News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

IMG_20211115_203756.jpg

Honestly, I liked my last trip better. The service manager on this train was a lot more strict than the last one I had about masks. But, business class was 2/3 full vs 3 people last time so it's fair.

Since economy was $46, and business was $64, the upgrade was a no brainer.

As I said before, business is a good deal if you're eating, drinking, and working. But if you're just going to be sleeping, go for economy.

The brakes on the refurb HEP trains sound like the ones on Mighty Canadian Minebuster

Last edited:
It's been covered. Over and over and over again. @Urban Sky just covered it above again. They went east because there were lower risk and lower investment (relatively) options. And, at the time that HFR was being conceived, there was an Ontario government pushing HSR to London. What exactly would the point of an HFR proposal to London have been then?
HSR has been dead for years. VIA has significantly modified HFR since then, and has also announced.

Some have an opinion that there won't be VIA frequency increases - but this isn't supported by any evidence. And is even is somewhat contrary to the recent announcement of VIA studying service improvements in Southwestern Ontario - https://globalnews.ca/news/8048108/...don-region-but-details-remain-down-the-track/

I don't think trying to moderate the forum based on an opinion that some (or more?) disagree with.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if there were increased VIA frequencies eventually between London and Toronto - either on the line through Hamilton/Brantford (or less likely on the CP line through Galt). I don't see that the many-hour milk run through Kitchener stops that.

Zero chance that any rail network upgrade west of Union skips Pearson or Kitchener (AKA our "innovation corridor"). Especially since Hamilton is so well covered by GO.
I'd say there's zero chance that any VIA improvements short of HSR services Pearson other than how it's serviced now. At best they'll add a combined UP/GO/Via stop at Highway 27 to replace Malton (for VIA) (and Etobicoke North for GO).

It's a bit far. But not so far as to be unmanageable with movators. It's planned in front of the current Terminal 3.
I'm always puzzled about this design. Obviously from how Highway 409 goes through that portal under the new gates there's a very significant underground structure under there - which I assume includes some kind of people mover from the new station to Terminal 1/3. Though perhaps that's a discussion for a different thread.

I don’t disagree with the premise that there had to be a starting point, and we can’t “boil the ocean” all in one step.

But I would quibble about the premise that Quebec City is easy and economical while Toronto-Pearson-Kitchener-London is hard and expensive.

For one thing, Quebec-Montreal is 180 miles where Toronto-London is 119. Second, the Toronto-Pearson leg is roughed in while the approach to Montreal is messy and needs re construction along CP and CN trackage. A true hub at Pearson is still a decade or more away, true, but I’m not convinced that a free bus shuttle from Malton to Pearson is not viable as a stopgap - Logan in Boston has such a shuttle, for example.

Population wise, Toronto-Pearson-Kitchener-London is way ahead of Montreal-Trois Rivieres- Quebec. One can assume that ridership potential is greater.

We have not seen a comparative business case showing the relative merits of Quebec-Montreal vs Toronto-London as an element of HFR. It has been reported that the Quebec leg of HFR is not a money maker. Perhaps a head to head analysis would have favoured London.

Perhaps political considerations, and not network or economic considerations, is why things ended up this way. Plus a federal-provincial disconnect that makes it tempting for Ottawa to pass the tab for the west of Toronto leg to the province, especially with GO needing to invest in that line anyways. (I do think there is a political agenda, not a network agenda, behind GO stretching to London…. mark my words…)

Because of the politics, I think it’s inevitable that HFR 1.0 had to stop at Toronto. But let’s not misportray that as a sound economic decision.

- Paul
Not sure it's been covered that much. And I'm not sure why it's dismissed at all, given that there's plans for the longer Montreal-Quebec corridor, that has lower population. And as crs1026 points out, the approaches into Montreal from the east (heck, from anywhere other than south shore) are horrific.
UrbanSky............You state that the reason why the line is going to QC was in, in part, due to politicians, business, and media demanding be so which just confirms what I have been saying all along, that this is very much a plan based primarily based upon political considerations and not transportation needs. This is to say nothing of the fact that TR/QC is one of the slowest growing areas of the country and SWO one of the fastest.
Even if the passengers alight in the north end, there is a need to get the trains to and from the maintenance base with reliability. I can’t see doing that with the status quo trackage. And the last ten miles into the north end station will need improvements to clear EXO trains.

