8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
A fleet of Coach Canada buses have arrived on Front Street and confused passengers are milling about.

So far, lots of media but no picketers.

Last edited:
It'd figure that this would happen two weeks before the first time I use VIA in eighteen years. Nevertheless, though, I can't understand what VIA management's thinking - it's not as if they can stay solvent for long with none of their trains running.

It'd figure that this would happen two weeks before the first time I use VIA in eighteen years. Nevertheless, though, I can't understand what VIA management's thinking - it's not as if they can stay solvent for long with none of their trains running.

It's not as though they'll go out of business, either. The federal government would never allow the only passenger train line in the country to go broke. Management knows this. Don't worry, the average citizen will pay for it, no matter who comes out on top.

Does anyone have details, or a link to them from an unbiased source, that spells out each sides position?

I've heard the engineers have not had a contract since January 1, 2008. That would mean no raise last year or this year. Also I heard they don't get paid sick days and don't regularly get two days off in a row.

However, I don't know what their salary is and would like to know if they have chosen to forgoe the above mentioned benefits in prior contracts in favour of other benefits, like more pay or more vacation days.

I was supposed to travel to TO today and am stuck in Ottawa. I'll just drive back tomorrow morning. As inconvenient as it is, this strike I can kinda understand. 2.5 years is a long time to go without a contract. I just wished they warned the public about it it a little more.

Last edited:
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/07/26/via-strike-ends.html

Via Rail strike ends
Last Updated: Sunday, July 26, 2009 | 8:06 AM ET CBC News

Via Rail trains will be rolling again later Sunday after the company and the union for striking locomotive engineers agreed to settle their differences through binding arbitration, ending a two-day walkout.

The two sides came to an agreement early Sunday morning after working with a federally appointed mediator.

The strike had paralyzed train passenger traffic across the country and forced Via to issue ticket refunds to thousands of customers.

Via Rail Canada normally shuttles about 11,000 passengers around the country every day.

Improved work schedules, benefits and training are among the demands of the 340 engineers, who have been without a contract for 2½ years.

Via Rail announced Saturday that it had issued layoff notices to hundreds of employees who work on trains and in stations and maintenance centres. Those people were expected to be called back to work.

Via Rail has 10 departures scheduled Sunday, starting around 6 p.m. ET.

Five trains will leave Montreal for arrivals in Halifax, Gaspé, Ottawa, Toronto and Quebec City. Another five trains will leave Toronto for Montreal and destinations in Ontario, including Ottawa, Sarnia, Windsor and London.

Full service on most routes was expected to resume early Monday morning.

They are giving 60% off till Wednesday. I booked a same day train ride this evening and it only cost me 50 bucks from Guildwood to Ottawa. That's nearly as cheap as gas money! And it's cheaper than the bus!

Thanks to reservia.viarail.ca apparently not working, I haven't been able to buy a ticket for three days now. This is getting kind of ridiculous.

Back