News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

He's getting too carried away. Concentrate on getting then line built, and offer all assistance other than financial, VIA doesn't expect direct local financial assistance. But when it comes to supplying anything beyond a basic for needs station, then *that* becomes the purview of the local municipality. THEY can build the "heritage station" and provide the budget to run it.

As it will stand, they will get a "cookie cutter station", and be thankful for it. Perhaps some of the developers who will cash in from Smith-Falls being back in the game can contribute?

Honestly, a station like what Moose Rail is proposing for Ottawa is good enough for Perth:

tii6T8o.png

Sc4Ch0s.png

Many more stops like this and the HSR will become the slow boat to China. The more stations in little places like this the slower the train between the Mon/Ott/Tor and the less competitive it becomes with the car or even bus. This is exactly what VIA shouldn't be doing.

Many more stops like this and the HSR will become the slow boat to China. The more stations in little places like this the slower the train between the Mon/Ott/Tor and the less competitive it becomes with the car or even bus. This is exactly what VIA shouldn't be doing.

To get the smaller communities on board with 200 km/hr + trains flying through their town I would suspect that the gov't will have to give them some sort of benefit to reduce the complaints. Guessing they will build sidings with stations in the small towns. And have a 2x - 3x daily train each way that serve these smaller towns (morning commuter, mid-day and evening return). The stations can be fairly short (but longer sidings to ensure smooth passing of the higher speed trains).

Maybe express from Toronto to Peterborough and then local to Ottawa. Local from Ottawa until Lachute and then express into Montreal. (GO has everything closer than Peterborough in the Toronto region)

Perth wouldn't generate enough business to justify more than a couple of trains stopping per day - I doubt VIA would schedule every train to stop.

A couple of trains a day though is a whole lot better than the current none, so even that level of service would be good news for Perth and good for whatever revenue VIA can earn.

Still, I wonder what the service guarantee for Kingston, Belleville, and Cobourg will be. Removing the through fares from that route can only spell cutbacks in service to these towns. I'm wondering when we will hear from the mayors down that way.

- Paul

Yes, VIA clearly needs to balance the needs/expectations of long-distance passengers against the convenience for passengers (or potential passengers) in smaller places en route. To a certain extent they do this now but having some trains with very limited stops so they can run express..

The collingwood line is also very straight, only a single curve on the whole thing from Barrie, and even the curve has a massive radius.

Would have the added benefit of servicing Angus, a fast growing community west of Barrie. I agree that the corridor could work, the trip from Barrie to Collingwood could probably be made in less than 30 minutes on the train, compared to a 45 minute drive today. If the Barrie line gets the 3rd track that GO seems to be planning that would allow for express trains, I could see around 2 hour trip times from Union to Collingwood, comparable to freeflow traffic travel times from Toronto.

The only really restrictive thing you are probably looking at is cost. I could see it costing upwards of a couple hundred million to put in place, even with no new spurs and just a new station in downtown Collingwood. Plus there is the issue of the location of destinations in Collingwood-Wasaga - spread out and low density. I imagine you could run a shuttle if you had to to the ski hills and beaches though.
Go is planning a third track for Barrie? How would they fit in the corridor?

Looks like the Mayor of Perth is speculating that VIA HFR will be in the upcoming Federal budget:

Fenik anticipates Perth-Smiths Falls rail link announcement in federal budget

If funded, VIA HFR would represent the first major inter-city rail investment in decades. I am really excited to learn more about this project.
Exciting to see!
If this becomes a reality it would be a massive step forward for inter-city rail. Not just for what it will directly, but for what I can also set the stage for in the future. I am really jazzed about this!
Welcome to the board!

This, in the cited article, caught my eye: " Fenik said he sent a clear message to the VIA Rail representatives that “this community would be 100 per cent behind a rail stop in Perth that would continue on to Smiths Falls,” he said. But, he did want some recognition for Perth’s heritage reputation. He wanted to see a station built on the site of where the old train station stood. “Not a cookie cutter VIA Rail station, but a heritage one.” "

Project creep, before it is even a project!

There are some constraint points to a 3 track layout. Specifically, the Davenport Overpass will only be 2 lanes, the Downsview Park station has been built for only 2 tracks, and old newmarket only has a corridor width for 2 tracks.

Metrolinx is planning a 3rd track longer term I believe, to facilitate eventual express trains. It won't run the entire corridor, but will be enough for express trains to pass the locals. You could run it from Mulock all the way down to Downsview Park station, or 36km. More than enought for express trains to pass.

There are some constraint points to a 3 track layout. Specifically, the Davenport Overpass will only be 2 lanes, the Downsview Park station has been built for only 2 tracks, and old newmarket only has a corridor width for 2 tracks.

Metrolinx is planning a 3rd track longer term I believe, to facilitate eventual express trains. It won't run the entire corridor, but will be enough for express trains to pass the locals. You could run it from Mulock all the way down to Downsview Park station, or 36km. More than enought for express trains to pass.

Good news: according to the front page story from a few days ago, Downsview Park station has been built for up to three tracks:

"While the Barrie line currently has just one track for trains, the TTC has built the station with room for as many as three tracks to accommodate Metrolinx plans to expand service along the line, including regional express rail service."

Back