So we are left with 80 miles of single track restoration from Georgetown to London, plus 10 miles of intensive construction Georgetown to Bramalea…. versus 160 miles of single track restoration, plus 10 miles of intensive construction into northern Montreal, plus an “escape” solution to bring the trains downtown at night.

On a pure cost to build and revenue potential comparison, I’d still vote for London.

You make a good point that we have to look over VIA’s shoulder as they saw things in 2014-2015, as that’s when the HFR concept was conceived. Given that date’s landscape, and the initial focus on a profit generating HFR, I can’t fault VIA for not looking to London. Neither London nor Quebec would have looked particularly profitable given the investment required.
The entire point of HFR was to conceive a project which was large enough to make intercity passenger rail relevant again, while keeping it small enough so that the price-tag wouldn't make it dead-on-arrival as had happened with every single HSR proposal. That's why inevitably neither MTRL-QBEC nor SWO were part of the initial scope, because the head can work without hands, but the hands can't work without the head.

That's also why the later inclusion of MTRL-QBEC only means that this leg was included in the planning process as an add-on to a project which works just as well as a stand-alone. Therefore, whatever problems MTRL-QBEC encounters have very little impact on the HFR core corridor, as MTRL-QBEC will only be built if anyone wants to pay for its construction costs.

The same applies of course for SWO, but this year's announcement only means that the planning for HFR West have only just begun, which means that the hostile attitude towards HFR when HSR was still an election promise on steroids has lost SWO three or so years compared to MTRL-QBEC...

There's currently three rail corridors from Toronto to London. Adding some extra track from Aldershot to London would be quite doable. Heck, if you want to go for speed, restore the Brantford bypass track, and switch to new track along the CP corridor from Woodstock to London. And with that alignment the Pearson "problem" vanishes (not that it is a problem really).
When I talk about London service I am not talking about the route via Kitchener but rather Aldershot which is far more direct. This route is as direct as it could be and is only 180km. As noted above, restoring the Brantford Bypass would do wonders.
Ah, the "pay-and-pray" approach is back! Not that it gave much bang-for-the-buck on the Kingston Sub, but, hey, who says we can't try the same on the Dundas Sub and hope for different results...!?!

In all seriousness, if any public funds are to be wasted on upgrading the Dundas Sub, then I sincerely hope as a Quebec taxpayer that only your Ontarian tax dollars are burnt for such a "Hail Mary" project, which does only one thing effectively and that is avoiding all the relevant population centers between London and the GTHA (plus this country's busiest Airport) - especially if the stupid Brantford Bypass is (re)built...

As far as people in SWO opposing Wynne's plan, that is crap. It got news coverage due to a couple of outspoken farmers but that was enough for QP to quickly rescind the plan that Wynne had created on the back of a napkin 20 minutes before the election call.
I don't normally use words like "crap", but if I had to use it to describe anything, I might use it for your reading-comprehension skills (to the extent that they are discernible from your contributions in this forum): Nobody has talked about local opposition against Wynne's HSR vanity project (which was mostly led by farmers anyway) for at least the last few dozens of pages, but about the hostility with which HFR was met in SWO - not for HFR ignoring SWO, but for VIA having the audacity of proposing an intercity rail proposal anywhere in the country at the same time as the shovels were allegedly already prepared to get HSR started!

As I said before, business is a good deal if you're eating, drinking, and working. But if you're just going to be sleeping, go for economy.
Business Class is a fantastic deal if you have to get work done and your employer pays your ticket while you can rack up Preference points...

HSR has been dead for years. VIA has significantly modified HFR since then, and has also announced.

Some have an opinion that there won't be VIA frequency increases - but this isn't supported by any evidence. And is even is somewhat contrary to the recent announcement of VIA studying service improvements in Southwestern Ontario - https://globalnews.ca/news/8048108/...don-region-but-details-remain-down-the-track/

I don't think trying to moderate the forum based on an opinion that some (or more?) disagree with.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if there were increased VIA frequencies eventually between London and Toronto - either on the line through Hamilton/Brantford (or less likely on the CP line through Galt). I don't see that the many-hour milk run through Kitchener stops that.
There may be a few more frequencies on the Dundas Sub which VIA might be able to somehow extract from CN, but there is absolutely zero chance that you'll see VIA operating over the Galt Sub, as it has all the issues of the Halton and Dundas Sub (e.g. transcontinental freight traffic), an inferior alignment and much less population served (avoiding KITC, GUEL and BRTF) and without much of its (partial) remedy (i.e. double-tracking)...

