News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I haven't read about how loud the interior is compared to the old trains. I'll measure the db next time but as an autistic guy I need noise cancellation earbuds or I'll go insane. Never that issue in the other trains. Seems that the smooth surfaces amplify sound much more.

Some of U.S. railroads have had this stock (Ventures) since '20; should we not be past this type of teething issue by now? (doors opening unexpectedly/dangerously).
It is not unthinkable that there are some modifications/customizations for VIA which are causing teething issues, but I should have cautioned that these claims are just rumours, which will need to be verified. My apologies if I scared anyone needlessly…

Last edited:
It is not unthinkable that there are some modifications/customizations for VIA which are causing teething issues, but I should have cautioned that these claims are just rumours, which will need to be verified. My apologies if I scared anyone needlessly…

Your rumours are better than many people's 'facts'.

So I always appreciate you err'ing on the side of sharing more info.

The question was a sincere one though, if the rumours are true, I would be somewhat concerned to see on going teething at that level 3 years after the introduction of the current model.

According to this thread (which was previously linked here) there should be 2 train sets in service (if not more by now).
The same contributor has posted the following cycling plan a few days later, which shows only one Venture Set in operation at any given time:
IMG_2636.jpeg

I keep taking the train to Montreal and no Siemens trains. I really thought by now they would be in service…

I keep taking the train to Montreal and no Siemens trains. I really thought by now they would be in service…

They are, but unless you are taking the train from either Ottawa or Quebec City to Montreal, it will likely be a while before you can ride on one, until all of the OMQ trains are using them. VIA will want to keep them as close to MMC as possible. After that I would guess Toronto-Montreal would be next (as they would still frequent MMC).

They are, but unless you are taking the train from either Ottawa or Quebec City to Montreal, it will likely be a while before you can ride on one, until all of the OMQ trains are using them. VIA will want to keep them as close to MMC as possible. After that I would guess Toronto-Montreal would be next (as they would still frequent MMC).
Operationally, it makes the most sense to use the Siemens trains on all of the Ottawa-Montréal-Québec City trains first, as it will allow VIA to tighten up their schedules and do away with the backing-out-of-Central procedure that most of the trains have to do - and which costs them 10+ minutes per trip.

Once all of those trains have been be converted, the next thing to look at is the trips that feature changes of direction each day, and especially in places like Ottawa where changing the direction of a train can be problematic due to the schedules of other trains arriving and departing on the single track to the east.

Dan

Operationally, it makes the most sense to use the Siemens trains on all of the Ottawa-Montréal-Québec City trains first, as it will allow VIA to tighten up their schedules and do away with the backing-out-of-Central procedure that most of the trains have to do - and which costs them 10+ minutes per trip.

Once all of those trains have been be converted, the next thing to look at is the trips that feature changes of direction each day, and especially in places like Ottawa where changing the direction of a train can be problematic due to the schedules of other trains arriving and departing on the single track to the east.

Dan
It makes a big difference indeed, I was lucky to have a couple of trips coming back home and saved about 15 minutes on the trip, that without backing up and no one stopping at Coteau.

True.

That is another good point. Back when there was 5 trains a day to/from Montreal and 10 trains a day to/from Toronto, I can imagine this could be a challenge. One thing though is as they retire trainsets, they should have extra locomotives available that they could put on the back end of more legacy trainsets, to have them run bi-directionally (assuming the locomotives are still useable for a bit longer). This would help with redundancy, so that if one locomotive breaks down, the other could be used to power the train (providing HEP if nothing else).

It is probably irrelevant now, but I am surprised VIA didn't add double track between the Ottawa station and the wye to make it easier to turn around trains without having to wait for the incoming train to arrive.

VIA only just executed the contract to modify the TMC for the new equipment.

I expect they will not roll out "full" service to Toronto until they can service trains here.

Some turnbacks to Montreal and/or Ottawa seem possible even at present.

- Paul

VIA only just executed the contract to modify the TMC for the new equipment.

I expect they will not roll out "full" service to Toronto until they can service trains here.

Some turnbacks to Montreal and/or Ottawa seem possible even at present.

- Paul
The new trainsets can and will be able to be serviced in Toronto prior to the facility being completed. And for the record, they only just executed the contract to modify the MMC for the new equipment, too.

What the new facilities will allow them is more heavy-duty maintenance without breaking apart the trainsets. As it stands today, they can do everything that they need to do to the new trainsets right down to a heavy overhaul at both, but they would have to do it piecemeal, one car at a time.

Dan

July 30
Need to be quick to get shots of VIA yard from the REM and I should had used a faster speed for shots

Caught 2201 & 2204 in the yard
53106158568_debc71fda7_b.jpg

Took a train from Montreal to Toronto yesterday. Instead of arriving around 10:30pm, we've arrived to Toronto at 1am. It's pretty ridiculous. I love trains and will keep taking them, but it's just embarrassing what kind of train system we have between 2 biggest and the best cities in Canada.
Can't wait for the the new trains and Hight Frequency service to kick in. Hope it will improve the experience significantly. Also, it's weird that the platforms at Union station are not leveled and we have to use pretty dangerous stairs to climb the train with all the bags and stuff.. And this is the most important and the busiest station in Canada.

Back