News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that VIA redesign their galleys or something like that. I don't see this as a facility problem. Flight and rail caterers can still deliver amazing food. You just gotta tell them what it should be. VIA just needs to put in a little more effort into this and maybe spend a few more dollars per plate.
Maybe they can also have something like the japanese bento boxes for sale at decent non organ donation prices in the concourse levels. I'm sure that would be very popular for the corridor riders

I agree with Dan. Some of the best meals I’ve had “in transit” anywhere has been on VIA1. But the quality can be variable. On one trip pre-pandemic they were testing receipts/menus suggested by staff. I had a wonderful curry chicken, which you would not expect. Two weeks ago, on a trip from Quebec City, my wife had a chilled Salmon Salad with a huge piece of poached salmon. My wife declared it was perfectly prepared. A feat that is hard to imagine on a catered train. One last comment, while I have the floor…. If you like a Caesar Cocktail, do order one in VIA1. It’s huge and the staff tend to have a generous pour. If I didn’t know better, I’d swear, they are trying to put you to sleep on purpose!
This is a case where VIA and the airlines suffer from the same problems.

All of the various catering companies offer different packages and pricing levels, depending on what the airlines (and VIA) want to offer. But certain bases are well known to be not as good as others.

Toronto, for instance, is not highly regarded. Montreal, on the other hand, is.

Dan

Our company has a rule that you need to travel using the cheapest method possible, and to rent a car if it's cheaper than paying for mileage.

Car rental prices are very high right now. I'm looking to rent a car for a weekend in late August. $455 is the cheapest I've seen (midsize), using a work discount. Mind, I haven't spent a lot of time searching.

Anyway, a bit off topic. More to point out that train fares are pretty decent in comparison!

Reactions: DSC
Maybe they can also have something like the japanese bento boxes for sale at decent non organ donation prices in the concourse levels. I'm sure that would be very popular for the corridor riders
Or how about selling actual meals for economy class? Even at $25.00 I would pay that if I didn't have time to get it before boarding. Otherwise I'm stuck with cheese and crackers.

They used to have subs and stuff but they got rid of it.

I'm not sure they could pull this off. For one, VIA stations outside the major metro stops don't have enough traffic to offer food options. At major stations there are fast food options you can grab before boarding. What's needed are options they can sell onboard.

I'm not sure they could pull this off. For one, VIA stations outside the major metro stops don't have enough traffic to offer food options. At major stations there are fast food options you can grab before boarding. What's needed are options they can sell onboard.
As with GO transit what they need is a community or a group of stores at the station.

Like Ajax. But I don't know why that failed so badly. Why did all of the tenants go out of business?

As with GO transit what they need is a community or a group of stores at the station.

Like Ajax. But I don't know why that failed so badly. Why did all of the tenants go out of business?
I don't know about specific stations but I imagine a lot has to do with location. A lot of VIA stations are either downtown and/or surrounded by commercial/industrial land because the main function of the line is freight. As for GO, it would be pretty hard for many suburban stations to attract enough traffic to make a business viable. Perhaps as frequency increases.

As for the airlines, being fed used to simply be part of the fare. Back in the '80s when I flew back and forth between N/W Ont/Winnipeg regularly, we were always fed. That was before the days of regional props serving non-remote communities; DC-9s, HS 748s; all had galleys. Heck, even with Austin Airways on scheduled runs in Twin Otters they had a coffee thermos, pop and passed around bags of cookies.

Without having much knowledge about that particular station: in Europe, rail stations have a lot of foot traffic, even from non-travelers. In my home city of Darmstadt (a population center 30 km South of Frankfurt), the Supermarket inside the rail station makes almost half of its revenues on Sundays, when it is the only grocery shop in the city legally allowed to have opened (rail stations and airports are excempt from limits on shop’s opening hours). This model couldn’t be further from GO’s “let’s build a square mile of car parking around each of our stations!” approach…

Last edited:
Or how about selling actual meals for economy class? Even at $25.00 I would pay that if I didn't have time to get it before boarding. Otherwise I'm stuck with cheese and crackers.

They used to have subs and stuff but they got rid of it.

They have been doing this for 3 or 4 years now. You can buy whatever extra VIA1 meals there may in Economy. A friend of mine has done this on almost every one of his trips since they launched it.

Dan

They have been doing this for 3 or 4 years now. You can buy whatever extra VIA1 meals there may in Economy. A friend of mine has done this on almost every one of his trips since they launched it.

Dan
I tried that several times and they said they don't have extra meals due to low ridership during COVID.

Unless that has changed....in the past few months

Because in general we are terrible of thinking of mixed use. Blows my mind, for example, that we don't build grocery stores at every GO train station. But that's a whole separate discussion.

Because in general we are terrible of thinking of mixed use. Blows my mind, for example, that we don't build grocery stores at every GO train station. But that's a whole separate discussion.
Gently touching on this note, a big issue about this is that many stations such as Bloomington are located in the middle of nowhere and is designed as pure commuter stops. That means outside of actual rush hours chances are there will be hardly any business for these stores. It'll he a huge money pit for rush hour traffic mainly. Maybe with the core rer stations it could be more practical but it's going to be hard to justify unless go shifts completely from commuter rail to regional express rail. Hope they can do something like this for union Station though

When I've done this (pre-Covid) they've made you wait until around Kingston to make sure they have enough meals.

When they got rid of the canteen, they promised that it was an improvement for the customers, as you'd be able to get the same food - but at your seat. Another broken VIA promise.

Time to bring back the canteens.

When I've done this (pre-Covid) they've made you wait until around Kingston to make sure they have enough meals.

When they got rid of the canteen, they promised that it was an improvement for the customers, as you'd be able to get the same food - but at your seat. Another broken VIA promise.

Time to bring back the canteens.
Maybe for the benefit of less ancient users in this forum: what was the „canteen“ and in which century was it discontinued?

Maybe for the benefit of less ancient users in this forum: what was the „canteen“ and in which century was it discontinued?
??? The same as it is on railways that still have it. Some places call it a cafe.

I'm surprised you've never seen it before elsewhere!

Back