Last edited:
Has VIA stop having locomotives on both end of trains due to increase of service as I seen a lot of single end trains in place of both end??

Has VIA stop having locomotives on both end of trains due to increase of service as I seen a lot of single end trains in place of both end??
With VIA operating at - by my latest count - 82.4% of its regular pre-Covid scheduled train-mileage, there is neither the fleet nor the need to operate that many consists as Push-Pull...

Business Class is a fantastic deal if you have to get work done and your employer pays your ticket while you can rack up Preference points...
Yes, some things in VIA Preference are almost too good to be true. For example, if you're a Premier member, you could spend $8834 pre-tax on train tickets, earn a 3x multiplier on your points, and redeem them for a trip from Toronto-Vancouver, something that would cost $10672 (May 1) pre-tax if you paid cash.

Or if you get your employer to pay for a Business Plus ticket from Toronto to London return at $320 pre-tax, there is a 150% class of service multiplier. So if you are a premier member you are getting 4.5 points per dollar spent or 1440 points. With the current 30% off promo, it's almost enough for 2 additional round trips in economy class for the same route.

On the other hand, if you're already an Air Canada 100k Super Elite, and your employer is willing to pay for Latitude tickets from YYZ to YXU, you're probably going to fly.

The rail passes were massively watered down in 2019, and the only good ones are the Unlimited Canada Pass and the Commuter Pass. VIA Preference is a very good value, but I can't help but think that it's next to be watered down.

Ah, the "pay-and-pray" approach is back! Not that it gave much bang-for-the-buck on the Kingston Sub, but, hey, who says we can't try the same on the Dundas Sub and hope for different results...!?!
Just need the right contract or government action. Pay-and-pray has worked well on the CN Halton and Dundas subs for GO, and GO used other solutions on the extension of the Kingston Sub.

In all seriousness, if any public funds are to be wasted on upgrading the Dundas Sub, then I sincerely hope as a Quebec taxpayer that only your Ontarian tax dollars are burnt for such a "Hail Mary" project, which does only one thing effectively and that is avoiding all the relevant population centers between London and the GTHA (plus this country's busiest Airport)
As opposed to Quebec City to Montreal on the north shore? It also shares with freight - which could increase if there's no ports and rail expansions in that area.

There may be a few more frequencies on the Dundas Sub which VIA might be able to somehow extract from CN, but there is absolutely zero chance that you'll see VIA operating over the Galt Sub, as it has all the issues of the Halton and Dundas Sub (e.g. transcontinental freight traffic), an inferior alignment and much less population served (avoiding KITC, GUEL and BRTF) and without much of its (partial) remedy (i.e. double-tracking).
I'd assume dedicated track(s) and sidings for VIA. It's not that bad on population, with the stops in Milton and Woodstock. Not to mention the station in Waterloo Region that would connect to the LRT.

But inferior alignment? It would be under 2 hours express. CP did it at least as fast as 125 minutes with 4 stops. At the same time, CN was doing it in 115 minutes. VIA's current best time is 127 minutes. Have they ever done it under 125 minutes (you'd probably know best)?

If Galt is a more doable and cheaper option than Dundas - why not? And better connections to the subway in Etobicoke, and the Hurontario and Waterloo LRTs.

Just need the right contract or government action. Pay-and-pray has worked well on the CN Halton and Dundas subs for GO, and GO used other solutions on the extension of the Kingston Sub.

As opposed to Quebec City to Montreal on the north shore? It also shares with freight - which could increase if there's no ports and rail expansions in that area.

I'd assume dedicated track(s) and sidings for VIA. It's not that bad on population, with the stops in Milton and Woodstock. Not to mention the station in Waterloo Region that would connect to the LRT.

But inferior alignment? It would be under 2 hours express. CP did it at least as fast as 125 minutes with 4 stops. At the same time, CN was doing it in 115 minutes. VIA's current best time is 127 minutes. Have they ever done it under 125 minutes (you'd probably know best)?

