News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

At least the GM et al did what they did to advance their transit option and not the private auto (ostensibly anyway).

I saw a recent news item on the agricultural 'right-to-repair' issue and was surprised it has taken this long the reach here; it has been a huge issue in the US midwest and assuming the Canadian prairies for quite some time now. The primary issue isn't complexity; although that is a growing factor with self-repair, but the manufacturers holding on to proprietary codes and software. This was an issue when OBD was first introduced into passenger vehicles - I recall Chrysler was one of the worst offenders, but fault coding was comparatively immature back then and there was a bigger lobby group to force legislation. Apparently the legislation they eventually did write wasn't sufficiently encompassing enough to capture the ag industry.

The technology and complexity has efficiency and cost saving benefits but comes at some eye-watering six digit prices. It's a little easier around here to pick up something used but harder when you need something in the 10,000 acre working range.
Eye watering is correct. In the 10,000 plus workable acres, equipment choices preclude reaching back an era for a simpler product. In the more common Ontario average ( say 250 to 750 production acres) there are more opportunities to employ mid-size units, and the you really have a chance to reach back and work with ’simpler’ versions of todays tractors ( and you are correct, not dealing with codes and software),units that will find uses all over your operation.

The province of Quebec has announced $517.6 million of provincial funding to restore the last segment to Gaspé with the goal of restoring rail service within four years:
IMG_2004.jpeg

The province of Quebec has announced $517.6 million of provincial funding to restore the last segment to Gaspé with the goal of restoring rail service within four years:
View attachment 488363
Good news I guess...
But what do they need to repair that would take 4 years? Or are they just setting really low goalposts and declaring it a victory if they meet the targets?

Driving around Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix the other weekend, I was regularly passing the CAD Railway Industries yard alongside the A20. It was sad seeing multiple gutted Budd cars with VIA branding sitting there. I'm guessing these were the ones sacrificed for the structural tests? Unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures, what with being the driver and all. I never thought of it in time to have my passengers snap a quick pic or two for me. They were on the lead skirting the edge of their parking lot, right at the buffer stops by the road.

Good news I guess...
But what do they need to repair that would take 4 years? Or are they just setting really low goalposts and declaring it a victory if they meet the targets?
There are lots of bridges to be replaced and coastal errosion forces “several kilometers” of costly realignments:
IMG_2005.jpeg

My rusty french and I went looking for some more granular details to explain this strategy. The little I could find....

Quebec has a 2030 Mobility Plan that is mostly aspirational prose but very light on numbers or data to explain how it will be achieved.

There are references to a 2017 Business Case study for the Gaspe railway, but I'm unable to locate it on line.

The government's web site for the project assures the reader that the project has complied with the Quebec government's protocol for justifying major infrastructure proposals.

The first two phases of the project are where the freight business exists today, and their investment amounts are less eye catching.

While the amounts for the Gaspe extension are substantial, one wonders what road repairs or expansion might be known to be required. Those road expenditures may be even harder to justify politically, whereas the rail alternative can at least be presented as "green" and not adding trucks to local roads. And with a good share of the money being spent locally on civil works, it's job creation in itself, which might offset what would otherwise be expended in economic support to the region in employment insurance, etc.

My more jaded comment - it explains why Quebec politicians are so vocal about HxR.... if one were working from a priority list, a government that was sick of waiting for Ottawa might spend money to upgrade the Trois Rivieres line themselves. But once that were done, Ottawa might not see the case for investing in the Gaspe. This way, Quebec gets both, eventually. It's a bit like restoring rail service to Owen Sound while waiting for someone to rescue the Toronto-Kitchener-London line. But maybe it's politically astute as a way of extracting the most money from Ottawa.

- Paul

1687961359935.png

Just from my not-very-extensive knowledge of the area from touristing through there, it seems that Port Daniel is the extent of any significant freight traffic. Chandler and perhaps even Gaspe (~15,000) might account for some more. The cement plant and Port Daniel has been a bit of a pork barrel controversy in itself.

Hwy 132 really (really) does not lend itself to heavy truck traffic. Hopefully, they can maximize the tourism potential of the region, particularly Perce and Forillon NP.

ugh; this debacle says far too much about how seriously VIA views itself.

As low as the numbers got, commuting was still a thing at the peak of COVID. If trains were to be cut these were never the ones that made sense.

I know I’ve already mentioned it, but Peterborough needs a VIA (or GoTrain) route. Fix the track, refurbish the station. It would be a modestly popular route, sustaining at least two round trips per weekday. Summer extensions into cottage country would be good too.

IMG_2572.png

Back