News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Meanwhile on VIA‘s website:
And to make matters worse, GO's Niagara trains are also missing from the VIA site, despite GO trains supposedly being available via their trip planner.

Though maybe it's for the best, because if people knew they could take the 08:51 GO train to Niagara Falls for $5, they probably wouldn't spend $24 to take the 08:20 VIA train which is only 5 minutes faster.
Screenshot_20220627-183908.png

Last edited:
Received via email:

We invite you to watch VIA Rail’s 2022 Annual Public Meeting (APM) to be aired on August 9 at 4 p.m. (ET), where we will report to Canadians on our performance, financial results, and projects for 2021, a year marked by a continued focus on service resumption and modernization.

VIA Rail’s Chairperson of the Board of Directors, Françoise Bertrand, as well as Martin R Landry and Marie-Claude Cardin, will be participating in the 2022 APM pre-recorded session which will be available on our Facebook page and YouTube channel.

If you would like to submit a question, we invite you to do so here between June 27 and June 30. Answers to the most frequently asked questions will be published on August 9 on our Annual Public Meeting page.

According to this cycling plan, #62 has the same six-car HEP-II consist (H1) every day except Saturdays (L3):
View attachment 410103

I guess that makes the first car a dead head move?

Yup. According to my records, trainset H1 had 4 HEP2 economy and 2 HEP2 business cars for a total of 6 cars (plus a P42 locomotive), which is exactly what I see on that train.
Is there demand for two business class cars on that train? Or were there not enough economy cars to make up the trainset?

Is there demand for two business class cars on that train? Or were there not enough economy cars to make up the trainset?
There is never enough demand for business class. I always ask to be upgraded to BC when I buy economy. Every once in a while the ticketer is like "sure why not" and when I go into BC its near empty.

There is never enough demand for business class. I always ask to be upgraded to BC when I buy economy. Every once in a while the ticketer is like "sure why not" and when I go into BC its near empty.

Except when there are major political events in Toronto or Montreal; in those cases you might find Business Class sold out for the entire day before and economy with plenty of remaining space.

Do they give free upgrades if there is room??

Are there any HEP I cars that could be used in the corridor to supplement the LRC"s that are being retired?

Why not lease GO rolling stock? It's been done before when there were issues with the LRC cars.
Well that's what happens when you stretch the service life of rolling stock to the very last minute with no replacement plan in place.
They should've bought the charger sets at least a few years earlier so the transition can be much smoother.

Well that's what happens when you stretch the service life of rolling stock to the very last minute with no replacement plan in place.
They should've bought the charger sets at least a few years earlier so the transition can be much smoother.
Funding was an issue.

I'm sure if there were no replacement scheduled, they could fix them at an extensive cost.

An aside: why are some of the choices for stations in southern ontario so ransom for via. Ingersoll with a population of 12.7K gets a station , but tourist destination Paris (12.4 K population ) doesn't have one. New hamburg is another large town with no station. why does Wyoming get a stop while Watford doesn't when they are just about the same size. My hot take is if via is not time-competitive anyways, why not just serve these towns which often don't have any other connections despite being on the mainlines

Back