News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'd assume the latter, now that Siemens is manufacturing battery-hybrid Charger locomotives.

They'd need to develop something for faster trainsets, if we do end up with HST - but they've got a good decade to do that.

Call me old-fashioned, but I would call committing to an infrastructure project, which can only be properly used with a rolling stock type which does not currently exist, rather risky, if not to use the word: insane…

Call me old-fashioned, but I would call committing to an infrastructure project, which can only be properly used with a rolling stock type which does not currently exist, rather risky, if not to use the word: insane…
This kind of thing is what turns military procurement into such a disaster so often. Don't plan on something which hasn't even been tested yet working reliably.

On the other hand, the maximum annual political donation is around 3,400$ if I understand this table correctly. If and when I get out of graduate school, it's almost a tempting proposition to see if I could actually get someone in the LPC (or for that matter, the other parties) to pay attention and actually advocate for HFR.

CN ignoring a committee hearing shows you how much the the railroads really care about the situation and passenger trains. They know the can get away with anything as the Federal government has no balls to enforce the acts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/via-rail-holiday-delays-transport-committee-1.6726889
So have a court order them to show up or fine them everytime they don't show. And they should pay a fine everytime a VIA train is late due to CN.

It's amazing that 100 years ago people depended on the train to know what time it is. Now we can't even arrive on the same day.

From the House of Commons "Procedure and Practice" website:

"Although they can send for certain persons, standing committees do not have the power to punish a failure to comply with their orders in this regard. Only the House of Commons has the disciplinary powers needed to deal with this type of offence.164 If a witness refuses to appear, or does not appear, as ordered, the committee’s recourse is to report the matter to the House.165 Once seized with the matter, the House takes the measures that it considers appropriate."

Being a Crown Corporation, I am sure there are any number of ways to 'convince' somebody to appear.

The remedy is not to "punish" CN executives for non-attendance at a parliamentary meeting.

The remedy is to change the law so that CN's obligations to VIA's operations are more of a level playing field.

- Paul

From the House of Commons "Procedure and Practice" website:

"Although they can send for certain persons, standing committees do not have the power to punish a failure to comply with their orders in this regard. Only the House of Commons has the disciplinary powers needed to deal with this type of offence.164 If a witness refuses to appear, or does not appear, as ordered, the committee’s recourse is to report the matter to the House.165 Once seized with the matter, the House takes the measures that it considers appropriate."

Being a Crown Corporation, I am sure there are any number of ways to 'convince' somebody to appear.
CN is not a crown corporation which is why they can ignore it. But if the minister orders the regulatory authority to investigate then, they would need to appear before Transport Canada, and for that, they must show up.

CN is not a crown corporation which is why they can ignore it. But if the minister orders the regulatory authority to investigate then, they would need to appear before Transport Canada, and for that, they must show up.
They say they will attend, and are trying to arrange a date.

How much noticed did they Parliament give?

Strange. Treasury Board thinks it is.

Maybe somebody should call them.

I don't see CN on the list of crown corporations?
They ceased being a Crown Corporation when they were privatized in 1995, just like Air Canada was in 1988:
5A20391F-4D4F-4685-BC28-E10D1881C162.jpeg

Yesterday, VIA posted an RFI for the replacement of its long distance fleet (HEP1 and Renaissance). Includes new motive power.

VIA RAIL CANADA INC. LONG DISTANCE REGIONAL AND REMOTE FLEET RENEWAL PROJECT NOTICE OF MARKET CONSULTATION

VIA Rail intends to renew its existing long distance regional and remote fleet by selecting a supplier to design, manufacture, test, supply, deliver and commission cars and motive power and ancillary equipment (on-board and offboard) with a prescribed capacity of car types (seated coaches, sleeper, diners, multi-purpose, baggage) through an open competitive procurement process (the “Long Distance Regional and Remote Fleet Renewal Project”).

Yesterday, VIA posted an RFI for the replacement of its long distance fleet (HEP1 and Renaissance). Includes new motive power.

VIA RAIL CANADA INC. LONG DISTANCE REGIONAL AND REMOTE FLEET RENEWAL PROJECT NOTICE OF MARKET CONSULTATION

Excellent find!

We're not at the right stage yet, but something to watch for will obviously be fleet size and/or provision for supplementary orders.

Most of us here aren't utopians expecting the return of the golden age of rail travel, but most believe there can and should be more of it in this country than there is currently.

To see if government is giving any weight to adding back 2 or 3 routes, or improving frequency on 2-3 others, seeing how much provision there is for capacity for same is key.

I was also thinking that the parliamentary committee should have asked VIA re representatives if they themselves took the train to the meeting or did they fly? And they should be required to ride every route from end to end at least once a year. So that they themselves can understand the quality of service.

Back