If Galt is a more doable and cheaper option than Dundas - why not? And better connections to the subway in Etobicoke, and the Hurontario and Waterloo LRTs.
You mean CP's Galt Sub? You've seen what they're willing to give to Milton GO. Much of the route using the Dundas Sub is Metrolinx owned, so less costly (and you'd miss the also-large LSW suburbs).

You mean CP's Galt Sub? You've seen what they're willing to give to Milton GO.
Without adding tracks for VIA/GO. I'm not suggesting that. Besides, with the government promise of full-day RER service to Milton, there's going to have to be infrastructure upgrades.

Much of the route using the Dundas Sub is Metrolinx owned, so less costly (and you'd miss the also-large LSW suburbs).
I'd assume that there'd still be service on the Dundas sub, the same way that with HFR, there'll still be service to Kingston.

Also - how is using the Galt sub different from using the CP Winchester sub?

To the best of my knowledge, the only GO service to have used any part of the Dundas Sub (MP 0.0=Bayview to MP 78.2=London West) is the Toronto-Kitchener-London service which premiered last month and even on that short stretch between London Junction and London Station, it doesn't share tracks with any of CN's freight services...

I was unfortunately not able to find any CP travel time in my database which was faster than the 2:05 you mentioned, which leads me to believe that this was indeed the fastest travel time ever scheduled over the Galt Sub:
1637095164535.png

Source: official CP timetable (effective 1969-04-27)

To compare: the best time via the Dundas Sub was 105 minutes (1h45) - in October 2005:
1637094790734.png

Note: The "Average travel time" metric excludes services via Kitchener

1637094766883.png

Source: VIA schedule (effective 2005-10-30)

Last edited:
^Please explain to me why anyone would consider running an intensive passenger service over the Dundas Sub, which is CN's main international freight line, and has as many barriers and conflicts with freight service (more, actually) than the Kingston Sub which has proven to be a poor place for VIA to run an intensive passenger service due to barriers and conflicts with CN's freight operation.

The Dundas Sub is a complete non-starter, let's not keep cycling back to it.

- Paul

To the best of my knowledge, the only GO service to have used any part of the Dundas Sub (MP 0.0=Bayview to MP 78.2=London West)
Ah, I meant Oakville sub - I've lost track of where it changes.

Please explain to me why anyone would consider running an intensive passenger service over the Dundas Sub, which is CN's main international freight line, and has as many barriers and conflicts with freight service (more, actually) than the Kingston Sub which has proven to be a poor place for VIA to run an intensive passenger service due to barriers and conflicts with CN's freight operation.
Because with the right contracts and separation, it's going to be faster than running further north.

The Dundas Sub is a complete non-starter, let's not keep cycling back to it.
Which is why I'm suggesting the Galt Sub.

Decades of experience with freight companies strangling VIA service, but some still insist that if we just cut a big enough cheque, this time will be different....
So kill VIA HFR then, which runs a much longer distance on the Winchester Sub?

Because with the right contracts and separation, it's going to be faster than running further north.

If that were possible, then it would be equally or more possible through Kingston, and HFR wouldn't be on the table.

Which is why I'm suggesting the Galt Sub.

I can't see CP being any more helpful than CN, considering that VIA's end need is the same (an hourly service pattern) and the Galt Sub is single track west of Campbellville.

The CP line is straight and could be very fast, certainly - but those historical fast timings happened in a day when there were more service tracks and sidings, and freight trains were shorter and could be tucked out of the way. Nowadays freights on the Galt Sub do their work from the main line and pass only in a couple locations that have sufficient siding length.

And, back then there were only two or three passenger trains a day each way. CP never tried to replicate CN's passenger frequency, let alone what we need going forward... probably couldn't have done it back then, and it certainly couldn't do it now, without really impacting their freight operation.

Put CP on one line with CN and dedicate the other to passenger? It has its appeal, but it's just beyond what our legislators would ever direct, and the compensation paid to the freight railways would be huge. To me it's a fantasy argument, even if it arguably can work. The northern route is the only one VIA can afford, it avoids a huge hassle with the freight railroads, and it's not a bad choice if upgraded appropriately.

- Paul.

Back