and Mish mashing is irrefutable
The locomotives were ordered with the coaches, yes, but I think integrated train management and telemetry systems have come on a few generations since those days...

The locomotives were ordered with the coaches, yes, but I think integrated train management and telemetry systems have come on a few generations since those days...
That was also the case with tilting systems in LRC's but I believe that some diagnosis and management equipment was installed in the P42'S when they where ordered.

There will be a surplus of F40s with the delivery of the Siemens fleet, but only one Charger locomotive for every 5 Viaggio cars. Why would VIA use a scarce Charger locomotive to haul legacy fleet cars?

I don’t see your point - when VIA assigned underutilised LRCs to conventional trains it was because the LRCs were new and (relatively) reliable while the rest of their locos were junk. Good strategy if you ask me.

The F40s and P42s will not be compatible with some of the Siemens’ onboard tech so I don,’t anticipate their seeing much duty with the new fleet. . If a Charger loco is occasionally used on LRC or HEP trains, what’s wrong with that? They will be newer, more fuel efficient, and greener.

Hell, rent ‘em to CP for peaks, as VIA used to do with the 6400s…. good business.

- Pail

Back